Topic: Best Online FPS?

Page 1 of 2
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:26 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I know I know it sounds dumb considering none of the options (UT, OT, or Q3) are online (well except for Q3 but you know what I'm getting at) which one has the best single player Question As in best split screen or skirmishes and also which one works best on that darn DC controller. Because currently, I've read many different reviews and all of them have a different favorite.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:24 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is a tricky question. Since each game reigns supreme over each other in some way or another. I guess I'll try to sum up some of each games strong points first:

Frame Rate: (1) Outtrigger, (2) Quake 3 Arena, (3) Unreal Tournament
Outtrigger was developed by AM2. They know the DC hardware better than anyone. Also, Outtrigger originated in the Arcades on naomi arcade hardware, which the Dreamcast is a slimmed down version of. So since Outtrigger was native to DC hardware when it was originally developed, this game runs at a FLAWLESS framerate. It never buckles. Try this game out with a VGA box and you'll see what I am talking about. Gorgious!

-Q3 only has 4 enemies at a time. The framerate stays very consistant and doesn't ever drop. However it isn't perfectly smooth.
-UT's framerate stays as good as Q3 most of the time, but during intense battles it will begin to chug somewhat. Especially in splitscreen. Remember UT has 8 possible bots. Twice as many as the others games. So this also is a factor.

Enemy Artificial Intelligence: (1) Unreal Tournament, (2) Quake 3 Arena, (3) Outtrigger
+ Unreal Tournament's A.I. is really solid. The game gets gradually harder on each difficulty setting and only gets very very very hard when it is set to Inhuman. On the 2nd highest difficulty the bots are really hard, but not so hard that they are tracking you cheaply. If you move fast enough you can dodge their attacks and grab weapons in time without getting owned. So overall the game stays competative...and still leaves room for you to have fun. So you won't be saying "Man that was bullshit" very often. It's pretty fare.

-Q3's A.I. is decent, but at times feels like the computer is too good on the harder settings.
-OT's A.I. is this games biggest weakness. WIth a controller it might be fine, but mouse and keyboard action can get old fast even on the very hardest difficulty setting. In the building level the A.I. isn't smart enough to stay on the platforms and will frequently run off killing themselves. It is still very playable though, and smaller maps yield some good competition. Note that I am referring specificallty to dm style A.I. Outtrigger's mission mode A.I. is extremly competive and can get quite hard.

Control: (1) Quake 3 Arena, (2) Outtrigger, (3) Unreal Tournament
Quake 3 Arena has full complete customization. You can customize every single button on the controller as well as mouse and keyboard. It also allows you to configure both X and Y sensitivity. Perfect for finding that zero point if you plan on using the analog for aiming.

-OT has a huge variety of preset controller schemes as well as a large variety of preset kb and mouse schemes as well.
-UT allows you to completly customize the mouse and kb layout, however falls short in the controller department. Allowing for only 3 preset controller configurations.

---

Tidbits of information:

As far as maps are concerned, Unreal Tournament has a whopping 69 total maps. Which is staggering. OT and Q3 have about half this amount.

Outtrigger's single player experience in its arcade and mission modes is a lot funner than UT and Q3's dm style single player campaigns. So OT has the best single player, solo experience. UT has a lot of modes so it ranks around second with its ladder based gameplay. Quake 3 Arena's single player experience is a lot like staged Deathmatches more than anything.

All of these games are pretty much equal overall in terms of multiplayer splitscreen gameplay. They are each unique in their own way. Each games weapon system has a different feel.

Another note, is Unreal Tournament's Mutators (aka optional mods). It has a variety of some of the best mods from the online realm. Including Instagib, rocket arena, pulse arena, and more. It really allows you to get in and setup some awsome custom multiplayer games.

I think anyone who is a Dreamcast FPS fan, needs to buy all 3 of these games. They are all games that are AAA titles and I give them all a 10 overall. However in the end each person is going to have their own favorite.

