Page Location: Home > Archive - PAL PSO > Topic
1, 2  Next
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:20 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Yeah, I'm out here with my grill and a pack of franks waiting for my PAL PSO Ep2 to arrive. Got me a 200 ft phone line and strung together a few extention cords to have my DC and my TV with me, so I figured...hell....why not ask those guys on the DCOC what I should do to prepare myself for when I start playing this game. Afterall, I dont want to be a complete bumbling ID10T when trying to get a game started. Soooo, are there any sites you guys would consider required reading for a n00b who has absolutly no clue what any of the commonly used terminology means, or how the game goes in any way? I just want to be ready when this thing impacts my life like I know it will in a big way.

*SBlade raises can of Budweiser and says "Cheers!".... "Care for a hot dog?"*
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:34 am
quote : #2
usually when I play it, I start playing around 11 at night and before I know it I look at my watch and it's already 3 in the morning so I'm like "omg shit I gotta go to bed!" cause PSO is so freaking fun

anyways, first off. feed your mag. start>items>mag>give items. the more you feed him, the more he'll level up, and therefore, the quicker he'll be able to do the photon blast, the more damage you'll be able to do with your weapon when he's equipped, and the more he'll block enemy attacks

when people say stuff about pipes, for example, "send me a pipe", they're talking about telepipes. these are items you can use to teleport from wherever you are in the map back to your "base," often called the ship or the city, where you can use the bank, buy, or sell items, or start a quest at the hunters guild or use a tekker.

if you find an item with ??? anywhere in the name, that means it's unknown. you can use it like it is, or go to the tekker and have it "appraised" to see what the real name is. that's all tekkers do, they tell you what the name of unkown items are.

guild cards. you need the persons guild card to send simple mail to them. if somebody says "send me your guild card," go to start>chat>my guild card>send and then select who you want to send it to.

simple mail. if you're in a game, or in the lobby, wherever you are, you can send simple mail to somebody on a different ship, different game on the same ship, different game on a different ship, in the lobby, pretty much anybody who's online playing at that time. go to chat>simple mail>send mail and select who you want to send it to, type your message, and hit enter to send it. obviously, to check your simple mail (do this when there's an envelope icon on the top middle of the screen, do the same thing as above, but just select recieved mail instead of send mail

that's about it for now, since I need a shower. any questions, ask me
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:00 am
quote : #3
Thanks for that rundown. I take it a "Mag" is something similar to an Eidolin in Final Fantasy then? Also, I'm somewhat familiar with pipes having some experience with the PS games on sms and genesis, but are there also escapipes? Also, are there any more commonly used terms I should be familiar with?
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:50 am
quote : #4
There are tons of terms, but you'll just have to ask when you hear them. I can't think of them all right now. Smile

As for your Mag, yes, it's like a little friend that hovers over your shoulder. You can "feed" it the support items that you would normally use to heal or power yourself up. As you feed it, it levels up. It will get "hungry" again every few minutes, so you have to keep remembering to feed it. Forgetting about your Mag will leave you much weaker than you otherwise would be, because your Mag stats direcly affect your stats. Leveling up your Mag is just like leveling up yourself; you get stronger. Without a Mag, it's almost like being at a far lower level than you really are.

The other tidbit that I'd like to offer is to play offline. Don't do it all the time, but you will learn a lot and you will be able to unlock the levels for direct access by playing offline. I know that the whole point is online play, but don't totally neglect offline play. You need a little bit to keep things in perspective.

Also, pay very close attention to any "percent bonus" on your weapons. There are four main levels: Forest, Caves, Mines, and Ruins. Every weapon has a "percent" rating for each level. Most are 0% for all four, but some have up to 50% or so bonus on a given level (and some have bonuses for multiple levels). Bringing the right weapon for the right area is a very important thing to remember. A weapon with a 20% bonus on a given level is often going to do a lot more damage on monsters there than a weapon that looks more powerful but has 0%. Bear that in mind.

