Topic: Dreamcast Zip drive

Page 2 of 2
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:47 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
what kind ofa games would've supported this other than the ones you said?
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:49 pm
quote : #17
that would be fucking awesome. especially if there was a prototype on Ebay, just like there was with that Atari 2000 system a while ago
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:30 pm
quote : #18
I wonder if Iomega would still have the plans for it, or if I could pay them a assload of money to make me one, like other people do with Yamaha to get GD-Roms and GD-Rom drives.

I should look into that...

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:34 pm
quote : #19
Type: NTSC-U/C
I doubt that Iomega would have the plans. Bits and pieces of the plans, at best. My best guess is that they only supplied the drive itself, and SEGA had contracted members within itself to build the additional hardware as well as the housing. So, any plans/prototypes are most likely locked away at SEGA.

What's caught my attention is that port on front panel. Could it have been a USB port?

I think I'm going to write something up to SEGA asking for a bit more information on the drive. They'll probably have a bit more to say about it now that the whole project was scrapped. Maybe even some detailed specs on the whole unit.

Excalibur007
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:16 am
quote : #20
IMO, the zip drive would have been a better marketing strategy than a hard drive. Think about this. You have a zip drive, your friends have a zip drive... you don't need to cart your whole DC over to your friends house to use the info you have stored on ur darn hard drive. You just kick out the zip disc and off you go! Smile

I think that would have been so stinkin' sweet. Personally, I'd take a zip drive over a hard drive any day. Afterall, if the zip held 100 MB, how many discs would you need?

-Ex

P.S.
With this post I say goodbye to my "beast man" rank. boo hoo, sniff sniff. Crying or Very sad

Holiday
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:49 am
quote : #21
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quote:
What's caught my attention is that port on front panel. Could it have been a USB port?

The sign in one of the pictures says it was going to have 2 USB ports

Steven
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:27 am
quote : #22
Excalibur007 wrote:
IMO, the zip drive would have been a better marketing strategy than a hard drive. Think about this. You have a zip drive, your friends have a zip drive... you don't need to cart your whole DC over to your friends house to use the info you have stored on ur darn hard drive. You just kick out the zip disc and off you go! Smile

I think that would have been so stinkin' sweet. Personally, I'd take a zip drive over a hard drive any day. Afterall, if the zip held 100 MB, how many discs would you need?

-Ex

P.S.
With this post I say goodbye to my "beast man" rank. boo hoo, sniff sniff. Crying or Very sad

to match the xbox hdd you'd need between 80 and 100 zip discs....lol.....I could just see myself carrying 100 zip discs around in my arms Smile Razz

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Currently playing : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL)
Excalibur007
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:50 pm
quote : #23
No offense, but I couldn't give a rip about having that much space. The only thing I can see using all that space for would be ripping a ton of CD's to huge wav files so you can play alternate music in some of your games. I wouldn't care to do that anyway.
For my purposes, having all that space is like having a 454 big block in a Yugo. Yeah, you'd have a powerful motor, but what the heck u gonna do with it in a Yugo? I'd probably use 2 zips or 3 at the very most, and that's if there was a ton of extra game stages and mp3's that I wanted to store.

To each, his own, but I'd still take a zip drive over a hard drive anyday.

-Ex

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:02 pm
quote : #24
What I wonder is whether the unit that we all saw at E3 or where ever it was was a working prototype, or a non-functional mock up. If it was a working prototype, there might still be some hope for it. But if it was simply a mock up that didnt actually work, then its a lost cause.

Steven
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:42 pm
quote : #25
Morph wrote:
What I wonder is whether the unit that we all saw at E3 or where ever it was was a working prototype, or a non-functional mock up. If it was a working prototype, there might still be some hope for it. But if it was simply a mock up that didnt actually work, then its a lost cause.

yea, the prototype unit along with the MP3 VMU were both working prototypes well atleast that's what it says in the Offical Dreamcast Magazine in the UK

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Currently playing : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL)