Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:09 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was going to answer this question on the FAQ on my new site i am building and i didnt have a clue! So, why are some DC cases white and some are black?
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:12 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Black cases are the Sega Sports editions.
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:14 am
quote : #3
the dreamcast has only ever bee mass produced as white. there have, along the way, been special releases such as red and blue ones (a very rare one only 5000 in japan early on) and then an american one that was black specially for the sports games it was bundled with. anyothers i dont know of personally but i am pretty sure its not been done in any other colours for long periods of time.
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:45 am
quote : #4
I am sorry, i wasnt clear what i was asking. I mean the cover on the games cases. The earlier games had white arc on the left side of the cover art and said SEGA DREAMCAST on the inley. The later ones had a black arc with DREAMCAST written on the cover itself. Why did sega switch?
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:52 am
quote : #5
oh right you mean the ntsc disk covers, yes i have often wondered this, i have about 30 imports and have more white and orange than black, would be interesting to know.
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:56 am
quote : #6
Yeah, I've wondered that myself. Was it just a decision that was made at a certain date, and then all later games were made the new way?

No matter what the real explanation is, I think it can be said that Sega has done stranger things.
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:57 am
quote : #7
I think it was a marketing decision. I know that early on in the lifespan of the US dreamcast, all the manuals had the white arc, and then sometime in 2000 all new games changed to the black arc.
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:04 am
quote : #8
I like the black borders more than the white. While it doesn't jive with the console's color, it just looks more hip.

-Mytho

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:14 am
quote : #9
I suppose they could have done worse than white. Remember the SMS cases?
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:31 am
quote : #10
I thought the black cases looked pretty stylish. the white cases looked okay, but black cases look awesome
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:10 pm
quote : #11
Mommy, why are some people white and some people black?
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:50 pm
quote : #12
"Some people were made black as a marketing decision, son. Now eat your vegtables."

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:52 pm
quote : #13
MK wrote:
Mommy, why are some people white and some people black?

I cant decide if your just being funny or you are being an ***
If your just being funny, thats cool. If your trying to act like an *** then stop. Thats not how you act on this board.
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:29 pm
quote : #14
I'm not too sure about the date but around the summer of '00 Sega changed the style to just say "dreamcast" and have it all in black just for style and marketing decesions. I was going to make a thread about this but to see which color cases people had the most of: black or white. A while back I kept my games in a shoebox. It became over crowded so I took them all out and decided to stack then up each with their respective color. Amazingly I had the same amount of blacks and the same amount of whites(three web browsers though). Soon after I bought 6 DC games. Amazingly again there were 3 blacks and 3 whites. I just found it kinda weird, thats all. Neutral
Dream
Cast
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:12 pm
quote : #15
Ohhhh the cover art for games. Yea musta been a marketing change. I personally like the black ones the best. I think because the white ones have the little orange light thing on it like the front of the dreamcast and it was obviously made in photoshop really fast. A design look anyone could have done. Same with the gamecube covers, at the upper left hand corner it has the "only for" thingy....a cheap beveled triangle design. Its on all games that are GC exclusives. Puffy cheap photoshop beveling should be banned. Man does it look unprofessional hehe.