Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:05 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I saw a post in the Dreamcast ZIP drive thread by user "Dreamcast TM" that mentioned Tec Toys was looking at building Dreamcasts for the Brazilian market. I knew that they manufactured their own remakes of the Master System and Mega Drive (Genesis) consoles (sometimes with many games built in). I also just looked at Tec Toys' site and saw that they are now advertising Saturn and Dreamcast consoles.

It has always been my understanding that the Tec Toys versions of the Master System and Mega Drive are models that are newly manufactured by (or for) them, but now I'm wondering if the Saturn and Dreamcast are repackaged old stock or if they are really being newly manufactured by or for Tec Toys. I've done some searches but can't seem to find any solid info.

Does anyone know any more about this?
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:13 am
quote : #2
in fact they are new systems. They get sent to lik-sang to be distributed world wide
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:20 am
quote : #3
Interesting. I couldn't find mention of either system on Lik-Sang.com, but that doesn't mean that they don't sell them, I suppose. Thanks for the info.

Also, here is the thread over at DC Emulation that talks a little about this:
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=54815

So both the Saturn and the Dreamcast are manufactured in Brazil by Tec Toys themselves? Do the Dreamcasts come with modems?
fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:24 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
martianviking wrote:

It has always been my understanding that the Tec Toys versions of the Master System and Mega Drive are models that are newly manufactured by (or for) them, but now I'm wondering if the Saturn and Dreamcast are repackaged old stock or if they are really being newly manufactured by or for Tec Toys. I've done some searches but can't seem to find any solid info.

Does anyone know any more about this?

Look @ the pics on the Master System + Master System Handy
+ on the Mega Drice are the Tec Toy Logos !! But not at the Sega Saturn
and the Dreamcast

Maybe they bought up the last residual items from SEGA , but when they are new Wink i will buy one of them ...

Men i hope that Tec Toy get the Licens Rights to create and build Sega Dreamcast Extra Periphial (BBA Controllers MC'S )
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:26 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
It seems we may have been asking the wrong people for BBAs (SEGA). I think an e-mail to Tec Toys is in order to get information on what's taking place at the present time, and what their plans are for the future. If they are still producing new Dreamcasts, then it would only make sense to bring the BBA back into production considering that cable/DSL is becoming a more and more popular choice for internet access.

Ideas like this are always long shots, but if you're truly loyal fan to either SEGA products as a whole, or just exclusively to the DC, then I can't see why it would hurt to give it a go.

I figure Tec Toys may see the DC as being a profitable system for them to invest in. If we either:

A. Rally enough donations to persuade Tec Toys to put BBA/ Heck, even the ZIP drive back into/into limited production.
B. Have reputable companies like EB/Lik-Sang host a special where they can take preorders for systems/hardware/accessories promising the purchase of new systems/hardware/accesories.

If we could do either or both of the above proposed ideas, we may be able to convince them to produce. Remember folks, money speaks all languages. Manufacturing companies don't really care whether or not you can't find a BBA anywhere or would like a ZIP drive. If it's not making them (the manufacturer) money, then it's not going to ever happen.

Call it wishful thinking, or whatever suits you best, but the fact of the matter is, if you go into it with a pessimistic attitude, chances are, it's not going to get done. If they're willing to produce Saturn which has been long gone for quite some time now, then there's no telling what they might be willing to do. Again though, it boils down to profit on their part.

BBAs are selling for ridiculas amounts of money on e-bay. I'm sure we'd have no problem getting together a few hundred preorders.

Think about it.

Dreamcast ™

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:29 pm
quote : #6
so how do we get them to sell bba's?
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:38 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, we'd have to find some way to convince them that it'd be worth their facility/labor/development expense to produce. We could try contacting Tec Toys to find out what steps would need to be made in favor of getting it into production.

We'd also have to find out how to go about getting SEGA to give T.T. permission to put the BBA back into production.

