1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
OK! So I had a epiphony(sp?) the other night. A revelation if you will. Ok so Outtrigger is, as we all know it.....offline. Also the game is NOT system link compatible with the DC vs cable. Ok now I also just realised this idea works for any game. But i was mainly thinking of it in terms of outtrigger. Ok so, here is the deal.

You'd need the following:

1 Dreamcast console
2 sets of mouse+kb (or 2 controllers)
2 PC monitors
1 KVM splitter
1 Dreamcast VGA box
cardboard

Ok can you see where I am going with this? Oh yes, I am that damn crazy. But hey I'm hardcore about it. So yea if your already guessing what I am thinking, your right. If not, let me indulge you.

Basically you take a single dreamcast and route it out to a KVM splitter. Which would show the SAME visual vga display on 2 monitors. You then block off your opponents part of the splitscreen with some cardboard.

You would now have a pseudo networked multiplayer enironment. It would be exactly the same as system link, only you'd have just have, half the screen. And the thing is, this is really really really feasible. All you would need is the readily available equipment. A buddy would prolly have a spare monitor if you don't have one, and then most people prolly already own mouse and keyboards and a VGA adaptor. So the major purchase would just be to order a KVM splitter.

I know some of you might think this is a bit wacky. But I think it's a novel way to playing Outtrigger in a pure multiplayer environment again! Razz

I have all the necessary components. I just need to buy a KVM splitter Razz
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:55 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
Hmm, this seems like a really awesome idea Nikon. The only problem is all the KVM splitters I saw were expensive Sad

Time to look at ebay Very Happy
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:33 pm
quote : #3
what is a KVM splitter, otherwise I like the idea! Very Happy
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:45 pm
quote : #4
Chile wrote:
what is a KVM splitter, otherwise I like the idea! Very Happy

A KVM Splitter would take the video output from the DC and split it to 2 monitors. So imagine you have your Dreamcast connected to a VGA box....and your viewing it. Now imagine a second monitor...showing the exact identical thing your seeing.

So what you can do then, is take cardboard, or something similar and block off your opponents part of the screen. So your playing splitscreen but one person would be blocking off the top box, and the other would be blocking off the lower box.

Get it?
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:47 pm
quote : #5
ah, yes. I see your purpose. Are there any KVM Splitters long enough to have the other monitor in another room, or say wirelessly?
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:53 pm
quote : #6
Chile wrote:
ah, yes. I see your purpose. Are there any KVM Splitters long enough to have the other monitor in another room, or say wirelessly?

No I don't think thats possible. It could be possible...maybe. I don't know if the technology is available for that at the moment and if it is, it's probobly rather expensive. PC monitors are much more movable than lets say, TV's. So prolly gonna have to move your monitor closer to the other one.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:53 pm
quote : #7
interesting, but far too expensive & cumbersome for the average gamer. But for hardcore OT players, this will be as good as it gets.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:02 pm
quote : #8
Morph wrote:
interesting, but far too expensive & cumbersome for the average gamer. But for hardcore OT players, this will be as good as it gets.

I don't think it's considered "far" to expensive. It might be expensive for someone who has no other friends seriously into gaming, and you don't have a spare PC monitor. But in all honesty, this is easier than setting up a Halo LAN. Assuming you already have a Dreamcast, and a PC monitor. All you would need is a KVM switch and a DC vga box. A friend could bring over his monitor. It's easier than bringing over an entire extra TV set xbox/ps2 and gear.

Will it cost a little money to setup? Yes it will. But I wouldn't call it far too expensive. For a younger person with no job and in school still, then yes I can see how it might be something too costly. But anyone with any semblance of income, this is chump change.

It might be out of many younger gamer's immediate price range but the overall cost and materials needed is actually rather convenient. It's cheaper than setting up a Q3 dreamcast lan with BBA's.
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:21 pm
quote : #9
oh, ok I get you nikon. I'll think about that for my next purchase. I have about $350 rihgt now Very Happy
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:21 pm
quote : #10
Chile wrote:
oh, ok I get you nikon. I'll think about that for my next purchase. I have about $350 rihgt now Very Happy

Yea but it all depends if you have friends that would come over to actually play against you regularly hehe :]
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:26 pm
quote : #11
most likely not, me and my friends play halo 2 Lan, not outtrigger, but whateva Smile
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:32 pm
quote : #12
Chile wrote:
most likely not, me and my friends play halo 2 Lan, not outtrigger, but whateva Smile

Oh well maybe if you do set it up you might get them liking some OT :]
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:43 pm
quote : #13
I haven't gotten them to truly appreciate the dc yet sadly though. However, they do enjoy UT, Worms Armageddon, and Sega Marine Fsihing. And they laugh their ass off at Seaman. One friend has a dc, I'll lend him UT tonight to see if he likes it.
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:38 pm
quote : #14
For those without a budget, VGA box and PC monitors, could the same effect be accomplished with either a composite video (or s video) splitter and two tv sets?

How are my little crackers doing today?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:02 pm
quote : #15
kingofgrills wrote:
For those without a budget, VGA box and PC monitors, could the same effect be accomplished with either a composite video (or s video) splitter and two tv sets?

Yes it could, I have never tried composite or s-video splitters. But if they work well, then yes the same theory applies. In a lot of ways. This works for almost any splitscreen multiplayer game you can think of really. As long as you have a way to split it off to 2 video displays, and have some spare cardboard, then your good to go :]