Topic: Newbie seeks advice...

Page 1 of 1
BoilingPoint
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:52 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi peeps, just today bought my first DC, well I say my it's intended as an xmas pressie for my 4 year old son (but as an avid Xbox user, I'll no doubt play it lots n'all).

Just thought I'd say hi to you guys. I picked up a used DC with VMU, Controller and Monaco Racer for £25.00

To say I'm suprised is an understatement, people have told me that the console was superior to the PS2, but I had my doubts, but the second you switch it on it oozes quality, with a snazzy front end and well built/designed hardware.

I did briefly own a PS2, way back when they first came out and was utterly dissappointed and underwhelmed by it, if I'd only bought a DC at the time.......

Well I hope my son gets lots of use out of the DC (I'm sure with my encouragement he will).

So Xmas is almost upon us and I need some help. The DC would appear to be lacking in games for the younger generation, any advice would be great. I just want fairly simple games for my son at the moment until he gets used to using the pad, any recommendations ?

Thanks...

MK
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:12 pm
quote : #2
Super Magnetic Neo is a great game with a kiddy look and gameplay based on matching colours/unmatching colours. Specifically, red and blue. I like it, you might like it, and I'm sure your lil' one will like it.

The Sonic games are good.
Posted:
Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:14 pm
quote : #3
Thanks, sounds like a winner I'll keep an eye out for that one Wink

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:34 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well here are some games I recommend. I don't know how well a 4 year old would get into them since i am not a parent, and currently am not around younger children enough these days to know what their capabilities are. But here are a few games I highly recommend. And I'm not just recommending these games because of their light and colorful look. These are 2 of my favorite games of ALL time. And anyone can play them. (i'm 24)

Rayman 2
This game is one of the best platformers of all time. It's environments have this very painterly look. Awsome gameplay, amazing voice acting, and really unique characters.

Ooga Booga
If your looking for an AWSOME multiplayer game that's very easy to play, check out this game! This is one of my personal favorite dreamcast games of all time. And it's something you could play with him. Boar polo rules! Riding around on a boar trying to push a giant rock through each goal. It supports up to 4 people in multiplayer.

I'm pretty sure Rayman 2 was released in europe. Ooga Booga was a US only release so you might have to import that. But booting an imported game is very very easy on the DC. Can use a simple boot disc. Which there are a variety of options for. (from the looks of your post, and using pounds, i'm assuming your in europe, sorry if i am mistaken)

-

On a side note: Congrats on acquiring a Dreamcast! The Dreamcast is truly a unique game system. Here is a bit of extra info on it which you might not have known. The Dreamcast is arcade hardware. One of Sega's arcade hardware platforms is called the Naomi(which went on to have multiple sequals...but the original was the most widely used). The Dreamcast is a Naomi with half the RAM. It supports full screen antialiasing which is why the DC doesn't show any jaggies. So the DC is basically an arcade machine in your home. Most of the Dreamcast's first party lineup are all games which originated in the arcades. The system is also very import friendly.

The machine is timeless.
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:02 am
quote : #5
also games like pen pen and loony tunes space race are good for kids, and wacky races. these are all available in the uk as i take it judging by how much you said you spent on your dc your in the uk like me. you should definately get soul calibur just to show you what the dc can do.
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:42 am
quote : #6
Yup I'm from the UK guys, sorry for not mentioning that.

Thanks for all your advice thusfar... Laughing

UniqueTwitch
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:58 pm
quote : #7
ChuChu Rocket could also be a good game for a kid, although a bit difficult. If you get it, and once he gets the hang of it, I'm sure that he will enjoy it. Smile
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:32 am
quote : #8
Type: Pal
Demolition racer no exit may be good. Kids always get on with these kinda games when winning isnt the only point.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:37 am
quote : #9
floigan brothers is a nice funny puzzle game where you control the little one of the 2 and have to use your big little brother (as in hes his little brother but is huge!) to get things that unlock things such as getting over fences for keys or up on ledges and stuff, and its very funny. its not really adult humour but kids would like it and adults should appreciate its humour, i know i do.
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:07 am
quote : #10
@ Boilingpoint

Congratulations on buying the best games machine £25 can buy! You won't be disapointed.

My advice for a simple game would be virtua tennis, the game is a masterpiece 'cos it's got the type of gameplay that you can just pick up and play so would suit your son most probably. It would also be good for you as it has a lot of hidden depth and skill to it.