Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:42 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was browsing jandaman.com and I came across two VGA-like items. I'm just wondering what the difference is between the two. Specifically, I was curious as to what kind of PC monitor each needs. I just bought a 17" CRT monitor, so I wanted to see how my games would look on that. Finally, how does the sound work?

Box: http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=dcvgabox&Category_code=DC
Cable: http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=dcvgacable&Category_Code=DC
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:03 am
quote : #2
I bought the box. The difference between the box and the cable, is the box offers additional red, white, yellow, and s-video outputs that you can run to a tv, while it has the vga and headphone jack that you can run to a computer monitor and a pair of speakers. There's a switch on the box to flip between the 2. You can also mix and match the sound outputs. For instance, I output through the VGA to a monitor, while I output the sound through the red and white jacks to my stereo reciever.

Any other questions?

Posted Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:06 am:

I'd also like to mention my only gripes about the box are 2 things. The box doesnt plug in very snuggly in the DC, and can be yanked out with a small pull. To fix this, I took a post-it note, trimmed off all the non-sticky section, and applied the sticky part around the plug for the vga box, and that was all it needed to make it a much more tight fit.

My second gripe is I wish all the jacks on the box weren't recessed inside the box itself as much. I use very thick, well shielded RCA cords which hafta to kind of fight their way in the box's groove, to plug in. Not much of an issue though once they are in.

There, I'm helpful around here aren't I?

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:19 am
quote : #3
Indeed you are. Very Happy

So then; If one were to buy the cable, then... does that mean... that they wouldn't have any sound? That would be odd.

Play-Asia.com finally has their forever-preordering "Hais"-style VGA box in stock... I think that they (or the manufacturer) were waiting until they had enough preorders to make production worthwhile, so, that's why they kept pushing the arrival date back. If you get one there, then, save one for me! Wink
SirSolBadguy
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:13 am
quote : #4
Well I heard rumors that some VGA cables didnt have a headphone jack on them, but I dunno. I say no matter what, always go a a vga BOX instead, as they are just 1 or 2 dollars more.

Hmm I would still recomend getting the VGA Box Jandaman sells. Mostly because it's much cheaper, and he is THE most reliable person on the net to get video game imports from. He's not much of a talker though, and tends to not let you know when he ships your item unless you ask, but sure enough the item comes very quickly and carefully wrapped.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:28 pm
quote : #5
i notice some games say vga box supported, others say vga cable. does it matter for a game, or can i do that for any vga supported title?
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:52 pm
quote : #6
If it says anything about vga it will work on either cable or box. And if it doesn't mention VGA, there's a 95% chance it will work with it still. I only know of 2 games that dont work on my VGA box so far. They are Bangai-O and King of Fighters 99 Evolution. And I have tested about a 100 dc games.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:17 pm
quote : #7
thanks. what monitors support it? I have Dell. Do you need more specs?
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:13 pm
quote : #8
Any monitor that does 640x480 and 60htz should work. And of course you need a monitor with the typical analog vga plug. Some of the newest monitors use DVI or something. It's a digital cord.

Pingu
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:02 am
quote : #9
Add Bakumatsu Roman Daini Tobari: Gekka no Kenshi Final Edition and garou densetsu mark of the wolves. Probably none of the neogeo ports works with the VGA box, at least with just straight booting.
Posted:
Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:22 pm
quote : #10
What? Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves and King of Fighters 2002 work just fine.

Pingu
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:28 am
quote : #11
Hmm, must have been misstaken about garou then, sorry ^^;;
Posted:
Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:53 am
quote : #12
Most, not all, but MOST of the dreamcast games that don't work with the VGA boxes can be fooled into working just fine by booting the dreamcast with the vga/composite toggle flipped to "Composite" and as soon as the Dreamcast starts to boot up flip the toggle to "VGA". I have done this for years and almost all of my non vga games work perfectly when "tricked" into booting up. The dreamcast checks what kind of connection is present (composite or vga) and if the game doesn't "support" the vga standard, then you get a stupid screen that says the video mode isn't supported. You can work around this hardware "check" by using the above method and it works perfectly with about %98 of the non vga games out there! This is a reason to get a box with the toggle switch instead of the vga cable!

Douglas

Smile