Topic: Best arcade fighter stick?

Page 1 of 1
SirSolBadguy
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm always hearing about how all these fighters on dreamcast are tons better if you own a quality arcade stick for them. Personally, I always have sucked using a stick instead of a d-pad, but if I practice enough, will I really get better at the game using a stick instead?

And does anyone know what the best stick is for DC and where to buy one? Keep in mind I want one that's as universal for all the different types of fighters on DC (4 button 3d fighters like Soul Calibur, 4 button 2d fighters like Fatal Fury, and 6 button 2d fighters like Street Fighter 3). Hmm so I guess that would mean I'd need a stick with a button layout on the front like this:

X-Y-L
A-B-R

And also it would be nice if someone knew the durability of said stick controller. I dont want one that will get loose or break after a while.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:11 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The best bet is to get a PS2 arcade stick from japan, and get a convertor. Get a Hori Arcade Fighting stick, or one of the Sammy SNK vs Capcom sticks. Check play-asia. It's a bit pricy but trust me....it's worth it.

MOST arcade sticks in the retail market are cheap, feel un-responsive and are lightwight and poorly built.

Get a really good stick. Getting some average stick will just feel terrible.
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:01 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
The best bet is to get a PS2 arcade stick from japan, and get a convertor. Get a Hori Arcade Fighting stick, or one of the Sammy SNK vs Capcom sticks. Check play-asia. It's a bit pricy but trust me....it's worth it.

MOST arcade sticks in the retail market are cheap, feel un-responsive and are lightwight and poorly built.

Get a really good stick. Getting some average stick will just feel terrible.

Phew uh..yeah a little too pricey.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:42 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well then if those are too pricy then I don't recommend getting an arcade stick. Buying a cheap one will only result in trauma. I recommend instead getting a sega saturn pad or one similar. The sega saturn pad is prolly the best pad for fighters.
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:25 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
...I recommend instead getting a sega saturn pad or one similar. The sega saturn pad is prolly the best pad for fighters.

It definitely is. Whenever I play any 2D Dreamcast fighting game, I insist on using a Saturn pad with a controller adapter (if not an arcade stick). If you can do it, it's the only way to play.

Getting yourself one (or a pair) of those "PlayStation and Saturn and keyboard to Dreamcast" adapters will really pay off; you will be able to use the awesome Saturn controllers, and also pretty much any modern "universal" controller (since the PlayStation controller format will be around for a long time).

If you can get yourself the proper adapters, you can get decent "universal" sticks from Nuby (Soul Calibur II Stick), Pelican (Universal Arcade Stick), or Radica / Gamester (Reflex Arcade Stick) for about $20 (if you look hard around the web).
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:07 pm
quote : #6
One stick that I've had a great deal of luck with is the Nuby Soul Calibur II Universal Arcade Stick. I picked up a pair of them from my local Gamestop store for just $29 each.

They are black with a decorative Soul Calibur II mural on the front , and they are very sturdy and well designed. The sticks are compatible for use with PS 1 & 2, Gamecube, and X Box. Plus, as Lordnikon said, you can use a PS controller converter with them on Dreamcast. They work great with every fighting game out there, and they were about $20 cheaper than the typical well made licensed arcade stick.

Here's a picture of it at toysnjoys.com although it's more expensive there: http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_ps2_2c.html

How are my little crackers doing today?
SirSolBadguy
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:19 pm
quote : #7
Hmm interesting ideas...I know for a fact that if there really is an adaptor that lets you plug in a pc keyboard, pc mouse, saturn pad, or playstation pad (This is all in just 1 adaptor?!) Then I shall definantly buy that. I could definantly enjoy street fighters way more on a saturn pad with those 6 front buttons. And then I would look into stick options at a later date. But I have never even heard of such a universal adaptor before. Could you please give me a link?

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:57 pm
quote : #8
The "Total Control 5 Plus 3 in 1" and "Dream Connection 3 in 1" at the bottom of this page are sold out, but they are the product that you're talking about:
http://www.lik-sang.com/?click=cat-206-link

I got my set of adapters off of eBay for pretty cheap. I think they are made by Innovation (I've been meaning to write a review but haven't gotten around to it yet). I'm definitely satisfied with them.
SirSolBadguy
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:25 pm
quote : #9
Hmm interesting. I guess I really dont need a keyboard or mouse adaptor, as I already have the official sega ones. Also I didnt realize that you would need a vmu slot on the adaptor itself. I totally forgot about that...a lot of dc games refuse to save on anything but controller 1 - slot a.

Um also, how come some of these support ps1 dual shock rumble without the required power outlet?