Topic: Dreamcast Zip drive

Page 1 of 2
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Just wanted to know if you guys knew about it. Looked promising.
http://www.uk.playright.dk/raretitel.php?id=13488
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:45 pm
quote : #2
Man that really sucks. If it would have come out i would have bot it.
Join my site
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:48 pm
quote : #3
yep, and new content would have been available for download for online games.
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:49 pm
quote : #4
What sucked is that it was all packed up and ready for shipment, but Sega said no.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:52 pm
quote : #5
they did? God that sucks! Evil or Very Mad
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:21 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yes, I've heard of it. It did look very promising. It was speculated that the ZIP drive would be able to handle downloaded files from the internet (ie, new levels/maps/exclusive content) and would house MP3s for the proposed MP3 player SEGA had at E3, as well as being able to store VMU data. The unit itself was built into a modified DC Karaoke chassis.

Some better pictures can be found here:

Picture one
Picture two

I hadn't heard that they were actually ready for shipment. If that's the case, then what happened to them, then? I wonder if Iomega has any of the prototypes.

On a side note, is it confirmed that Tec Toys was given the go ahead by SEGA to produce Dreamcasts? If so, why aren't they producing broadband adapters or items like this? I may just start a new thread on this if it hasn't been discussed before. I know there was a mild debate about this over at DCEmu.

Dreamcast ™

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:42 pm
quote : #7
Dunno. I bought my BBA as soon as I saw it on the Sega Store on Sega.com back in the day just for the hell of it. It wasn't until a few months went by when I put it to use. UT 24/7 baby! Very Happy

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:58 am
quote : #8
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
UT 24/7 baby! Very Happy

lucky BASTARD.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Steven
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:13 am
quote : #9
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
What sucked is that it was all packed up and ready for shipment, but Sega said no.

sorry to burst a bubble, but they wern't all packed up and ready to go. after sega made one unit of the ZIP Disc's and MP3 player VMU they discovered that the cost would be to much to mass market it, as they found out with the dream eye. Yea there are only a few zip discs and mp3 vmu's in the world probably no more than 10 Crying or Very sad

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Currently playing : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL)
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:54 am
quote : #10
And the crazy thing is, if sega had other money making revenue sources to support this, the Dreamcast would be still competing to this day with the other consoles. Why? Here is why.

Just imagine, a Dreamcast with a Broadband Adaptor and ZIP drive, and games such as Unreal Tournament, Outtrigger, Propellar Arena, Bomberman Online, and POD Speedzone were all still online? Shit. With that type of an arsenal the DC would be getting some serious mass respect.

Man just thinking about this makes me oh so depressed. That setup would be AMAZING.
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:18 am
quote : #11
Type: Pal
Steven wrote:
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:

sorry to burst a bubble, but they wern't all packed up and ready to go. after sega made one unit of the ZIP Disc's and MP3 player VMU they discovered that the cost would be to much to mass market it, as they found out with the dream eye. Yea there are only a few zip discs and mp3 vmu's in the world probably no more than 10 Crying or Very sad

As they found with the dreameye?. Theres plenty of them about I got 2 myself Smile . They must have been produced in quite a few numbers I know lotsof people who have one even though it was only released in Japan.

Shame about the DC zip though Sad

Laters
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:29 am
quote : #12
that's what I mean it was too costly to release it anywhere but japan seeing as the cost and you can buy even better digi cam's at the time but ack well I want one Very Happy

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:47 am
quote : #13
it would've been a lot like the xbox's hard drive or the ps2's. With new content just like nikon said, it would've been amazing.
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:45 pm
quote : #14
Well in a lot of ways the VMU was like a 'mini' hd in my opinion. Even though I need like 12 of them and shit lol. But just the fact that you can save emails, attatchments, images, pso snapshots, and new game download content, the VMU itself works jsut like a harddrive should its just smaller in size. The zipdrive would have definatly opened up more possibilities. Just think. What if they released Quake III Team Arena, and had a way to load up custom maps off the Zip Drive.

Oh pfff what am I thinking this could have EASILY been applied to 4x4 Evolution!!!!!!!!! Man we could all have the maps chillin archived off on a zip disc. Man this thing could have been perfect!
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:49 pm
quote : #15
I agree with Nikon on that just Imagine Shenmue 2 with the ability to download more maps and areas and items and moves n stuff Mr. Green /drools