Topic: finding oc players on quake

Page 1 of 3
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
hey guys, i try to play online with quake 3 arena but am hardly ever able to find people i am looking for, kizzy did not leave a specific ip address for the game so i couldnt find him, i played for a bit with grub and got freaky but they were using mods which im not at all keen on. is there a way of setting up games for oc members that can stop non oc members from joining? or a way of finding players online? i want to play this online as much as pos but will not play with mods and cheats in games, its just an unfair advantage, lord, u said you'd been playing recently. do you know how to successfully arrange a game where people can find each other and have no problems locating the game in question?
Posted:
Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:46 pm
quote : #2
I go by 2 player names on that game, [UKR]vintendo and vintendo. Im Usually on everyday and my server is called 97X Tampa Bay. Hope to see you on Very Happy

polandDC
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:48 pm
quote : #3
oh man... i guess that meet with
any OC member is almost impossible.
too many players not from OC.
mabe better make forum and first
talk about time and day of fragggsss
Posted:
Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:52 pm
quote : #4
thats the problem, its hard to make a game without people you dont know coming in, and you cant really kick em out (maybe you can? dont know) when making a game the person setting it up needs to specify the ip address and his/her quake on screen name so as we know who to look for, im only gonna use my ultrapro character online.
Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:27 am
quote : #5
the reason you cant find any1 from the OC on Quake, ultrapro, is because almost no 1 from the OC plays Quake. i would LOVE to see some people from here playin on Quake, but man they dont. i can name every player who plays Quake on a regular basis. alot of people on here say they play, but hey im on every night (go ahead and check youll see me) and i never see them. i ran into vintendo a couple times a while back, ive played with andyspof once and ive played with that guy he has the 2nd most posts on the site (lol sorry dude i cant remember your name Razz) one time as well. all the Quake 3 regulars (except me) are not members of the OC Sad it would be cool to see you on sometime ultrapro... my suggestion is to not even bother with people from this site cuz even if they say theyll play they wont. just go on quake and introduce yourself to the players on there, youll find some pretty cool people Cool
Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:25 am
quote : #6
evilpinky you have written at up
that you love play with OC gamers
so tell me why when im coming to your server im kicking :winky:
Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:22 am
quote : #7
just trying to put my 2 cents here folks,you cant really blame these people for not playing quake 3 arena or any other online games for dc thats still operational.i my self used to play this everynight as much as i could and stopped playing this game for a few reasons one its hard to find oc members which is kinda true unless you made youreself a list of people here that has the game on your own.second everytime i play the game i always bump into problems where the game just stop saying connection interrupted Evil or Very Mad which is another way to put an angry face on some people playing this game.and of course another reason for this also is that people have lives,jobs,school,family, etc..to take care other than playing this game on dc.plus the same people also has other systems that they could play online or offline from Xbox-Ps2-Gamecube and dont get me started on the games for these 3 systems.all im saying here is that theres just too many distractions for these people to even play this game online.but then again i remember seeing a list of legit pso players here somewhere but i didnt see one specifically for quake 3 arena maybe one day well see one pray Cool

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:33 am
quote : #8
i know who has the game, all you have to do is go to the pdb in the game list and you'll see who has it or not, im not bothered about bumping into oc members at random because i know that most of them probably dont play it anymore, i meant that when we arrange a game like we did the other day it would be nice to actually find the game in question and the people playing should give a list of their character names so we know who to look for. i know how to look at whos in each game but if i dont know what name im looking for then im screwed. i saw grubansau and recognised that name but he was playing with mods and shit and he was playing ctf which i dont get along to well with so i left after 10-15 mins, kizzy as it is was late anyway, he didnt get on there till after 10 or so. what im basically trying to say is that i want to know whos gonna show up for a game and what name to look for if im going to arrange a game myself, not that i know how to make a game on there anymore, i simply no how to join them. see my point now? i know no ones gonna be on there if i were to pop on at random its just if we schedule a game it should be made easy to actually meet and play.
Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:45 am
quote : #9
how can you even tell the signs that the people on the game are playing it with mods and cheat codes anyway for quake 3 arena any hints Question

thanks

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:01 am
quote : #10
well you can only tell when you join the game, your inventory will have black boxes with white outlines and when you use them they give you stuff like super speed or flight or wierd hacks i dont know the name of or how to use, its just stupid, and your health will be like 999 and you'll not be able to see your opponents and shit, its very pointless, and annoying.
Posted:
Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:33 am
quote : #11
Type: NTSC-U/C
ultrapro wrote:
is there a way of setting up games for oc members that can stop non oc members from joining? or a way of finding players online?

