Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:35 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Yessss it can play any of those media formats mentioned from a cd. In fact, afaik the only thing it can do over the net is shoutcast. I think it can however load media over your home network. As for the whole VCD thing, thats what I wanna know. I mean, its a fact that it can do mpeg1, but can it read it when burned as a VCD or does it have to be in raw mpeg files thrown on a disc. Hell, it might not even play mpegs of that bitrate very well.... Anyway, heres what I know for a fact it can do...

DIVX
MPEG1
MP3 with or without VBR
OGG
JPEG (you can actully use jpegs for wallpaper in the gui)
Amiga sound format files
Atari ST sound format files
NSF (NES Sound Format files)
Not sure of the ext. but suposedly it has support for SNES sound format too.
TXT files

Now, that stuff about it supporting the amiga and atari st files is something im not 100% certain on. I know for an absolute fact though that those plugins are in the Jess Lysen special edition of the original dcplaya. I simply assume that they carry over into the new version.

One more thing. Unless you know how to make a self booting disc from plain files, stay away from that link to download on sourceforge. You cant simply burn a 1st_read.bin and ip.bin onto a cd and expect it to boot up. I suggest looking elsewhere for an nrg or cdi of it somewhere if your not aquainted with selfbooting a homebrew app. If there isnt one out there already, then there will be soon.
Posted:
Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:45 pm
quote : #17
i attempted a selfboot, cause ive selfbooted everything else thats not selfboot, but i had no luck after i burnt the 1st cd and since i didnt want to revise and maybe waste another cd i just used dchakker
Posted:
Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:56 pm
quote : #18
i had probs selfbooting this baby too. so dchakker it is for now, but i will figure out how to selfbbot this and i think i have an idea on what to do.

i am so impressed with this release. its highly recomended by me.
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:10 am
quote : #19
ok so can it browse cds or does it just autorun them? if it doesnt run vcds that doesnt bother me as i have mpegs that i would like to burn and run, but if it doesnt browse then how does it work?
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:17 am
quote : #20
I haven't ried the new version but in 1.2 you can browse your discs and I don't think they have changed it so YES you can.
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:46 am
quote : #21
Uh huh, if its the same as the original, just click cd and then browse the directorys. It wouldnt be much of a media player if it couldnt.
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:07 am
quote : #22
cool well i'll try and burn that and use it later, should be sweet. i know there are ways to play vcd's on dc but what exactly would i need? theres somekind of disc you can buy i think but i dont know which it is
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:34 am
quote : #23
Oh yeah, there are several vcd players for dreamcast. Smile One is a homebrew you can get for free on dchomebrew.org, but it lags the audio pretty bad from what I've heard. Then there is the Xing Hong player which was commercial, but widely available on the net. The problem is, its nearly impossible to control and starts laging the audio after a few minutes. There really is no substitute for the Dreammovie player though. It costs about $26 USD at http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=29&products_id=1175& and includes a remote and the player disc. Aparently its as good on vcd playback as any dvd player is, but doesnt support svcd mpeg2. One nice thing is that you can use pal or ntsc vcd's on any pal or ntsc dreamcast. That should be useful for you folks in the UK.
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:41 am
quote : #24
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well I have the dreammovie package and it simply will not work on a PAL Dreamcasdt or at least it never did for me....I tried it on two PAL (UK) DCs and then sent it back for a replacement, i then received the replacement and it didnt work again, so I cracked open my NTSC DC and it worked a treat...perfect playback....but from my experience it doesnt work on PAL DCS

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:06 am
quote : #25
did you use a boot disc such as game shark or xploder? as it is an ntsc disc that would need to be booted up on a pal via a boot disc. i am only assuming tho, if it wont run on my pal dc i wont fork out the cash, my dvd player is multiregion and recognises vcds pretty well i just thought it'd be awesome to watchem on my dc
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:17 am
quote : #26
Type: NTSC-U/C
lol....yeah I think I have enough understanding about boot discs etc....but actually it doesnt need one to start running....however I did use a number of boot discs to get it to run but none worked.....the software loads up ok but as soon as you try to load a disc to play....thats it it freezes up and thats the end of it.....its a very similar problem to that of PBA bowling.....or at least the problem PBA PBA bowling used to have on a PAL DC....so sadly it just does not work....or at least it didnt for me

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Syndalis
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:33 pm
quote : #27
Well, last night I got a disc with DC player running (via SBI), put a 1000kbit/sec video in divx 4 format, with 48khz 64 kbit/sec mp3PRO audio on the disc, and got GREAT success. This thing beats the pants off of dcdivx. However, there are ALOT of steps involved in clearing the screen of the excess apps that clog it up once you get the movie running (movies run in the background of the apps). Also, I saw no easy way to control the clips.

But, no lag, perfect audio sync, and the best quality yet on the dreamcast insofar as video is concerned.

Posted Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:34 pm:

One other thing...

I also put an SRT file in the directory, and the subiti;es ran PERFECTLY with the film! Woot! Now I can vobsub my dvds, and do all the conversion work in vdubmod, without having to use other apps to permanently bind the subs to the video!
unknown
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:04 am
quote : #28
what disc is that mate? i am really interested in getting a vcd player for my dc but seem to not have much luck.
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:20 am
quote : #29
A disc I made. DCPlaya 2.0 beta, built using Selfboot Inducer.
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:25 am
quote : #30
Syndalis, do me a favor and please see if that thing can play vcd's or not. I'm surprised and disappointed nobody has tried it yet.