Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
For me it would have to be my brother in-law. He was my sister's boyfriend at the time. He comes to my house and brings over his dreamcast. I'm tell him i always wanted one but WAY too expensive. My brother who was in the Navy at the time, almost got one for me and my other brother one while he wass stationed in Yakuska, but they were the same price as here. Plus it wouldn't have worked as i know now which would've pissed us off. Anyways, he starts playing Unreal Tournament. I say "Wow! This is way cooler than Goldeneye." And he said "yeah cuz its online and way better graphics." Then he starts playing online and I finally start playing with him and he kicks my ass. I was like too young then. Then like a few years later, i buy one when it was $25. Now I'm happy with it. Too bad he doesn't have time to play games anymore. Until November 9th Twisted Evil
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:06 pm
quote : #2
umm playing sonic adventure the summer at EB games before i purchased it. i got it the launch day. oh yeah, 9-9-99 all the way!!!!!!

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:16 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
It was a new sega system that was online , sonic adventure , Hydro Thunder and Soul Calibur.
it was all I needed to know.

purchased on launch day prepurchased 3 months before.

Last edited by DaMan on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:25 am
quote : #4
That time of the year again, isn't it... Well, I saw the Japanese Sonic Adventure movies on the Internet, but regardless, it was a brand new, 128-bit (that meant something at the time!) Sega system, with a new Sonic launch title, and there's not much more to it than that. I put $10 down on it at the Game Stop at the Mall of America, and came to get it a month later, and walked home a happy camper. Very Happy

My favorite system, ever! I did sort of overdo it with Sonic Adventure, though, which I played for twelve hours straight (first time with a console game) when I got home...
freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:25 am
quote : #5
I read about the Dreamcast long before the 9.9.99 launch date. I already had aa Saturn and knew there would be some great games on the DC when it was eventually on the market. Sega never disappoints in the software side. Hydro Thunder-Ready To Rumble-NFL 2K and so many more. The VMU was interesting and the online capabilities was cool feature that pulled me to the the Dream Machine. I knew Sega would make the 128 bit cat pur.

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:15 am
quote : #6
i joined up late. dreamcast was already "dead" for a year before i even bought one. and i got my DC online a MONTH after seganet went down. what fucking luck.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Dannycas
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:31 pm
quote : #7
i first got mine in june and have played quake 3 online and downloaded sonic adventure 2 themes
Posted:
Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:26 pm
quote : #8
The dry spell of N64 did it for me. I paid alot of money for that system and releases for games were so damned slow. After I believe the September launch for it, I only owned 2 games - Mario 64 and Shadows of The Empire by December. I enjoyed both games but the N64 lacked titles. So I turned to Sega and realized a whole new world. I missed out on so many great games. I bought a Genesis and a ton of classics from Golden Axe to Streets of Rage to Phantasy Star and so forth.

The game was Sonic that got me hooked into SEGA and the DC. I love the gameplay and the characters. I was so pumped up for SA1 for the DC launch and playing it in a Toys R Us kiosk a month before the launch just blew me away. SA1 was well worth the wait.
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:57 pm
quote : #9
I've been a video game enthusiast for quite a long time - I started with a Sears 4-in-1 tennis game and later got the Atari 2600 for Christmas after it's release. I later followed that up with a Colecovision and then a Super Nintendo, which I was given as a broke college student several years ago. I also borrowed a Sega Genesis for a prolonged period of time, and I played the crap out of that thing. When it comes to the Dreamcast, however, I must admit that I'm a very late bloomer.

After receiving the Super Nintendo, I switched my attention mostly to PCs in College, so I started playing PC shooters like Doom, Quake, and Duke Nuke' Em. My best friend had a Nintendo 64, so we'd play Goldeneye and a few others quite a bit. Having that accessibility kept me from buying another gaming console. This created a huge dead spot where I missed The Sega 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Playstation 1, and everything else in between, but most importantly, I missed the Dreamcast. When 9/9/99 rolled around I was a new father and working full-time, so video games were out of the picture for me. I honestly had no idea what a Dreamcast was.

Fast forward to May 2001. I was visiting a college buddy who moved to NY. This is the guy I would spend countless hours in the arcades he asked me if I've ever played a Dreamcast. "A what?" I asked him.

"A Dreamcast," he says as he popped a disc called Soul Calibur into the gray box sitting by his television, "Check this out."

