1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:33 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
It seems with each passing day the landscape of Dreamcast online continues to evolve. Sometimes for better, and most times towards the inevitable idea that any official mainstay of Dreamcast online, will eventually shutdown, and move on. In late october/early november, the developer of North America's premiere net browsing software, shut down their Dreamcast portal. PlanetWeb has always been an iconic entity in the eyes of DC users, and directly associated with the Dreamcast and it's internet capabilities. Their software took many online with their Dreamcast's for the first time during the console's launch, and still to this day.

Recently, The Dreamcast Browsers Group reported with an email sent to planetweb. The CEO replied with the following response:

> At this time we have no plans to bring back
> dreamcast.planetweb.com, but if
> we receive a significant amount of email regarding
> it we may re-consider
> this decision.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> ----------
> Ken Soohoo
> President and CEO
> Planetweb, Inc.

This was a warrented and justified move for planetweb. They need to move on, and their portal for Dreamcast users was not being used enough to warrent keeping it online. More importantly I would also like to point out tools.planetweb.com is also down, and currently re-directs to their home page. So PlanetWeb is definatly re-adjusting to push forward with their business and website.

Side Comments:
To those who are, for whatever reason, looking to take up Ken's offer to put the sites back up. Please stop, and think about this for a minute. Why would you want them back online? What purpose would it serve? The site hold's a lot of nostalgic value, it has a large VMI cache with tons of game saves, as well as the basic historical log from it's forums and user reviews, but that's pretty much it. The only reason having it back up would be for it just to exist. While dreamcast.planetweb.com served as an excellent archive of it's historical presence. It currently was serving little to no modern use.

I see a lot of people mobilizing to start emailing the CEO and get the site back up. However I don't think these people even went to dreamcast.planetweb.com on a regular basis. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe you guys used the site every day for the past 5 months str8 and it was a staple of your life. If you have a real concrete and justifiable reason to email planetweb, then by all means do so. If you do not, think it over, and think whether your really emailing them to have the site back up "for the hell of it".

However, I do think there is an opportunity we can take advantage of here. There are some java games, scripts, and possibly the vmu archive(if its small enough), that could be sent to us....IF we contact him in a serious and presentable way. (Remember, he is looking for motivation to take the time out of his day to do this. So just a few emails nagging him isn't going to do anything at all, and just serves as spam in some respects.)

Seeing as how he did offer to do something, if he got a large enough response, here is my proposition:
I will work on, draft, and write a thank you letter, thanking PlanetWeb for their dedication to the Dreamcast Online community over the years, etc etc. Everyone at the website...or even at other websites can add their own replies and we can send it to PlanetWeb in one large email. Overall this would be a THANK YOU email. Not a petition. At the end of my response I would say something to the effects of "Any software, scripts, or archived material from the original portal that you could provide to the Dreamcast community would be greatly appreciate." Or something like that, I still gotta think of how I would word that.

Also, a lot of people seem to "not get" my motives sometimes, and keep flipping things around as to why OnlineConsoles exists. This isn't an email from OnlineConsoles. It's an email from the Dreamcast community. And any scripts, files, or archived information retrieved from PlanetWeb, would be presented in full (of course if PlanetWeb were to condone that)....like I said...presented in full and hosted for everyone to download. OnlineConsoles is here to make information publically available, so that when websites go down, the users have the power to keep dreamcast online alive.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:25 am; edited 4 times in total
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:13 am
quote : #2
Yeah have to aggre with you we should just thank them.I was probably one of the few that went to dreamcast.planetweb.com,every day.Well I was wondering if another dreamcast online thing will get cancel.Maybe the dreamcasr dose not desrve to be an online console.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:55 pm
quote : #3
Metal Hedgehog wrote:
Maybe the dreamcasr dose not desrve to be an online console.

What? are you crazy?
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:44 pm
quote : #4
i always tried going to there site, but I think I was typing in the wrong thing, planetweb.com. But I could get on it from my dreamcast. So now that there gone, where else can I download VMU games and game contant?

InternetAddict
unknown
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:07 pm
quote : #5
No online game/service is safe anymore I know that now, eventually everything will probably be offline Sad I'm sure glad I grabbed a bunch of saves while I had the chance. And for the people who didn't well you snooze you lose I guess lol It's sad to say but after losing all these great servers worms world party pso unreal etc etc etc I'm not suprised about the site closing.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:08 pm
quote : #6
hell-online wrote:
i always tried going to there site, but I think I was typing in the wrong thing, planetweb.com. But I could get on it from my dreamcast. So now that there gone, where else can I download VMU games and game contant?

Well there are tons of websites out there that have VMU saves on them. And as far as official download content. Check here:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/cms_articles.php?cid=4

We have it all available for download.
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:50 pm
quote : #7
I agree and support your "thank-you letter" idea, lordnikon. I myself was thinking of e-mailing Mr Soohoo at Planetweb, but, I couldn't think of exactly why I would be doing so. Your plan sounds great to me, and, I will be keeping tabs on this so that I may submit my own little note when the time comes.
Metal Hedgehog
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:10 pm
quote : #8
I wrote:Maybe the dreamcast dose not desrve to be an online console.

Lordnikon wrote:What? are you crazy?

Well what im saiyng is every time sega tries to make something like a console.It allways gets slap in the back hipedeteckly speakin.Just like me when ever I tried doing something nice i allways get slap on the back....But suprisingly it gets back up...

mauro2029
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:16 pm
quote : #9
Yeah I noticed the site was down this week and was pretty bummed.

Let's mass e-mail them so they bring it back up!!

Technofungk
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:26 am
quote : #10
As always, Lord Nikon comes up with another positive plan to help the Dreamcast community! Wink

I'm in total agreement with your idea for sending a special "Thank You" letter / e-mail to Ken Soohoo & PlanetWeb. Even if he decides not to forward the information that you plan to request, I'm sure that he will appreciate the gesture.

Who knows.....he might be so impressed that he'll keep OnlineConsoles.com in mind for something big down the road!

Anyway Nikon, keep us posted. As for me, I'll be willing to contribute to your letter if you like.

Technofungk
Posted:
Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:23 pm
quote : #11
the day they took it down i emailed them asking if they could send me a backup of the site so i could host it somewhere else but they said that the website backup was to big to send because of all the vmu files

beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:45 pm
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U
nevets933 wrote:
the day they took it down i emailed them asking if they could send me a backup of the site so i could host it somewhere else but they said that the website backup was to big to send because of all the vmu files

Does anyone in here have a backup of the site?
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:16 am
quote : #13
Exactly to which e-mail should we send the "thank you", "death threat", or whatever so that they put that site back up?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:01 pm
quote : #14
Type: Pal
If your a Pal user like me then youve actualy already seen this happen not once but twice. Dreamarena Sega europes original DC only site closed its doors and was taken over by the sega-europe site. Sega-europe then shut its doors to DC users. Think some of its content was saved over at another Pal based site ( dreamenia or something like that ) but most of it is gone.

If you want I'll sign on a mass email as Planet web seems fairly negotiative but at the end of the day things carry on reguardless.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:33 am
quote : #15
are we still gonna be able to use the webbroswer?