Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello, I have the PAL version of Quake III, I really miss it not being online. Anyone help me out getting the NTSC?

The problem I find is when I approach sellers in the USA to buy one they ask stupid amounts for postage! I cannot justify amounts like $10 to post a cd? I am a well known seller on Ebay and only charge £1.70 to post a CD from England to USA, so I look at it as a kick in the face to be asked for $10!

Not trying to offend any of our USA friends here, not everyone is guilty of postage crimes, just wanting a game of Q3 online again.

I don't have a burner on my antique of a PC, so I cannot sort it that way.

If anyone could help that would be great! I have a Paypal account and would happily pay for help!

All the best to you all

Kizzy

kjmontana
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:16 am
quote : #2
They charge us $5.00(4-6 days) for a 6x10 envelope with a range from 1 oz. to 4 lbs. Maybe your postal service should talk to our postal service and give us another option for packages under 13 oz(just like I use here: First Class). Not sure why we don't have a cheaper option. Well, there is ONE cheaper option but it takes 4-6 WEEKS! $10 IS too much, though.
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:27 am
quote : #3
Thanks for that info kjmontana! I get CD's from Canadian relatives and the postage is pretty cheap via Airmail. I am all for people covering costs posting items on eBay and of course making a small profit to pay for their time. I myself can spend 20 hours a week packing Ebay parcels, so I have to allow for that time as well.

Glad you agree, $10 is a rip-off!

Cheers for that!

Kizzy

kjmontana
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:28 pm
quote : #4
...this: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immicleg_021.html. I guess if a package weighs 6 oz or less, this would be a better option(price-wise). I didn't see a time estimate, though. Or, we could do like the Flintstones and utilize living creatures for this menial task. Dolphins, seagulls, reality show contestants, etc. Any of these could do it cheaper and faster. And we could watch it on Fox Network: "Battle of the Postal Conglomerate Alternatives"!
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:51 pm
quote : #5
Very Happy Nice one!! Thanks for the link! Hope someone helps me out soon, but I have found a seller who is asking reasonable postage now. Just hope I win the auction!

Kizzy

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:44 am
quote : #6
I've actually got a couple of spares that I picked up for cheap a while ago. PM me if you need one. I'd only charge actual postage, and I can put up an auction on eBay so that you can "buy it now" for actual cost.

I think my estimates of postage are on the order of $5 or so, but of course I'd do it however was cheapest.

And yes, I also completely disagree with price-gouging on postage.
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:09 am
quote : #7
kizzy, try liksang.com...... they sell quake 3 US new for around 9 $.... shipping is cheap!
Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:25 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
here Smile

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-74-15-quake-70-1li-43-4.html
Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:25 pm
quote : #9
I sent something to a friend in the UK recently using USPS Global Priority mail and it was $10 for 2 cds. (actual cost) and then I sent a single CD later and it was $8.
I wasn't trying to rip anyone off, that's truly how much it cost me.
So $10 doesn't really seem like a lot to me when you consider that EB charges me like $5 shipping within the U.S. and it's only $3-$5 more for me to ship to the UK.
rank 40
Posted:
Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:13 am
quote : #10

yes, playasia is also good, but some stuff is overprized. Did anyone noticed that CHAOS FIELD preorders Smile
Posted:
Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:34 pm
quote : #11
Well Folks! So many of you have offered help, I have sorted it out now and will be getting my back-side kicked on Quake 3 very soon!

Thanks to all who offered help!

Interesting to know more about Rip-Off prices on USA postage, I had lots of comments, via email, I have read some interesting things. So many more Europeans would buy from the USA if prices were more in-line with what it costs to send from eg England to USA.

A big thanks to Martianviking! Very nice chap! A pleasure to speak and deal with! (More people you "I say")

So hopefully see you all soon on Q3 again, look out for Kizzy! I will be awful at this game, mainly because of playing Half-life and having controls the opposite way around!

Cheers to all!

Kizzy

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:47 pm
quote : #12
Well, here's the deal with postage for one game (single CD including jewel case) from the US to the UK.

I looked it up at the US Postal Service website (and at the UPS store), and it looked like the best bet would be to send it through the USPS using "Global Priority Mail" for $5 (taking 4-6 days). UPS was about $17.

When I got to the post office, I had bubble wrap envelope that was the right size (less than 6" x 10"), but the lady tried to charge me a little over $8. I asked why it wasn't $5 like it said on the website. She said it had to be in their special 6" x 10" cardboard "Global Priority" envelope to qualify for that price. She showed me one. It was blue and grey and had an eagle on it.

So I shoved my plain yellow bubble wrap envelope inside her pretty cardboard envelope and handed it back to her. She said, "Okay" and charged me $5. Whatever.
Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:18 pm
quote : #13
Well I now have Q3 NTSC version, a very big thanks to Martainviking!

He could have just sent it in an envelope, but no! I got a bullet-proof package through the post, plus a the game in excellent condition!

What more can one ask for?

(Well I could make a list of "What more can I ask for?", but that would take pages and pages up on this site!)

Anyway, thanks for everyones help!

ANYONE WANTING A GAME OF QUAKE 3, JUST ASK!

Kizzy