Page 1 of 2
beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Should I get this one? http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=32&products_id=49&img=dc-coolingfan-hais

Or should I get a different one?
Posted:
Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:31 pm
quote : #2
pretty intresting device there i would get it if i had a credit card.you should get it.whats the price for it anyway Question

beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:39 am
quote : #3
It is $10... The only problem is the shipping...
Posted:
Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:31 pm
quote : #4
sYk0 wrote:
It is $10... The only problem is the shipping...

$10.00 bucks doesnt sound too bad but what about the shipping how much they want for that Question

beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:57 pm
quote : #5
12-15 bucks on the shipping.
Posted:
Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:09 am
quote : #6
sYk0 wrote:
12-15 bucks on the shipping.

that is pretty high but its okay i guess as long as you have the cash to spend it i would Very Happy its pretty impressive that someone out there is still putting out games and little gadgets here and there for sega dreamcast long live DC Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:12 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
I still havnt tried out this fan. But any money invested in extending the longevity of your Dreamcast is a very smart move. I own and keep buying multiple systems, in part because I love the Dreamcast and actually put them to use, but also because I want backups in case something happens to my existing DC's. I too am planning on picking up some of these fans. If you do get one sYk0, let me know if it does a good job of circulating air.

One other thing I want to point out, is that keeping your DC on a flat hard surface helps.

By putting it on cardboard or the carpet you run the risk of bottling in heat allowing the system to warm up.

There are little grates and slots in the bottom that allow heat to dissipate off the bottom of the DC. By keeping those completly blocked off....muffled if you will....it can cause your DC to really heat up.
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:23 am
quote : #8
I have mine on top of my Dreamcast box, the one it came in.. Is that a risk? The cardboard on it is pretty thin....

Here is a screenshot: http://dreamscape.tty0.org/dc.jpg
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:46 am
quote : #9
funny i do the same thing with my dc i usually put something like a magazine or a vhs case on top of the dc i never put them on a carpet,i do the same thing with my Xbox and play it for hours and i dont even sense any heat from it when i turn off the Xbox.but everytime i do that with dc i noticed the system gets pretty hot.

beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:12 am
quote : #10
So.. is mine a risk where it is at?
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:57 pm
quote : #11
sYk0 wrote:
So.. is mine a risk where it is at?

I would advise moving it off the top of the box to a solid surface. Keeping the console on the cardboard box will inhibit the cooling system, increase the risk of falling, and also increase the amount of vibration transmitted through the DC, which could affect the lifespan of the GD-ROM laser.

Personally, I have a primary Dreamcast and two backups, and I try not to take chances with them. I keep them on a solid surface in my entertainment unit, leaving ample space on all sides for airflow. I also have the external fan and use it for additional system cooling. I used to have a bit of trouble with overheating during the summer months, but since I've added the fan, my Dreamcast hasn't had any trouble at all and runs considerably cooler. This also resulted in improved loading times, because it would have difficulty reading as the Dreamcast got warm from prolonged use. The fan works great and will undoubtedly extend the life of the console.

Another thing I use, which I haven't seen people really mention before, is controller extension cords. The original cords are around 6 feet long or so, but by doubling that with an extension cord, the risk of yanking the console of the table is greatly reduced. I have accidentally tugged on the extension cord before, and instead of the console being jerked, the cord simply unplugged from the controller.

If you don't have them already, I would highly recommend picking up a set of controller extensions as well. They can be typically found on Ebay for around $1 or so.

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:16 pm
quote : #12
speaking of fans for the dc (this one hasnt got the same packaging but its 100% similar to mine) my one when i opened it up had 2 screws which hold the fan device to the casing that faces onto the machine missing, and the ac adaptor hole is a crap heap as well, i just had to glue the whole thing back on to the case cos the bits the screws that hold it down screw into snapped sometime ages ago and its been loose in the whole for ages i just glued it back on. so dont pay more than about £10-15 for it as its not very good quality. as it is i only spent $8 or so on mine from playasia and about $3 on shipping so it worked out to less than £7 for me which is a bargain even if it is pretty flimsy.
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:36 pm
quote : #13
How is it pretty flimsy? Man I just payed $20 including shipping for it.
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:12 pm
quote : #14
well i described all the problems i've had with it, it just isnt made teeeeeeribly well but it works ok, could've simply been my one was missing 2 screws as a result of age, maybe they fell out!!! i dunno its just not a very durable piece of gear you have to be careful with it. or at least mine you do.
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:18 pm
quote : #15
Thanks for informing me.. I appreciate it.. I hope mine doesn't end up like that, because I bought it.. Thanks for all of your replies guys.. I appreciate it..

Cheers,
sYk0