Page Location: Home > VS Link Games > Topic
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:54 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I really like playing Virtual On in the arcades, and I have it on Dreamcast, but I find using the Dreamcast controller to be terribly frustrating. Aside from making the leap to Twin Sticks, has anyone found a technique or configuration of the stock controller that seems to work well?

Also, I've been contemplating buying a Mad Catz Panther controller, which seems designed for both flight games and first-person shooters. It just dawned on me that the Panther control configuration with the track ball may work with VOOT. Has anyone happened to try this out before? Or if you have both VOOT and a Panther Controller, would you please see if this works?

Thanks!

How are my little crackers doing today?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:52 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I can never seem to remember what config I use. But, I believe it's config TYPE-B. See using the analog for 'turning' doesn't work very well because it uses only 4 directionals. If you don't exactly press left and right on the analog to turn, it will not work.

I use what I think is TYPE-B. It's the configuration where it sets the A button as a shortcut button. It allows me to press A and then press left and right on the d-pad to turn the view. It works really really really well.
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:56 pm
quote : #3
Woah, that does sound good. I don' t think I tried that one yet, so I'll give it a whirl.

Based on your response I'm guessing that VOOT doesn't have any analog support in it, so the trackball on the Panther XL stick probably wouldn't work well. Too bad, because if it worked, that may have been a cool setup.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:29 pm
quote : #4
i always wanted a trackball. However, i find the dc pad easy for voot. that's just me.
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:33 pm
quote : #5
Yeah, I'm still looking for a good control configuration for VOOT, too. I just finally got myself a copy of Virtual On for Dreamcast a few days ago, and was very disappointed to see that VOOT doesn't have a "stick type" control setup, as the Saturn version does.

The "stick type" control setup actually does a pretty good job of mimicking the sticks, and it also doesn't leave you totally confused once you actually do get some sticks. Smile In "stick type," the A, B, X, and Y buttons act as a second d-pad, mimicking the right stick. I understand that the Dreamcast is missing the Z and C buttons that were used for "dash" on the Saturn pad's "stick type," but I still think it would have worked just fine to map "dash" to either Start or the analog stick (so that just reaching up and tapping the analog stick in any direction would activate a dash).

Stick Type wrote:
move the d-pad = move the left twin stick
A = "down" on right twin stick
B = "right" on right twin stick
X = "left" on right twin stick
Y = "up" on right twin stick
L = left trigger
R = right trigger
Z and C = left and right stick thumb buttons (dash)
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:34 pm
quote : #6
maybe a saturn controller converter would work?
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:41 pm
quote : #7
Chile wrote:
maybe a saturn controller converter would work?

Yes, there are Saturn-to-Dreamcast controller converters that will allow you to use Saturn twin sticks on a Dreamcast (unfortunately, the "Dream Connection II" by Innovation does not seem to be compatible with the Saturn twin sticks).

But the main point here, I think, is to find a good controller setup that works with the normal Dreamcast controller (since most people can't afford or find either the Dreamcast or the Saturn twin sticks).

When playing two-player mode on the Saturn (or any other time that I'm not using the twin sticks), I find the "stick type" control setup on the Saturn version of Virtual On to be a great way to play. Unfortunately, I (like many others) still haven't been able to find a pleasing way to play VOOT with the normal Dreamcast controller.