Page Location: Home > Archive - PAL PSO > Topic
Morph
unknown
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I found a nifty hardware mod that is simple. If you have an NTSC Dreamcast, you can do this.

http://www.geocities.com/dcmod2000/palntsc.htm

That way, NTSC Dreamcast players can play PAL PSO without a mod chip or utopia.

Since its related to PAL PSO, I figured it went here. Mr. Green

Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:00 pm
quote : #2
Thats way to risky. if the DCX bugged me that much (utopia has weird effect to PSO) then I'd put a mod chip inb before this.

Even though installing a mod chip with run a more risk because you must solder to 4 IC chips, i would probabl just pay to get it done. I wouldn't want to solder on that bridge, it would be way to messy. Plus that guide needs some close up pictures with some more details

Whenever I solder and something messes up it has always b een because to much solder got around, so i wouldn't want to risk doing something like that.

However, there are simlar methods to do on a Saturn...i can gwt some links if anything wants it. It's not to play backups, but ot play different region games.

edit: also, after looking at that more closely, i don't think it will serve as a substitute to a mod chip. I think all it will do is run your DC in 60 Hz so it will display PAL games correctly without some sort of converter. Some sort of boot disc would still be needed. I may be wrong, though i think this woud be more known if it did that.

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:26 pm
quote : #3
Chris, it works, I did it to mine. It only works on NTSC Dreamcast's, and what that does is that it forces the Dreamcast to boot at 60hz instead of 50 (i might have that backwards, i cant rememeber). All I know is, I tried Headhunter and it works nice and peachy, so PAL PSO should be a piece of cake for it.

qatmix
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:10 pm
quote : #4
This mod only affects the video output. Ive done it to my US DC. It will not boot PAL games, it just displays a pal signal instead of a NTSC. the screen is still at 60HZ
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:24 pm
quote : #5
Wouldn't it be safer (and easier) to just use a Gameshark, Codebreaker, or DC-X disc to boot a PAL game? I use my Gameshark disc to boot my PAL PSO, and it works like a charm.

Given that a number of Dreamcasts seem to be crapping out right about now, tinkering unnecessarily with one seems to be a bit risky to me. Anyway, whatever you do, just be careful.

How are my little crackers doing today?
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:39 pm
quote : #6
I agree...boot discs are like condoms. Safe, easy to use, and the only regrets you have when the deed is done are in how you played the game. LOL
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:14 pm
quote : #7
I have X-ploder DC Codebreaker, how do I use that to boot up a PAL game?
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:23 pm
quote : #8
Well, it works for me... And, you cant use the Codebreaker to boot PAL games, at least I dont THINK so. If you could, then it would have been very helpful to know since I already have one...

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:49 pm
quote : #9
Well, there are plenty of people who recommend using codebreaker or gameshark to boot pal pso, so something must be working. Friggin gameshark cdx better work or I'm gonna be royally pissed tomorrow....
Posted:
Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:06 pm
quote : #10
I only have a Gameshark Lite disc, but it works very much like a Utopia boot disc. Just place the Gameshark disc in and turn on the Dreamcast. Once the menu screen loads, just choose the option to play a game without codes on - it will then prompt you to make sure the disc is in before hitting okay. Just put your game in and voila'! you're off and running.

I can't imagine the procedure would be much different, or more difficult, using a Codebreaker or DC-Exploder.

How are my little crackers doing today?
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:07 pm
quote : #11
I'm happy to say that Gameshark CDX is working fine for me. Smile I'm posting this from the DK 2.5 ingame browser in EU PSO v2, so its all gravy. Smile