If they're making the consoles exclusively for Lik-Sang, then we might want to contact Lik-Sang and find out how they went about contracting them to produce consoles. Lik-Sang may already have T.T. lined up to produce BBAs, though. That's the ideal scenario.

Dreamcast ™

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:55 pm
quote : #8
Does that mean that we should ask Lik-Sang about it? Maybe they could do like I'm guessing Play-Asia did with their latest VGA box -- Open preorders (but don't charge until the item is shipped), and then, when they see how many people have entered their credit card info for the listed amount, they could show the tally to T.T. and give them a little nudge-nudge...
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:19 pm
quote : #9
The problem with the BBA thing is that I don't think broadband access is very common in Brazil. Yes, it would be great, and yes, I hope it happens, but you have to remember what Tec Toys does. They make video game systems for the Brazilian market (which uses the PAL-M video standard rather than regular PAL or NTSC, I believe).

I definitely support any efforts to convince Tec Toys to begin production of new BBA units. If we can come up with a good reason why they should (even though they're supposed to be producing just for Brazil), we definitely should.

Chile wrote:
in fact they are new systems. They get sent to lik-sang to be distributed world wide

martianviking wrote:
...So both the Saturn and the Dreamcast are manufactured in Brazil by Tec Toys themselves?

I would like to revisit this. I know that Chile said they are "new" systems. I'm still not sure if that means "new old stock, never before sold" or "newly manufactured."

Can you clarify? And do the Saturns and Dreamcasts carry a "Tec Toys" brand mark like the Master System and Mega Drive systems do?
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:44 pm
quote : #10
newly produced stock. they will stop making them after 2007
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:38 am
quote : #11
They manufacture brand new genesis, master system, saturn and dreamcasts.
they also produce new copies of already existing gamesfor the DC, and also developed a few new games for the genesis that got released a few years ago.
but i dont think they ship them to lik-sang, they only sell them in brazil.
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:29 pm
quote : #12
We can do it. I sent them and email.
Join my site
Goshikyu
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:56 pm
quote : #13
if you are going to send them something it would probably be a good idea if its in portuguese...
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:19 pm
quote : #14
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
It seems we may have been asking the wrong people for BBAs (SEGA). I think an e-mail to Tec Toys is in order to get information on what's taking place at the present time, and what their plans are for the future. If they are still producing new Dreamcasts, then it would only make sense to bring the BBA back into production considering that cable/DSL is becoming a more and more popular choice for internet access.

Ideas like this are always long shots, but if you're truly loyal fan to either SEGA products as a whole, or just exclusively to the DC, then I can't see why it would hurt to give it a go.

I figure Tec Toys may see the DC as being a profitable system for them to invest in. If we either:

A. Rally enough donations to persuade Tec Toys to put BBA/ Heck, even the ZIP drive back into/into limited production.
B. Have reputable companies like EB/Lik-Sang host a special where they can take preorders for systems/hardware/accessories promising the purchase of new systems/hardware/accesories.

If we could do either or both of the above proposed ideas, we may be able to convince them to produce. Remember folks, money speaks all languages. Manufacturing companies don't really care whether or not you can't find a BBA anywhere or would like a ZIP drive. If it's not making them (the manufacturer) money, then it's not going to ever happen.

Call it wishful thinking, or whatever suits you best, but the fact of the matter is, if you go into it with a pessimistic attitude, chances are, it's not going to get done. If they're willing to produce Saturn which has been long gone for quite some time now, then there's no telling what they might be willing to do. Again though, it boils down to profit on their part.

BBAs are selling for ridiculas amounts of money on e-bay. I'm sure we'd have no problem getting together a few hundred preorders.

Think about it.

Dreamcast ™

I'd like to point out one major thing about the zip drive, NOT ONE game support zip drive functions so they would obviously not even try to make a zip drive, If they were going to make anything I'd say it would be a BBA but I seriously doubt they will make anything.

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Currently playing : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL)
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:55 pm
quote : #15
wouldn't it just read the zip drive as a humungormous VMU?