Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
davidjr1989
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:48 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I e-mailed tec toys a while ago litke a 1 week ago.BUT im am 75% sure they said they can be able to do it im sure of it plz i need some help making sure if anyone understand this plz pm me as soon as possible. . I read spanish but this is a bit different from my spanish and i cant understand the last couple of words. This is was they said "quote"

Prezado senhor David,

Agradecemos por seu e-mail, e solicitamos que por gentileza nos esclareça o que é bba, pois assim poderemos atende-lo.

Atenciosamente,
SAC / Tec Toy
Tel: ( 11 ) 3823-1717
Fax: (11 ) 3661-6942
Join my site
darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:53 pm
quote : #2
it says something atemp
Posted:
Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:42 am
quote : #3
davidjr1989 wrote:
I e-mailed tec toys a while ago litke a 1 week ago.BUT im am 75% sure they said they can be able to do it im sure of it

Um, sure you are.

They're asking you to clarify what a BBA is so they can take care of your query. Rolling Eyes

Anyone who thought TecToy would actually go and produce BBAs for a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche FOREIGN market for an accessory they never sold nor are licensed to produce needs a reality check.

Goshikyu
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:42 am
quote : #4
Agradecemos por seu e-mail, e solicitamos que por gentileza nos esclareça o que é bba, pois assim poderemos atende-lo

We thank you for your e-mail, and ask that you please clarifly what a bba is, so we can attend to it.

Did you write to them in portuguese? they might have a different name for a bba, but they probably dont even know what it is, i dont think bba's were ever released in brazil. and i dont think they will start making them cause one person emails them asking to do so. specially for someone from a different country that will probably never buy their product.
Posted:
Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:17 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Alright, I found a couple pics of the BBA's innards:

http://www.thedreaming.com/Dreamcast/bb_front.jpg
http://www.thedreaming.com/Dreamcast/bb_back.jpg

From the looks of it, it doesn't look all that complicated. The etching on the board looks pretty straightforward and there's only 3 ICs you'd have to worry about flashing to.

Speaking of flashing chips, I know certain ICs like EPROMs can be flashed in EPROM read/writers, but from the looks of it, could data be pulled from the chips on that board? I'm not saying that we rip anything from the chips and produce bootleg BBAs without SEGA's consent. It's just, if SEGA would agree to let us somehow produce the BBA, but wouldn't give us any schematics or source, would we be able to pull anything from the chips to produce new BBAs?

The problem is producing the casing for the BBA, along with the port. This could cost a bit more, though from the looks of it, everything's the same as the modem, with the exception of the board and the jack (RJ-11 for 56k, RJ-45 for BB). My idea, is if we can get this produced, is to send them our 56k modems, with which they can strip and use the casings and control port for the BBA.

I don't see why it's so hard to believe that we could get this back into a limited production. Say Mr. X develops an electronic device that keeps time, the date, and can be used as a calculator. Then, Mr. X wants to market this idea, and sell it to "Dollar Stores". Well, he sure isn't going to make a huge profit off of it, but he can get it into manufacturing and onto store shelves. People do it all the time. The product has already been developed. All there is now, is the cost to produce. If we get a petition and or collect enough funds to persuade whichever company that decides to support this idea, then the idea's more than practical.

If you don't put anything into something, then you're not going to get anything out of it. I'm proud of davidjr1989 for stepping up to the plate and getting ahold of these people. Even if the reply was just a need for some clarification, if's still better than nothing.

Why bother with the BBA you ask? Here's why; homebrew projects.

Already we've gotten homebrew projects taking full advantage of the BBA's ability. Additionally, games like Quake can still be played online, and as more and more of us turn to broadband as it becomes cheaper and more readily available, the greater the need for BBAs.

As for meseta's reply, there's (Your country's name here) flags with "Made in China" written on them. Do you think the chinese want (Your country's name here) flags? I'm pretty sure they have no use for a flag from your country. Just because it's not native to their country or wasn't produced there, doesn't mean they won't produce it.

Again folks, I've said it before. It all boils down to profit. I don't think a manufacturing company would care if you wanted them to produce the dumbest idea in the world. If you can afford the manufacturing costs, then they don't care what you want to produce. Also, without all of the overhead costs that SEGA would incur for marketing, and all of their trademarks and employees. Also, getting it directly from the manufacturer would be pretty cheap. Yes, I'm sure that SEGA would want a small profit from it if they were to supply detailed specifications along with liscensing and having their trademarked logos put on it. Maybe we should be looking to 3rd party companies like Innovation.

As far as licensing goes, yes, we're aware that they hadn't produced this, nor have the liscenses. I'm sure though that SEGA would have no qualms about giving them those liscenses. SEGA of Japan still offers services like their DC karaoke services, so who knows, they may be all for it.

Dreamcast ™

Goshikyu
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:44 am
quote : #6
we might as well ask them to sell the brand new dreamcasts they produce up here in north america >Very Happy
since sega wont, but some one else will.
Posted:
Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:46 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Unfortunately, I believe they don't produce Dreamcasts anymore. At least, that's what I've been told. The images on their website are of what they had produced, though I've heard that they were supposed to manufacture DCs until 2007.

Dreamcast ™

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:11 pm
quote : #8
lol, don't u guys no that brazil is the only country in North or South America that speaks Portuf=guese as their main language? This is so frickin funny. Laughing Laughing Laughing
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:39 pm
quote : #9
Tec Toy is ridiculous. I'm sure that Chile didn't e-mail them in Portuguese, so why didn't they reply him in the language he sent the e-mail?
If anyone else wants to e-mail Tec Toy, PM me with the message and I'll translate it and send it back to you.
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:20 pm
quote : #10
anything new out of this yet Question
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:32 pm
quote : #11
Chile wrote:
anything new out of this yet Question

Tec-Toys won't make anything based off of customer request (especially something that they've never heard off) unless it can be proven profitable to them.
Posted:
Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:15 am
quote : #12
that's what i figured. brazilians hate them
banned!
Posted:
Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:20 pm
quote : #13
Seeing how tons of DC fans do want them it would be profitable Rolling Eyes