Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
mytocles
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey,

i'm less addicted to the dual analog sticks than to the inverted controls (your description is correct, it's like using a flight stick when flying). Inverted controls are generally NOT considered the default setting, but the newer games and systems almost always offer the choice.

to get back to your question - i can live with the single analog stick, particularly with Soul Reaver style controls, because the character moves pretty fluidly without it - and doesn't have to look up - he just jumps around to see what's "up". the inverted controls issue is the real problem - i might be able to overcome it if i restricted default controls, but i have so many games and systems that allow the inverted, that i haven't had a reason to change until Dreamcast became involved. plus, it's so frustrating constantly aiming the wrong direction, it's hard not to give up quickly.

i'd have to say that my favorite type controls are Xbox Halo controls, inverted, if you're familiar with those. and on the reverse, i'm totally incapable of playing Resident Evil, and i believe it was "The Ring, Terror's Realm" that was similar on DC and i couldn't even move the character. they had the dreaded non-inverted controls, plus the business where your character moves backwards when you push down on the thumbpad - together, i just kept dying - rapidly.

and that's part of the problem - that when you are so bad at the regular controls, you can't even practice, because you just die instantly while your just standing there trying to aim or even move! of course, when the monsters are in your face, then panic sets in, which really blows any chance of gaining control!

thanks again, looking forward to help of any sort!

regards,

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they!
Dannycas
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:33 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
mmmm im the opposite i HATE inverted controls. i think for 2 sticks the default halo controls are as perfect as possible. for 1 stick its definitely possible to have a good fps-just look at goldeneye, best fps ever. comparing goldeneye to DC, u have the analog stick for both, a,b,x,y for DC = C buttons, L and R = R and Z, and the dpad= a and b. i use the goldeneye controls in quake 3
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:44 pm
quote : #3
ummm,

unfortunately, i've never played goldeneye and your explanation confused me - so i went to EB and refreshed my memory - you mean goldeneye for n64, right? hmm... i'll have to ponder that for a bit - with the n64 and a DC controller in front of me probably! i've always had some trouble switching games and control schemes, it takes me a bit to get into the new game and it's assigned buttons. it hasn't been a major problem until fairly lately with the default vs. inverted thing being the worst problem.

plus, unfortunately, my sig is more real than i'd like: i have a mitochondrial condition which mostly affects my muscles, but has had some effect on my memory, moreso of late. so, even tho' i played Halo through 3 times, and Morrowind (also XB) i played for like 5 or 6 months - i could not, right now, pick up the controller and play either game without starting over on the controls, and spending some time doing it too. i may have to adjust more by carefully choosing games or doing something silly (yes, i've tried turning the controller upside down, but it didn't work - though i haven't given up on that sort of thing yet!)

thanks for the help, i'll see if i can figure it out, in the meantime, play, play, play~~~~

Dannycas
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:48 pm
quote : #4
My analogy was comparing the default Goldneye controls on the N64 controller to customizing your controls on the DC. I said this because people say that it is impossible ot have a good FPS with only one analog stick, and I think Goldeneye is the best one ever, and it has one analog stick.
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:25 pm
quote : #5
Well I know a variety of games will allow you to adjust it to be inverted. I personally play inverted as well in all first person shooters when I am playing with a controller. I know games like Outtrigger, Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament and others all have the option to invert the aiming.

However to solve your problem as a whole regardless of wether the game has an invert option or not. You need to find a PS2 controller that allows you to invert the leftside analog stick. You will need a PS2 2 DC convertor. As this is a PS2 controller. There is one that is called the FPS master controller...and it lets you invert both sticks I believe. But the DC only uses on analog.....so the A, B, X, Y buttons become crucial for directional movement, and the FPS master controller has all the buttons moved around.

One controller coming out soon is the "Phoenix Revolution Controller" for the PS2. Which looks like it will have some promissing features.

http://www.radicauk.com/product/rc74160.htm

This is set to release in the US at the end of October. I'm anxious to see just how far the customization in thie controller goes.
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:05 pm
quote : #6
hey,

thank you both for the info. i know i have Outrigger, just got it in a trade with someone, just haven't looked at it yet (is there such a tthing as too many games - blasphemy!) and Quake IIII, which is also on my list of games to play - knowing it's inverted will give me more impetus toward that. i've also considered the Dream"something-or-other that has a ps2 and a keyboard adapter. i passed on it because i got a batch of 9 Sega keyboards, so didn't need the adapter anymore. that phoenix controller does sound interesting.

thanks again!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:34 am
quote : #7
Yea Quake 3 is very special. It will let you completly customise your entire controller scheme however you want.

Also I am gonna be looking into the Pheonix Revolution controller when it's released. I'll let you know my findings.