Topic: Online?

Page 1 of 2
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Is there a way to play this online through something similar to XBConnect? Do it require a BBA?
rank 14
Posted:
Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:06 pm
quote : #2
No.
Posted:
Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:59 pm
quote : #3
das is true

.... dumb board... great game

Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:19 pm
quote : #4
DreamcastMagic wrote:
das is true

Why is this board dumb?

As for the original question, Scott Robinson, a programmer, had been working on creating netplay for the US version of the game for about 2 years, but he's been ridiculously busy recently, and there have been no updates to his project in almost a year and a half. We'll just have to see what happens (and I suggest you don't spam his message boards asking where your online play is).
Posted:
Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:14 pm
quote : #5
good god ist was a frickin' question. i just wanted to know if there was a program similar to xbconnect for dreamcast.
banned!
Posted:
Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:50 pm
quote : #6
Tao wrote:
DreamcastMagic wrote:
das is true

Why is this board dumb?

As for the original question, Scott Robinson, a programmer, had been working on creating netplay for the US version of the game for about 2 years, but he's been ridiculously busy recently, and there have been no updates to his project in almost a year and a half. We'll just have to see what happens (and I suggest you don't spam his message boards asking where your online play is).

Because I don't like hypocrites,
I have seen tons of great idea of things OC could do for the DC community shot down because of Lord wanting to keep this site only about online games. If you didn't know the project has been abandoned and this game unless picked up (low chance, amazingly). If someone takes such a hardliner stance they shouldn't go soft because they like a game and there was once a project in the works to get it online, if ya notice I think ill be dropping some comments now and then around the board of what im really thinking which is what you just read, like it or not this forum was made to support online gamers for the DC, PS2 and GC communities, spread news, answer questions and express opinions and that’s what it is. Isn’t living in a freethinking society great! Laughing However it all seems a bit hypocritical to me...

Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:00 am
quote : #7
DreamcastMagic wrote:
Tao wrote:
DreamcastMagic wrote:
das is true

Why is this board dumb?

I have seen tons of great idea of things OC could do for the DC community shot down because of Lord wanting to keep this site only about online games. If you didn't know the project has been abandoned and this game unless picked up (low chance, amazingly). If someone takes such a hardliner stance they shouldn't go soft because they like a game and there was once a project in the works to get it online, if ya notice I think ill be dropping some comments now and then around the board of what im really thinking which is what you just read, like it or not this forum was made to support online gamers for the DC, PS2 and GC communities, spread news, answer questions and express opinions and that’s what it is. Isn’t living in a freethinking society great! Laughing However it all seems a bit hypocritical to me...

The idea of including information of locally networked games is NOT A NEW ONE for this site. Look over at the PS2 site and you'll see a list of i.Link compatible games there, as well as System Link games here. And the VO:OT project is NOT deserted. As stated earlier, the creator is very busy and has had no time to update. It is possible that another developer will pick it up.
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:15 am
quote : #8
Tao wrote:
The idea of including information of locally networked games is NOT A NEW ONE for this site. Look over at the PS2 site and you'll see a list of i.Link compatible games there, as well as System Link games here. And the VO:OT project is NOT deserted. As stated earlier, the creator is very busy and has had no time to update. It is possible that another developer will pick it up.

Regard less of it being done in another section its not a online game. And Nikon said it was himself in a post not to long ago it was and its been a year and half, its not that he has insider info but the simple fact its been forever!!! No one who is human can be that busy lol and no developer with the skills seems to even give a rats @ss about the DC so I don't see it going anywhere soon, back on topic.

Steven
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:45 am
quote : #9
I'd just like to point out something about Scott Robinson's website on sourceofrge hasn't been update for over a year. I think he's either dead, gave up, or put the porject on hold.... Mad

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Currently playing : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL)
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:05 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quote:

What have I been hypocritical about? I have said from the beginning that I run onlineconsoles as I see fit. Meaning, I started, created, and run this website and I can do whatever I want with it. If tomarrow I want to put up naked women eating peaches out of a dreamcast well then that's my perogotive.

Quote:
I have seen tons of great idea of things OC could do for the DC community shot down because of Lord wanting to keep this site only about online games.

Let's be realistic. Since March of 2003, I have been working on OnlineConsoles almost exclusivly. No job, not a whole lot of income(I do freelance design to just get by). I have spent countless weeks with no sleep and poor hygene designing, managing, expanding, and running this entire community.

So ... what if I was able to actually start another website, an ALL dreamcast website, or whatever the heck you guys would pester me into doing for the DC community. Would I really have the time to do it? No chance in hell. My hands are beyond full right now.