Needless to say, my jaw hit the floor. The title sequence alone left me speechless. We played with the DC until I had to fly back home a few days later. I then put the Dreamcast out of my mind, because I had too many expenses to even think about getting one.

Then, in November 2001, my wife and I were invited by a co-worker of hers, William, to a gaming party at his house. There were board games, card games, karaoke, and also several Dreamcasts playing Dance Dance Revolution and Samba de Amigo. My son and wife both LOVED Samba and Dance Dance Revolution and played it all night. William told my wife and I that the Dreamcast was no longer going to be made and that the prices had just been reduced. My wife then shocked me by mentioning that it would make a good Christmas present for our son. Holy Crap! I was in.

I raced down to the local EB and bought their last Sega Sports Bundle (not the black sports edition, but the regular console bundled with NBA 2k1, NFL 2k1, and WSB 2k1 just marked down to $79.99. With that I also bought Soul Calibur, Spider-Man, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2, Virtua Tennis, and Crazy Taxi, and I haven't looked back. I now own 3 Dreamcasts and tons of games and accessories.

Unfortunately, I was late getting a Dreamcast, so I missed it's heyday online, but late is better than never, right?

How are my little crackers doing today?
Dannycas
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:28 pm
quote : #10
a lot better than i did...
Posted:
Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:21 pm
quote : #11
I was bored with my PSone so I tryed out the demo disk again, only had that one game Wild Metal and I didn't like it so I didn't ask to get any games for the system until like 2 years later and I poped it in at was like wow this thing blows the PSone to the curb...

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:25 pm
quote : #12
yeah how about 2003 for me. all the games online still, i din't play cuz i din't know they were online. Stupid ME!
unknown
Posted:
Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:09 pm
quote : #13
i have been a fan of sega for years, i had a game gear then a master system then a mega drive then a mega cd and then a saturn. but i always got these late or after the life of the console. i got my saturn in 98 which was the last year of the saturns life. it was one of my favourites tho as i got dragon force, burning rangers, nights, steep slope sliders and panzer dragoon saga within a month and the saturn became my favourite thing for ages. i got the official sega uk magazine and it soon began spreading whispers about a new hardware coming soon, i was at college at the time and made a presentation about it for coursework on an ohp. i was so excited about it and got it as a result of that. i got it on release for £230 with sonic adventure and blue stinger. allthough our release was in oct not sept. loved my dc ever since. its my favourite machine and i have around 200 games for it.
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:10 pm
quote : #14
Before the DC, all I had were a Genesis, a SNES, and an old Mac; for some reason, my parents thought having even more game consoles would be pointless. I had heard quite a bit about that new Sega machine, so I was kind of shocked when I learned that they had stopped making games for it. So I went to a local game rental store and played it for the first time.

Sonic Adventure 2. I mean, Sonic Adventure 2, goddamnit! After years playing 16-bit games, the best 3D I had was Starfox, and all of a sudden I get to play something like Sonic Adventure 2. I went crazy! When I got back home, I got the "City Escape" mp3 on the net and listened to it really loud, again and again and again and... I just knew I had to buy that machine. And somehow, after a few weeks, I got my parents to buy me one.

I love this machine. It will be my only one until the next generation comes... then I will get a PS2 and an XBox, when they get as dirt-cheap as the Dreamcast is right now.
Posted:
Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:45 pm
quote : #15
Skies of Arcadia. When it came out, I had heard about it and it sounded like such an awesome game. Then I saw my profound lack of cash, my low level of funds, and - oh yeah - I was broke. I didn't have enough money for the Dreamcast.

Fast-forward to late 2003. I see a bunch of Dreamcasts sitting in my local GameStop for $25 apiece. I remembered Skies of Arcadia, and the rest, as they say, was history.

Since then, my Dreamcast has become my favorite system by far, and I really wish I hadn't missed out on the online play in its heyday (Chu Chu Rocket, NFL2k1, Outtrigger, AFO, etc.). I now own 41 games for the Dreamcast, far more than any other system I own. I just bought Bangai-O off of Ebay and it should be arriving within two weeks, and I've already preordered Chaos Field. I've loved every minute of playing imported PSO, both online and offline. And Ikaruga has to be one of the best games ever made.
Number of DC games owned: 43 and counting

Currently obsessed with: Mr. Driller