Topic: Twin Sticks

Page 1 of 1
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:38 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Is there any other game besides VOOT that is designed to use the Twin Stick controllers on Dreamcast?

I have been eyeing the Twin Sticks for quite a while. As much as I like VOOT, I can't find myself justifying $100+ to have them for just one game. Do they work with any other games too?

How are my little crackers doing today?
Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:58 pm
quote : #2
That would be pretty awesome if they worked for QIIIA.
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:43 pm
quote : #3
If you get that Total Control thing I guess you could use it on Saturn's VOOT games.
One could fuck around and use it on other games I guess... or will it not read the controller?

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:44 pm
quote : #4
maybe modding it. Ask over at dc emulation
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:24 pm
quote : #5
umm, I don't think one would mod a +$100 controller Laughing Razz

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #6
they mod other stuff. i doubt they care. neither do i
unknown
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:49 pm
quote : #7
Well, eh, as much as I support modding and all, that is kind of pointless, considering you can just use the $40 Saturn TwinSticks+converter.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:54 pm
quote : #8
yeah i almost bought those a month ago. didn't feel the need though
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:45 pm
quote : #9
Morph wrote:
Well, eh, as much as I support modding and all, that is kind of pointless, considering you can just use the $40 Saturn TwinSticks+converter.

Indeed.

If you get the Dreamcast Twin Sticks, you might be stuck with using them with VOOT and nothing else. Is that a bad thing? No. But read on. (I don't know of any Dreamcast-to-Saturn adapter, though it might exist.)

Getting yourself a Saturn Twin Stick unit, on the other hand, expands the unit's usefulness to a whopping two games. Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram on Dreamcast (why do I always want to say "Oratio?") and Virtual On: Cybertroopers on Saturn are the only two games that can use the sticks, as I understand it. (Okay, I guess you could say three if you include Virtual On: Cybertroopers "NetLink Edition" for Saturn, but that's really just the same game with direct-dial NetLink support.) Get yourself a Saturn-to-Dreamcast adapter that is compatible with the Twin Sticks (not all of them are), and you've just doubled your investment (depending on how you look at it). You should be able to find an adapter for less than $20 (check eBay if you can, otherwise head straight for the SmartJoy corner at Lik-Sang.)

Yes, I did recently get a Saturn Twin Stick unit. I don't regret it one bit. I just wish I had two. Cool
Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:49 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
the dreamconnection II doesn't work with the saturn twin sticks as I just found out....sigh.
unknown
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:27 am
quote : #11
I picked up two sets of DC twin sticks a while back and they are great for VOOT. I can't really use them for anything else, but I don't regret getting them in the least. They're such a blast with two players.
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 am
quote : #12
OK, check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3654&item=8177722832&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I always see this guy selling multiple sets of Twin Sticks, DC and SS.

if you get the SS version, you can use it on the SS Virtual On, Gundam Side Story parts 2 & 3, there is one other mech game you can use it, something 2, I'm sure some can fill that in. W/ a Total Control 3 (only w/ this adapter) you will be able to use the SS twin sticks on the DC. I saw a week ago or more someone who was selling SS Twin Sticks modified for the PS, so if you pick those up, you can use it on the PS version of VO and use the Total Control 2(?which ever one is PS->DC). Its a great collectors piece and makes the game so much easier.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:19 pm
quote : #13
yeah but that guy sells with 50 dollar shipping Neutral there are better deals to be found on ebay. however, that dealer is selling modified ps functional twin sticks, but i wouldn't recommend buying them as taking a modified controller and using a modifier to make it compatible with another system isn't entirely safe. as we found out with that other ps2 controller, just because its supposed to work, doesn't mean the total control always will. i'd recommend shelling out an extra 50 or so for the dc sticks or buying the saturn ones and trying to find the saturn to dc controller switcher thingy. i know they exist, i just can't remember where i found them.
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:32 pm
quote : #14
this is the SS->DC adapter that does work
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-TC3.html

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:49 am:

Total Control 5 should work also. TC5 converts PS and SS controllers to work on DC. Lik-sang really emphasised the word all when talking about SS controllers, so I guess they mean Twin Sticks too.

Posted Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:09 pm:

actually the TC5 does something else, so nevermind that.

Today I finally tried out my TC3 and my VO:OT, and guess what! After I selected my characters for training mode, the DC stopped detecting my Twin Sticks! The TS are fine, I checked them out on my SS, but I tried out other SS controllers w/ the TC3, and they didn't work! EMS garbage! I had a EMS 4in1 Plus crap out on me before because I took it out while the SS was on, but I did nothing of the sort this time w/ my TS! I picked my characters, and advanced to the next option screen, the arena select screen, and that was the end of that, ,none of my controllers were detected. After rebooting, it was just the TC3 that was undetected. That is very upsetting. Might end up buying the official DC TS in the end anyway. I emailed EMS w/ my problem, and the guy I bought it from. VO doesn't seem fun at all w/ a normal controller. I love my SS VO, could the controller be all the difference? I actually like the little launch sequences on the SS more aswell. But the DC one looks SO polished! This is very upsetting.

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:34 pm:

*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*
It seems that playing on a US DC the converter might not have enough power to sustain its function. This sounds kinda BS to me, but it still doesn't work for me. Also, the VMU slot on that adapter erased all my PSO stuff, so I have to start from scratch on my character.

Posted Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:14 pm:

*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*
Further update. I have received my TC3 replacement. Tested it w/ my Twin Sticks for an hour, and had no problems. I tested my SS controller w/ Capcom vs. SNK 2 for a half hour and had no problems either. In fact it was wierd how in the controller lay out it actually recongized the C and Z buttons not as L and R. VO:OT is so much better w/ Twin Sticks.