Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Basketcast25
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello Everyone,
I am a new member and just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I have just very recently joined the owners of Dreamcast consoles with a steal of a deal on Ebay, and much to my suprise found very few games left that have online capabilities. I was looking into getting one last year, which the last time I was looking into information on the Dreamcast still had quite a few games with online.
I had almost given up hope till someone in sega.com thread reffered me to this site, and I have been drawn back to it again and again. It gives me hope to see such dedicated and loyal fans and a way to become part of that. I have always been a Sega fan, I know that may not mean much coming from someone who just purchased a Dreamcast now in 2004 instead of 1999 when it was released. I just wanted to let all of you know that I will do what I can to help, I've found the lists of titles that still have online gameplay that is active and am planning on buying those games. Right now I am trying to do some reseach into the system from the beggining to now, games, accessories, etc. etc. if anyone knows of any sites or places where I can get alot of that information please let me know, I have alot of catching up to do. Anyway, I applaud you all for your dedication and look forward to being a member here and thank the creator or creators of the site for keeping the dream alive.
Posted:
Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:37 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
Hi, and welcome to the team Smile
Posted:
Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:07 pm
quote : #3
welcome

and don't worry...it's never too late to purchase a Dreamcast
unknown
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:22 pm
quote : #4
yeah man its good to welcome a dc virgin, and just so as you know the dreamcasts best features arent its online capabilities. i know you probably arent one of those guys but a lot of people buy the dc cos they find out its still magically online but the real draw for the dreamcast is its AWESOME game library, best ever imo the fact that nearly a dozen games can still be played online on the dc is merely a bonus.

anyway once again welcome and enjoy your time with dc online however long left that maybe. even if the online side finished (which it wont cos Q3A will be online for good!!) i would like to think that everyone here will still play there white box of joy simply cos its a work of art and gives sooo much for a mere £20 or less.
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:27 pm
quote : #5
The Dreamcast does sure seems like it has an awesome library, alot of games I want to get, I've tried telling some of my freinds to check into getting a Dreamcast, you would not believe how many people think it is a 32 bit system like the Saturn or PS1, all they remember was commercials for it and seeing it back in a time when 32 bit systems were ruling the land. I tell em this is far from a 32 bit machine. Some of my buddies are now definately lookin into one after seeing mine, you just can't pass up the system, everything is so cheap for it and yet so great. I am definately looking into trying to score Quake 3 - Question though, I thought the Q3 servers were down for it, are you still able to play on it? And how, where?
Another question, I know the PAL servers for PSO are still online and the NTSC ones are down, is there anyone privatly hosting a server for it in the U.S.? I've heard it's one hell of a game, I havn't played it yet, I'm not the biggest player of RPG's, no offense, but I here this is the game that will make you love em, The Legend of Zelda series is about the closest thing I regularly play to an rpg. From what I've heard whether your playing on or offline, its killer either way. Your right Ultrapro, I didnt buy the Dreamcast just for some online salvation, but I definately am going to try to enjoy it while its still here. Whats everyones pick on best titles to pick up for the Dreamcast?
Quote:

Posted by ultrapro at Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:22 pm
Post subject:
yeah man its good to welcome a dc virgin, and just so as you know the dreamcasts best features arent its online capabilities. i know you probably arent one of those guys but a lot of people buy the dc cos they find out its still magically online but the real draw for the dreamcast is its AWESOME game library, best ever imo the fact that nearly a dozen games can still be played online on the dc is merely a bonus.

anyway once again welcome and enjoy your time with dc online however long left that maybe. even if the online side finished (which it wont cos Q3A will be online for good!!) i would like to think that everyone here will still play there white box of joy simply cos its a work of art and gives sooo much for a mere £20 or less.
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:37 pm
quote : #6
well if your from the us then your in luck cos q3 still works online over there and will for good cos it allows you to pick servers before it dials i think or something like that. but the pal version wont work as it verifys with the dreamarena first which doesnt work anymore. there are private servers for pso but they are not really worth worrying about as you cant get online with the ntsc version. unless you gameshark it or something but talking about it is against board policy/rules really. anyway man pick up as much software as you can for it cos its all good but if i had to suggest 10 games and i think thats all anyone else who replies should do cos the last thing we need is another post for everyones long looooong lists of games they like. check out my collection list in the collection thread everyone has theres linked in there. and you can see my collection in my gallery.

1. Ikaruga
2. halflife
3. shenmue 2
4. skies of arcadia
5. headhunter
6. soul calibur
7. phantasy star online ver 2
8. quake 3 arena
9. rez
10. shenmue.

there are many others well worth buying but i suggest if your in the eu or us then import from japan even if you only get ikaruga. its the game that changed my whole personallity, my whole outlook on life and games. it made me see that the system and age isnt the point. only the experience that the game gives you. i was already a big dc fan but my xbox was starting to take over and ikaruga just pulled me back from the brink. anyway as i said enjoy your dc and never hit it as they are VERY fragile!!!!
Posted:
Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:08 am
quote : #7
Excellent list, ultrapro. Wink

I'd also like to mention that I took a chance on an inexpensive Japanese baseball game, which turned out to be a lot of fun. "Pro Yakyu Team de Asobou!" It took me and my DC buddies a while to figure it out (due to the game and instructions being in Japanese), but once we figured out how to do some fancy pitches and field and steal bases and such, we started to have some pretty interesting gameplay. The learning curve, while seemingly steep, was ascended fairly quickly and the next game that we play, it's going to be on.

Now, I know that this can happen with any system, but, it felt so great to pick up a new game that I hadn't heard anything about from anyone, in a sense "just coming out" for me, and enjoying such a fresh experience, so many years after the system's discontinuation. I suppose that it should be expected; I mean, there are supposedly something like 700+ games between all three regions; I certainly couldn't have heard of all of them!

There are tons of fun to be had with the DC, even speaking as someone that has researched many titles since Border Down was released, and heard about countless others by word-of-mouth (mostly message boards), and whom has yet to even try a third of them!

A very warm welcome to Basketcast25. Cool
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:52 am
quote : #8
i think 700+ is a bit of an exageration seeing as most games ported from japan end up with different names and different content (as in most of it missing) and thats where a lot of confusion comes from i think, i'd say there are closer to 400 dc games in total. around 220 were released in the uk a good 50-100 that never made it to the uk from the us and the same again from japan, maybe more. i dont suppose anyone has a full list of what games came out across all 3 regions. anyway you'll usually be pleasantly suprised if you pick something up that you havent heard of.