Do you know how many times I have thought "man I should start a shootemup website, or an all things unreal tournament website, or an avp2 website, or a sega genesis website". Technically I could sit here making and building communities from now until enternity on every fricken topical thing in my field of interest. And guess what, there are only 24 hours in a day, and I just do NOT have the time to do that.

Not having the time to devote to a whole nother dreamcast related project is only 1 side of the coin. The other side is, I am running OnlineConsoles exactly as I want to right now. I will NOT be adding other systems to the website. I will not be making DC-OC an all things Dreamcast website.

Quote:
If you didn't know the project has been abandoned and this game unless picked up (low chance, amazingly).

Yes, I am 100% aware that the network VOOT project is in development hell right now. This VOOT forum was not created in some sort of 'anticipation' that it would get finished. Scott Robinson is busy with real life issues and hasn't had time to get back to it. People just move on. Maybe he'll never get back to it.

Quote:
If someone takes such a hardliner stance they shouldn't go soft because they like a game and there was once a project in the works to get it online...

My hardliner stance is on me running the site...however I want. This site will go in whatever direction I want it to go in. Websites evolve. In April 2003 when the site first launched the site looked sorta different, and functioned extremly different than it does now. About a few months ago, maybe 4-5 not sure how long ago, I decided to include information on locally networked games as well in each of the 3 websites. Starting out as i.link research at the PS2 site, and moving on to declaring the GameCube LAN games, system link rather than 'fooling myself' into thinking the lagfest of 10-15 frames per second, is actually a playable internet gaming experience.

This website is a haven for enthusiasts interested in networking their consoles wether its in real life side by side, or over the internet. I am now pushing system link info at all 3 websites. Why? Because as the site grows I thought it would be interesting to have OC gamers actually meet up in real life and setup locally networked game tournaments.

If you really want an excuse to get all 'iritated', then why don't you go take a look at the GameCube's online game list? Guess whats on there? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals and Zelda 4 Sword Adventures. If you have 3 gamecubes, 1 as the host cube, and 2 with GBA players built in with 3 TV sets, this is system link in a different way.

Quote:
Isn’t living in a freethinking society great!

Yea but this is the internet. The rules are decided by whose pool your swimming in.

Quote:
Regard less of it being done in another section its not a online game.

Idea Bingo thats why its in the System Link catagory. Idea

Quote:
No one who is human can be that busy lol and no developer with the skills seems to even give a rats @ss about the DC so I don't see it going anywhere soon, back on topic.

Give life a few more years, college, then a job, and you'll realize how busy life can actually get. I don't think you have the perspective to comment on Scott's situation. What if he has a family now? And kids? Start a job working 60+ hours a week and you'll learn the concept of busy. When you get home after work, all you will want to do is sit around and veg out. And meanwhile staring you in the face are bills, laundry, dishes, let alone ironing clothes for the next day of work.

Yea, yah know what, your right, not that many people care to sacrifice their personal time to slave away on reverse engineering software for the sega dreamcast. To be honest, since you seem to have so much free time on your hands, why don't you start learning programming? I am being dead serious. Buy some programming books and start learning. Heck if nobody else is going to do it, then why don't you? Hell I even started going over some rough programming in some wild imaginative thought that someday I might be able to repair some of the things that are currently not working for Dreamcast Online(ie: servers). You are a human being that is capable of the same things other programmers are. If you want the job done, gotta do it yourself. And if your not willing to, then you have no right to be criticising Scott.

---

This Virtual On forum is here for gamers to talk about the game's gameplay, local network functions, as well as any technical troubleshooting in getting the game functioning in a proper local multiplayer environment.

I dictate how this website is run, what content it features and what direction it heads in. I hate having to bring up how much time I spend working on this website. I love OnlineConsoles and the community that is forming here. I have fun working on the site as well as playing online games with you all. However I wish some people would be a little more understanding and stop 'bitching' that I am not doing enough. DreamcastMagic seems to feel I'm not doing 'enough' for the Dreamcast online community. Jools feels I'm wasting my time updating the website and that I should have had F355 coverage all over the front page, and in the tournaments section a long ass time ago. Doomkiller repeatedly has told me he doesn't understand how busy I can actually be.

People think this site runs itself. It doesn't. It takes my time. So please understand I am working hard for this community. Lets take on a little example. The Quake 3 Arena servers. Now lets say a person asks me, "LordNikon, WHY arn't the Quake 3 OC servers online yet?" Well lets just assume....I obviously havn't gotten to them yet. Something else had to be done, preventing that task from getting accomplished. Such as my USB mouse and keyboard dying out last week. Or client work. Or how about, my linux machine isn't even configured properly at the moment and its completly ripped apart. Also the server at the datacenter is not even up and running with all the latest security patches yet.