For me my favorite out of the 3 is Outtrigger due to it's style, gameplay, and originality. However if I were to give an overall unbiased viewpoint on which game is the most 'complete' experience. It would have to be Unreal Tournament. The amount of options as well as maps is just amazing. Quake 3 Arena is online forever, so this is where Q3 really shines on the DC.

I hope some of this information has helped you. And since I wrote all this up I might just put this up later in a more advanced form as an editorial too hehe. Twisted Evil

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:36 pm
quote : #3
whats your personal favorite? Mine is Unreal TOurnament
unknown
Posted:
Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:54 pm
quote : #4
i think quake 3 is the best for the controller and offline its modes and graphics are the best on the system. but i prefer halflife as an allround fps. i know it doesnt have multiplayer really but its a seminal game with amazing graphics controls and atmostphere.
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:14 pm
quote : #5
Id say like this : Quake 3 is the best for single-player. Outtrigger is the best for Multiplayer splitscreen. As previously mentioned, those two games work perfectly without any slowdown at all. The look wonderful as well. Then we have UT. It has by far the most content of all the games, but it is a really sloppy port. It works ok in singleplyer, but when the action heats up, it slows down. Two-player is playable, but wowrse than one-player. Dont even consider playing 3 or 4 players though. The slow-ness is unbearable. Trust me, I have played through many laggy games, but this is to much even for me. This is really sad, since the game has so much potential. I wish a better company had ported it. As it is now, it doesnt even look half as good as Quake 3 and it definitivitely doesnt play as 1/3 of it. Sad There are some other FPS games on DC to consider though. Rainbow Six : Rouge Squadron is ok, but pretty hard. Has decent framerate. Salve Zero has ok framrate but is overall pretty boring in multiplayer. I havent played Spawn : In the Demons Hand, but it seems good. It uses the Outtrigger-engine, so how could it be bad? Anyone who has it and can tell something about it? Also, are there any other multi-player FPS games for DC?
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:35 pm
quote : #6
Unreal for me. I spent dozens of hours online playing UT, and I enjoyed every bit.

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:06 pm
quote : #7
Out of Quake 3: Arena and Unreal Tournament, I would have to go with Unreal Tournament myself.

Never played Outtrigger.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:11 am
quote : #8
another vote for unreal
Posted:
Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:28 pm
quote : #9
Unreal. Mr. Green

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:30 pm
quote : #10
looks like i'm getting unreal...and then q3...and then OT. Razz thnx for the abundance of info, ppl. oh and special thnx for nikon's ARTICLE on the whole situation. Twisted Evil please excuse me as i get to fraggin. Twisted Evil
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:46 am
quote : #11
well the only fps online iv played 4 the dc is quake3 so thats my chioce
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:42 pm
quote : #12
When playing on my PC I agree that Unreal Tournament is more fun. I play Ut2k4 almost every day and I love it. Still, the DC UT port can't be played online any more and the port is to bad to be played in multiplayer. Btw, I have heard many people saying that UT is better. Perhaps the US version of UT for DC is better made than the European version? I mean, the version I have is unplayable in 4 player splitscreen. Perhaps there are other versions? Cause if there is, Ill get it. I would love to play that game in multi without the slowdown.
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:35 pm
quote : #13
Does Outtrigger support keyboards for each player (on split screen) ?
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:14 pm
quote : #14
Type: NTSC-U/C
Kirby Kirby Kirby wrote:
Does Outtrigger support keyboards for each player (on split screen) ?

Yes. However you could only play with 2 players split screen. Since you would need 2 mouses and 2 keyboards, which would take up all 4 slots. Also in that scenario an official sega dreamcast fullsize keyboard would be recommended. I believe that have a slot on them for VMU? So you could load your save. Which would be ideal because you'd want all the maps, chars, and guns unlocked for some fraggin.
Posted:
Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:15 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
I believe that have a slot on them for VMU?

I have the official one that says "Dreamcast" above the number pad, and it doesn't have a VMU slot anywhere.