1, 2, 3  Next
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey Y'all!

I was poking around the dreamcastgallery.com site looking for information on the Mad Catz Panther XL Flight Stick, and instead I came across this badass looking controller:

http://www.dreamcastgallery.com/dc/gallery.asp?selected_endorsed_id=802

Does anyone have this thing, or have you used one? I've never seen the thing, but it appears to be designed for or endorsed by Sega - like many ASCII controllers.

Also, what games is it designed to work with? Will it work with a FPS like Quake III or Half-Life?

How are my little crackers doing today?
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:41 pm
quote : #2
it loks awesome. that's all i know Cool
unknown
Posted:
Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:26 pm
quote : #3
looks like there may be a ball under it (like a mouse) very cool

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:47 am
quote : #4
that things of the hook!!! i mean jesaaaaas i want one of those, never seen it before if anyone knows what its compatible with i will be looking for one of those!!
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:43 pm
quote : #5
That's what I'm saying! I want one. I have no idea where to find one, but I want one.

I searched the net for one, but I haven't been successful yet. If anyone knows where to find one, or has any information on it, please let me know.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:42 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hmmm yea thats what I wanna know. how this baby handles. This could be the Q3 dream machine? Very Happy
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:11 pm
quote : #7
maybe extensive errsearch would prove congragulatory! (nerd speak ended Razz )
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:02 pm
quote : #8
Giddyaaap! My apologizes for bumping this stale ass thread, but I finally found an ASCII Mission Stick! I was just farting around on Ebay, and I found one!

It's on the way to me now, so I can finally check it off my list. Here's a picture of it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280011822987&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3 AIT&rd=1

I can't wait for it to show up, so I can try it out. Have any of you used one of these before? I'm still trying to see what it's compatible with. Hopefully it works with shooters as well as flying games. Dang, I hope it works with Propeller Arena.

Woo hoo!

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:19 am
quote : #9
Aw man! I was looking at that same one a couple days ago. You got it for a good price. Congrats! I know you'll put it to good use. Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:28 am
quote : #10
Kingofgrills, NO need to apologize. It is ok to bump old topics here :] I encourage people to do it. The topics are there, might as well use them to keep conversations going.

I wonder how well the mission stick would work for Starlancer.
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:47 am
quote : #11
Type: PAL
that looks sweet. I have never seen many of these mission sticks before. As nikon said it could be ideal for Quake, or any FPS (half-life Mr. Green ) hope it works well, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:24 pm
quote : #12
Well my early comment about Quake 3 was more of an ignorant post from 2004. You know those posts where you go "what the hell was I thinking". The mission stick is best suited for flight games.
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:52 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
I wonder how well the mission stick would work for Starlancer.

Shocked That idea never crossed my wee little brain before. Excellent question, LordNikon.

Shocked I'll have to do some extensive testing when it arrives.

Topside
unknown
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:13 pm
quote : #14

wow the way you guys were talkin' I had to czech this out. Loox pretty cool. I thought the opening circle was for the VMU though:?:

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:32 am
quote : #15
Yeah, the top opening is the VMU slot, but I'm not yet sure why the screen opening is round instead of rectangular. I'm also curious to see how exactly the trim switches in the upper left adjust the controllers. I can make out that some are labelled for the buttons, but I can't tell if any are designated for the stick.

Man, snail mail definitely is snail mail...

Oh hell yeah! After typing that, I realized I hadn't checked the mail yet today. The mission stick came, and it's really great from a design perspective.

The controller is a lot larger than I thought it would be, yet it is very sleek. The metal base measures just over 1 1/2" thick at the top (except for the spherical dome for the VMU), and it tapers to just 1/4" at the bottom. The controller is 13" inches wide and 10" across. The D Pad is standard size, while the standard 4 button ABXY configuration uses buttons that are roughly 1/2 the size of those on the arcade stick - much larger than standard controller buttons. Also, the pod on the left holds the left and right analog triggers, so that is definitely designed for throttle and brake applications. The stick itself is very large, fitting comfortably in the palm of my hand. (That really didn't come out right. My apologies Rolling Eyes ) Anyway, it's fully analog, but it also houses a distinct left-right guide, probably to allow more precise rolls in flight. The stick has two top buttons and a side button, labelled 1, 2, and 3 from right to left. The switches in the upper left adjust settings for A,B,X,Y and 1,2,3. I didn't receive the instructions or original packaging with this, so I'll have to play around with them to discover the setting differences.

For those of you who are interested, the model sticker on the bottom says "ASCII Mission Stick ASC-1305MS Made in Indonesia" Anyway, that's enough of a description for now, I'm going to go plug it in to start testing games with it.

Last edited by kingofgrills on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total