Lastly, there is one thing you really need to know about "tekking" any weapon with a ? in the name. I'm going to set this part off in a quote, because it's long and complex and you might want to skip it for now.
Quote:
When you tek something, you have the option to say "I don't believe you" to the appraiser. You will still need to pay the 100 meseta (that's what they call money), but it is worth it. You see, the appraiser will change what he says every time. There is a "best case" appraisal, and if the weapon is worth anything, it is worth re-tekking it over and over until the tekker gives you the best possible weapon. Here's the deal:

Two things can change when a weapon is re-appraised. The first is the percents, and the second is the grade of the "special" ability that is tied to the weapon. How much each can change is tied to the "base level" for each. The base level of the percents can be viewed before you tek the weapon, and it can go up (or down) by 0, 5, or 10 percent. All percents change together, and a base level of 0% will never change (it is stuck at 0%). So, a weapon with -5% Forest and +10% Caves has a best-case scenario of +5% Forest and +20% Caves. It has a worst-case scenario of -15% Forest and 0% Caves. (The Mines and Ruins percents will stay at 0% always if those base levels are 0% to start with.) If you want to use a weapon, it is worth it to re-tek until you get the best percents possible.

The other part that can change is the grade of the "special" ability. Say you found a "???? Saber +1" and you want to tek it. We will use the example of the "instant kill" special type. (When re-tekking, a weapon might change the grade - how powerful - its special is, but not the "family" of special, so an "instant kill" type will never become a "lightning damage" type.) The instant-kill family is Dim, Shadow, Dark, Hell, from weakest to strongest. There is a "base level," from which the weapon's grade can go up or down by one level. The trick is that you won't know the base level until you tek it a bunch of times. The base level is the level that is reported most often. So, if this example "???? Saber +1" is most often reported as a "Shadow Saber," then it might sometimes go down and be reported as a "Dim Saber," and it might also go up and be reported as a "Dark Saber." However, it will never become a "Hell Saber." You can find a nice list of the weapon "elements" or "grades" here, but www.planetdreamcast.com/psoworld is also a very good place to look.

Technically, the "grinder," or "plus value" can also go up or down by a max of four (???? Saber +1 can become a Dark Saber +5), but that isn't usually as important as the special grade or the percent. The "grinder" level just increases the attack by a small amount, and you can always add it yourself by applying "grinder" units.

In this case, if you really cared about this weapon, you would re-tekk it until it came out both as a "Dark Saber" and as +5% Forest +20% Caves.

Clear as mud, right? Smile
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:09 pm
quote : #5
Yeah...crystal...I have a headache now, but I think I get the basic premise. hehe Thanks Smile Does the single player game have any sort of linear storyline? Another question, whats this soccer thing I hear about?
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:24 pm
quote : #6
Soccer is a special lobby while you are online. It's basically just a really big open space that you can run around in, and if you run into the "ball" then it will bounce around. You try to nudge it toward the goal. It's gimmicky, but worthwhile for killing time.

And yes, there is a linear storyline. While you travel around the levels, there are these little cones of light that represent "log entries" from "Red Ring Rico," a hunter that went before you. Read her comments (and talk to the "Principal," or mayor), and you'll get the gist of the storyline.

Also, there are many "quests" where you will get to know other characters and expand a bit on the storyline.
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:47 pm
quote : #7
Amazing....thanks for all that information. This game sounds like it will be far greater than I previously even imagined. I think I might just pitch a tent out there by the mailbox afterall! LOL
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:59 pm
quote : #8
Also remember that the form of your mag is based off of what you feed it. If you were to give it lots of moon atomizers ( items which revive a fallen character), it's MIND and DEF would certainly go up, but as your mag gets to becoming higher and higher levels, feeding it a moon atomizer might have adverse effects on it's other attributes. Feeding it certain items that are the same or similar (like two Dimates and a Trimate, for example) when it's 'hungry' (you can feed it three items at a time) will be better than feeding it random items that cause it's attributes to jump up and down. The GC section of OC has a Mag feeding guide that you might want to check out sometime soon, and PSOWorld does as well.

Your Mag, in addition to the DEF, MIND, POW, and DEX attributes (Defense, mind, power, dexterity, respectively) has a 'Synchro %' and 'IQ'. Particular items might raise the mag's IQ but lower it's % and vice versa. If you have a high level mag (the level cap is 200) with high Synchro %'s and IQ, it might randomly revive you if you are to die.