So if something isn't done yet, just take a HUGE guess why, and you'll probobly be right.

I can't stand having to repeatedly bring up how much time I spend working on the site. I would much rather play an online video game with you guys and chat on the forums or on jabber, and just enjoy myself. But some people just don't get it. *shrugs*

If you guys think I am not doing all I can or you don't like whats going on here at OC, then leave. Plain and simple.

I just think some of you guys need to take in 'the big picture'. Rather than nitpicking and looking for something to whine and complain about. Unfortunatly this is going to continue to be the case because many gamers here are younger and havn't had the experience in life yet to know otherwise.
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:28 am
quote : #11
Amen! Like he said folks, love it or leave it, but keep in mind... there is none better. Could it be better? Sure, of course it could. Afterall, nothing is perfect but this is as close as it gets. There isnt anything else like the OC thats on this grand of a scale.

As for the whole VOOT tunneling thingy, the way I see it, its gonna end up like DSNES did. Life issues get in the way of frivilous distractions, and believe it or not folks, there are more important things in life than dreamcast or making dreamcast gamers happy. Nobody should compare this scene to the xbox scene because the DC is a completely different beast all together. How many people out there know SH4 ASM or can code good enough in SDL or C++ to make something decent come out of KOS? Whereas with the xbox, its just a damn legacy free PC in a fancy case. Now how many people are out there that know how to code for x86 platforms? Anyone disappointed in how "inferior" the DC homebrew scene is to the xbox's should keep that in mind before passing judgement on DC coders skills. You oughtta feel lucky you got what you got so far. Black Aura, Ian Michael, Quzar, and many others have a hard time just getting SDL to work in KOS, yet look what they have done.

Oh dear...sorry for the "Defend the DC underground" speach. Didnt mean to go off on a rant.
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:34 am
quote : #12
its ok lord, most of us do realise how tough it must be to run this place (all 3 sections) while doing other things, i love the fact that voot is being talked about now cos i really like the game and, were there any people in my area who could, i would play it on system link all the time. i think system link games should be supported as they are a form of online play, not in the physical sense but in the sense that they serve the same purpose, they allow people to play a game together over distances.

my life has really gotten busy lately. this may come accross arrogant or what ever but i have so many friends at the moment who want to do things after work that i get no time to myself in the afternoon, when i finish work at 5.30 i go straight to the gym, after that one mate will say, lets go to the pub, or someone else will say lets go play footie or pool or go on a bike ride or go watch a movie and shit, its just too much at the moment and when i get in its like midnight most nights and i hardly even get time to check this place anymore unless im on lunch at work.

so imagine doing a freelance job where you could be called up and offered work at anytime and you'd have to drop everything cos you need the money, while trying to support this place and deal with private issues at the same time. it must suck.

i think nikon is doing an awesome job for the dc community, you know why i think that? because i remember how neglected the dreamcast was and how insignificant the support it got was when it was around and how pretty much everywhere regarded it with disgust or distain, i remember trying to find stuff about it and feeling alone in a world that had moved on and forgotten the machine completely, i thought all online had ceased and that it was the end of dc as i knew it. then i found this place, or rather it found me. and everything changed, i now have near 200 games, am online with half a dozen of them and have managed to get hold of several never before played or heard of games, games i never expected to play, and would never have seen half the things i have without this place being here. so, you know, as nikon said, try and look at it from all points of view.

thanks again nikon!
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:36 am
quote : #13
i like what nikon said. it's true. my brother in law has absolutely no time anymore to spend playing games. He works at least 12-16 hours a day. All he wants to do when he gets home is sleep and play with his kids. PLus his website rarely ever gets updated do to lack of time and sleep. Now i fully understand more the BIG picture. We are lucky he does anything! *Applauds*
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:15 am
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:
Quote:

What have I been hypocritical about? I have said from the beginning that I run onlineconsoles as I see fit. Meaning, I started, created, and run this website and I can do whatever I want with it. If tomarrow I want to put up naked women eating peaches out of a dreamcast well then that's my perogotive.

naked women eating peaches out of a Dreamcast! we need some more of that!
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:11 am
quote : #15
Lord,

I administrate my Clan boards and stuff, so I know what it's like. (Not to mention I'm 13, in middle school, parents are divorced, cousin in rehab, great grandma died, lots o' crap) I'm currently killing time building that Q3 server i promised this small but great community.