Topic: F355 and VOOT tunnel hope

Page 1 of 1
maurice x
rank 7
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 1:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
i came across a website in the uk which tunnels system link games from xbox, PS2, GC, and PSP to be played online. basically most games that have system link enabled options have been tunneled to be played online via PC (even if they dont have an online feature).
i asked them why havent they tunneled the dreamcast considering how dreamcast has F355 and virtual on which can be linked up. they told me there's not a great demand for DC gaming and they'd rather tunnel the NOKIA Ngage, but if i could bring 25 people who would use the service at a regular basis they'll consider tunneling the DC.
i dont know if it can be done or not, all i know is that they didnt say it was technically imposible, to them the issue right now is if its gonna have the numbers. so if you are serious about having some head to head gaming on F355 and VOOT online via tunneling check this website www.teamxlink.co.uk (go to the forum section, then to general discusion and click on dreamcast on Xlink) and tell them how serious you are about seeing the DC tunneled.

Last edited by maurice x on Tue May 03, 2005 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 1:22 am
quote : #2
i actually read that thread not too long ago.

i dont see how its possable though.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
maurice x
rank 7
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 1:43 am
quote : #3
i dont care about the technical aspects and that's not the issue. the issue here and all i care about is that they told me if i had at least 25 people they'll look in to it. if along the way while they are trying to get it working they find out it's not possible then so be it, at least we did what they asked us to and thats to bring the numbers.
you loose nothing by going there and putting your name down.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 5:49 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
maurice x wrote:
i dont care about the technical aspects and that's not the issue. the issue here and all i care about is that they told me if i had at least 25 people they'll look in to it. if along the way while they are trying to get it working they find out it's not possible then so be it, at least we did what they asked us to and thats to bring the numbers.
you loose nothing by going there and putting your name down.

So you only care about the technical aspects that the XLink team would bring to the table? Well I do have technical information, but since you don't care I won't post it. So I will make a different point...

I don't think it would be wise to poke at them to mess with this. The only way it would get tapped into the XLink network is by using the Dreamcast Broadband Adaptor. I personally don't think we need a bunch of non-dreamcast diehards buying up all the Dreamcast BBA's. The Dreamcast BBA is in short supply. I would much rather have them fall into the hands of gamers who need them.

EDIT: Further more by you saying you don't want to hear about the technical aspects, it seems you are trying to live a fantasy. You don't want us to tell you "no its not possible". But would rather reap the support of us and keep alive the idea that XLink would be capable of getting these games online. I think the term for this is disillusionment.
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 1:55 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
but xlink are experts in this field, surly if anyone could do it would be xlink?
rank 7
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 6:54 pm
quote : #6
Lordnikon wrote:
"EDIT: Further more by you saying you don't want to hear about the technical aspects, it seems you are trying to live a fantasy. You don't want us to tell you "no its not possible". But would rather reap the support of us and keep alive the idea that XLink would be capable of getting these games online. I think the term for this is disillusionment."

i simply asked Xlink a straight forward question: why dont you have DC tunneled? and i got a straightforward answer: bring 25+ people and we'll consider it. that's why i put the post here. my mama always said you'll never know until you try.
i'm not living a fantasy, i have NEVER said 'here is our chance guys Xlink CAN DO THIS so show your support' if you read my post earlier i said 'if Xlink fails to tunnel DC while working on it so be it, all i care is that we had 25 people to show there was support for it.'

By saying 'You don't want us to tell you "no it's not possible" and 'it seems you are trying to live a fantasy' are saying that the possibily of tunneling Dreamcast is impossible? please give me a staightforward answer Lordnikon, YES or NO

[/quote]

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 04, 2005 6:13 am
quote : #7
maurice x wrote:
Lordnikon wrote:
"EDIT: Further more by you saying you don't want to hear about the technical aspects, it seems you are trying to live a fantasy. You don't want us to tell you "no its not possible". But would rather reap the support of us and keep alive the idea that XLink would be capable of getting these games online. I think the term for this is disillusionment."

i simply asked Xlink a straight forward question: why dont you have DC tunneled? and i got a straightforward answer: bring 25+ people and we'll consider it. that's why i put the post here. my mama always said you'll never know until you try.
i'm not living a fantasy, i have NEVER said 'here is our chance guys Xlink CAN DO THIS so show your support' if you read my post earlier i said 'if Xlink fails to tunnel DC while working on it so be it, all i care is that we had 25 people to show there was support for it.'

By saying 'You don't want us to tell you "no it's not possible" and 'it seems you are trying to live a fantasy' are saying that the possibily of tunneling Dreamcast is impossible? please give me a staightforward answer Lordnikon, YES or NO

I don't give yes or no answers. I back up my replys with statistical information. I will not just say yes or no, and since you "don't care about the technical aspects", I won't post it in this thread.

In a few weeks a large posting of research dealing with virtual on will be posted. If you want, you are more than welcome to read this when it is posted to gain a greator understanding of how the Dreamcast sends data over the serial cable, and much much more.

-nikon
Posted:
Thu May 05, 2005 9:25 pm
quote : #8
Let Xlink look at the tunneling of these two games, it never hurts to get something going. As far as the Xlink team using the BBA and taking up some of the units is a little presumptious. Every time i look on Ebay to see how much a BBA is, i'm always amazed to see a "true DC enthusiast" getting a lot of money out these adapters. These people could care less about the DC scene.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Fri May 06, 2005 12:43 am
quote : #9
A tunnelling app. using a Coder's Cable-type device, interfacing with a PC, running over the net and then doing the opposite on the other end of the line? Sounds plausible. I'll wait until I read this investigation Nikon mentioned before I would get my hopes up, though. Virtual On might interface between systems differently than other games that have been easy to tunnel.

VOOT doesn't support the BBA. System link play must be hidden in the first place, because the manual makes no reference to it, and my case doesn't have the system link logo on the back. While playing VOOT or F355 "online" in such a fashion would be awesome, I don't know too many people who have a DC, a copy of either game, a coder's cable, and a broadband internet connection, so finding opponents would probably be extremely difficult.

CYRiX
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:02 pm
quote : #10
if u could play vs link games using the coders cable tons of people would get the stuff to paly them (me). I sent teamxlink a email.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:43 pm
quote : #11
CYRiX wrote:
if u could play vs link games using the coders cable tons of people would get the stuff to paly them (me). I sent teamxlink a email.

but you can't.
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:14 pm
quote : #12
yeah i forgot my idea but it will involve hard coding:
You have to have 2 dc's 2 game's a VS Link Cable and a codres you cable...
the coders cable sends the information to the play over the internet and the player does the same back.

yeah hard coding

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:55 pm
quote : #13
I think the real problem is the actual communication between the PC and DC. I'm not sure what the serial is on a DC (proprietary most likely (maple, though I think that's just the bus for the controllers)). PCs use the RS232 standard for serial communication. When the DCs are in "link mode" for vs. games, they're on their own proprietary transfer protocol.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:49 pm
quote : #14
OK yea locking this off. This thread is bordering on a rule violation that I have no had time to write up yet. Will explain later, hope to have it up on the site very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.