Section ID's are ID's that are assigned to your character right after you create him/her based off of the name you chose and your character class. Different ID's will make different drops more and less common. For example, the Pinkal section ID would be good for Force characters (magic users, basically), because it would cause enemies to drop lots of high level techniques that they could learn. Pinkal would NOT be good for characters such as HUcasts (androids) that can't cast techniques at all. You can find a section ID calculator here and guide as to what section ID's cause what drops here.
Posted:
Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:29 pm
quote : #9
Ah yes, character classes. They can be really confusing, but here's a quick (well, sort of quick) rundown:

There are three major types (FO, RA, HU), three races (Human, Newman, Android), and two genders (male, female).

A character class contains all three of these elements. The first two letters tell you the major type, the next three letters tell you the race, and the last letter can tell you the gender. FO/RA/HU is self-explanatory. Humans start with "mar," Newmans start with "new," and Androids start with "cas." Female character classes end in "L" while male character classes do not. So...

FOnewearl = Force, Newman, Female
HUcast = Hunter, Android, Male
RAmar = Ranger, Human, Male

FO is Force, which is a technique (like magic) user. RA is Ranger, which is a gun user. HU is Hunter, which is a melee-fighter. (The term "hunter" is also a generic term for all characters, so that can be kind of confusing.) There is some overlap (some guns, melee weapons, and techniques can be used by all classes).

Human is a generally well-balanced race. Newman is an elf-like race that is somewhat tilted towards "sophisticated" stuff, but less "tough." Android is a robot race which cannot use techniques at all - they have no "mind" statistic - but are immune to poison and are pretty tough.

Gender decides various things; some items are only equippable by males or females (depending on the item).

And finally, some details set aside in quote format:
Quote:
One last note is that not all character classes are selectable (of course a FOcast and FOcaseal would never be possible, due to the definition of an Android). The Dreamcast version of PSO contains the following as selectable classes:

FOnewm
FOnewearl
FOmarl
RAmar
RAcast
RAcaseal
HUnewearl
HUmar
HUcast

The GameCube and Xbox versions added:
FOmar
RAmarl
HUcaseal

This leaves the following four possible character classes that are not selectable on any version to date:
RAnewm
RAnewearl
HUnewm
HUmarl (Most people agree that Red Ring Rico is a HUmarl.)

And of course the two "impossible" character classes (without some sort of a "mind chip"):
FOcast
FOcaseal
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:30 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
Man i saw the topic of this thread and knew exactly what it was about. HAHAHA I just started laughing. Cause when items come to my house I pace around checking the front door, watching for the mailman. I can totally relate.
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:37 am
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Man i saw the topic of this thread and knew exactly what it was about. HAHAHA I just started laughing. Cause when items come to my house I pace around checking the front door, watching for the mailman. I can totally relate.

Yeah dude! It's agonizing! LOL I keep hearing these guys tell me all this kick arse stuff about this game, and it only makes it worse. hehe I'm glad I started this topic though because now I know more than I did, and maybe I'll be prepared for when I do get it, but still... OH, heres a hotdog for ya nikon, and I saved you a 6 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper. Eat up!!
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:45 am
quote : #12
SoldierBlade wrote:
Yeah, I'm out here with my grill and a pack of franks waiting for my PAL PSO Ep2 to arrive. Got me a 200 ft phone line and strung together a few extention cords to have my DC and my TV with me, so I figured...hell....why not ask those guys on the DCOC what I should do to prepare myself for when I start playing this game. Afterall, I dont want to be a complete bumbling ID10T when trying to get a game started. Soooo, are there any sites you guys would consider required reading for a n00b who has absolutly no clue what any of the commonly used terminology means, or how the game goes in any way? I just want to be ready when this thing impacts my life like I know it will in a big way.

*sniff**sniff* RAID THE BQQ! Quick Everyone!!!!!

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:59 am
quote : #13
Doomkiller wrote:
SoldierBlade wrote:

*sniff**sniff* RAID THE BQQ! Quick Everyone!!!!!

I got me a steak! ::hides steak from soldierblade and woofs it down::
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:27 pm
quote : #14
Ha! That was yesterday. We're boilin crawfish tonight ya'll! Aiiiiiieeeeeee Razz
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:24 pm
quote : #15
So? It's Tuesday the 10th already... You got it yet?