Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
DarkShadowRage
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
but i have a problem. when the game starts up.

where it says Namco and Soul Calibur the screen is a glitchy and flipping out. what the hell? then it goes to a TV mode setting like 75hz 60hz etc then when i get to the main menu it's fine. whats going on ?!

Posted Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:45 pm:

anyone?
StarLancer Online Name:(Shadow)
ASL:19/male/usa/texas
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:22 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
PAL European version of the game.
Posted:
Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:50 am
quote : #3
say WHAT?! *crys*
Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:20 pm
quote : #4
you have a PAL copy of the game.

the PAL version of the game will load in 50hz setting as a default. Not all european TVs are compatible with the 60hz NTSC format so this is a failsafe in case you have one such TV.

It then asks you if you wish to switch to 60hz mode (which you do, obviously)

Hope this helps mate

DarkShadowRage
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:24 pm
quote : #5
omg a PAL copy in a US Gamestop what the hell!? ;_;

i need to buy a US Copy... grrr...

*Bolts over to EB games and hopes there is a NON pal version*

i cant belive this.. i got this for $20.00 too.. grrr
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:50 pm
quote : #6
??? if the game (PAL) owns a 50 - 60 HZ switch option it works perfect on a US TV (60 HZ!!!) - most of PAL DC games owns that option. So it isnt real U TV ---- if U set 50 HZ game mode in soul calibur (PAL) on U NTSCTV (60HZ) U will sure have probs! So if U game is real a PAL game set (press) 60 HZ option at the beginning - should be the middle button. After that the game shows U how it will look at 60 HZ - like a test. Thats all, its not an eror. So nothing is broken and U dont need a US game. That option and the test after that is normal Razz
(all US games are 60 HZ coz NTSC Smile so U havent that option in a US version - U dont need it)
Posted:
Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:47 am
quote : #7
Come on, stop playing it off like you bought this game. First of all, if it was the PAL version you would have to use a boot disc to boot the game. That would have been an instant tip off...that you had to use a boot disc to boot it. Second of all if you had bought it, put it in your dreamcast, and it didn't boot...then you would think you had a bogus disc, since it wouldn't have booted at all.

You downloaded the game. Atleast everything you have said so far points to this.
Posted:
Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:50 am
quote : #8
i didnt need a boot disc.. i sware i have the real version.. im not playing dude. treasures like soul calibur i wouldent pirate..
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:23 pm
quote : #9
maybe this has already been said but i didnt see it so i'll just go ahead and say it! the pal version isnt defaulted to start at 50hz at all it has the select option just like many other games. i am certain as i only just used it the other day and i have had my copy since release. its probably a crap copy hes using or a fault on the lense. i have had that before where the picture glitches, and also if i used to activate an exploder cheat it would often hang on the intro to a game. a good example is when i used to use invincibillity to play spawn in the demons hand the fmv intro just cracked and froze while the music played
Posted:
Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:49 pm
quote : #10
^^--- exactly i dont even think its the pal version now after that. i think it's the US version cuz it doesnt even say PAL on the case. i think my version is just jacked up.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:04 pm
quote : #11
DarkShadowRage wrote:
i didnt need a boot disc.. i sware i have the real version.. im not playing dude. treasures like soul calibur i wouldent pirate..

...exactly i dont even think its the pal version now after that. i think it's the US version cuz it doesnt even say PAL on the case. i think my version is just jacked up.

Well that is indeed very strange. I'm not sure what could be triggering the hertz screen. If it booted right up then it is indeed a US version. The fact that it is displaying that screen is kinda wierd. I can't give any further advice. I would have to be there to scope it out. Mad
Posted:
Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:11 pm
quote : #12
ah well atleast you tried :p
icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:30 am
quote : #13
Single me out; I don't believe it. Razz

GameStop stopped carrying DC games a long time ago, and have since shipped anything that they have left to their GameStop.com inventory stores. Aside from that, there is still the "14-day guarantee." Why not bring the game back, get your $20 (or at least some of it), and wait until you see another of the "treasure"?

The US version absolutely does not have a refresh rate selection screen, as has been mentioned, there would be no need (all NTSC are 60 Hz, as far as I'm aware). The PAL version does default to 50 Hz, since that would be the lowest common denominator (such as with PC video cards defaulting to 56/60 Hz). No screen flipping would be seen on a PAL television, though, since they are all (as far as I'm aware) at least compatible with 50 Hz. Furthermore, I believe that European DC game cases do not even read "PAL" anywhere on the case, even though US releases (at least) read NTSC-U, on the back.

A pirated copy of the game (download or otherwise) could be made to self-boot, and as such, a separate boot disk would not be necessary. I have one, which I was scammed $10 out of for, a couple of years back (along with three other pirate copies, which I was greatly upset over). At least it seems that you received a nice copy, with a label and a US case and everything... Mine was four CD-Rs in a t-shirt, in a box, or something Laughing

I despise pirate copies. Mad
souLLy
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:05 am
quote : #14
pal dcs boot up in 50hz, then the option to switch between 50/60 pops up before the titles.

it's clearly a pirate copy... at least be honest. like you wouldn't notice the pal box which is drastically different from ntsc cases, unless you bought an unboxed game... but $20 for an unboxed game that isn't very rare for the dreamcast... i jus't don't see it.
Posted:
Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:52 am
quote : #15
nope its not pirated.