Yes there is a way to set it up so only certain people can play. By passwording the server, and using a special command in the command console to log into the server. You or someone you know would have to set up a dedicated server in order to take advantage of this.

ultrapro wrote:
i want to play this online as much as pos but will not play with mods and cheats in games, its just an unfair advantage, lord, u said you'd been playing recently. do you know how to successfully arrange a game where people can find each other and have no problems locating the game in question?

Yea, the solution to this is to put up more dedicated servers. I'm trying my best to get some up soon. I know I have been saying this forever but, just taking time for me to get to it. I do know how to successfully arrange a game. It takes informing people, communication, organization, and more dedicated servers in the list. Even having a friend setup a private server for a specific event.

polandDC wrote:
oh man... i guess that meet with
any OC member is almost impossible.
too many players not from OC.
mabe better make forum and first
talk about time and day of fragggsss

yea... its impossible... better make another forum... :/

3vilpinky wrote:
the reason you cant find any1 from the OC on Quake, ultrapro, is because almost no 1 from the OC plays Quake. i would LOVE to see some people from here playin on Quake, but man they dont. i can name every player who plays Quake on a regular basis. alot of people on here say they play, but hey im on every night (go ahead and check youll see me) and i never see them. i ran into vintendo a couple times a while back, ive played with andyspof once and ive played with that guy he has the 2nd most posts on the site (lol sorry dude i cant remember your name Razz) one time as well. all the Quake 3 regulars (except me) are not members of the OC Sad it would be cool to see you on sometime ultrapro... my suggestion is to not even bother with people from this site cuz even if they say theyll play they wont. just go on quake and introduce yourself to the players on there, youll find some pretty cool people Cool

Actually I think your misunderstanding the situation. First of all there are a lot of dedicated servers up, but many of them are modded servers. A lot of people here just want to play on vanilla Q3 servers. I think it's even more apparent that people would play more, if they KNEW someone was going to be online and they could hop right on and join in. Specially if they knew their friends were on.

The largest factor to why people arn't online more is because of the HUGE isp drought that has recently taken place. There are no free isp's man. There are some but they are unstable, and are dropping like flies. As soon as that Junotest account died, thats when all hell broke loose. For a lot of people they can't even get online anymore. Most people have DSL and don't have an ISP account they can use to get online. Some people have their own dialup ISP's they pay for....however this is a small number.

The people to the largest dissadvantage are those in europe. Dialup is more expensive there, and not as easy to acquire as it is in the US. Most people have a modem, a dreamcast, and broadband, so its rather hard for them to get onto the internet to play Q3 from their dreamcast.

ultrapro wrote:
well you can only tell when you join the game, your inventory will have black boxes with white outlines and when you use them they give you stuff like super speed or flight or wierd hacks i dont know the name of or how to use, its just stupid, and your health will be like 999 and you'll not be able to see your opponents and shit, its very pointless, and annoying.

Well, yea these are modded servers and a lot of times they arn't even intended for Dreamcast users to play on. Sometimes they are specifically intended for PC users using the DC map pack to have a game server to play on. Some of the mods don't translate 100% to the DC. Atleast many have come off as glitchy to me. Gotta remember these are other gamers personal servers they can do whatever they want with them. The only thing we can do is help to populate the list with more servers that other people would like to play on.

ultrapro wrote:
i know who has the game, all you have to do is go to the pdb in the game list and you'll see who has it or not, im not bothered about bumping into oc members at random because i know that most of them probably dont play it anymore, i meant that when we arrange a game like we did the other day it would be nice to actually find the game in question and the people playing should give a list of their character names so we know who to look for. i know how to look at whos in each game but if i dont know what name im looking for then im screwed. i saw grubansau and recognised that name but he was playing with mods and shit and he was playing ctf which i dont get along to well with so i left after 10-15 mins, kizzy as it is was late anyway, he didnt get on there till after 10 or so. what im basically trying to say is that i want to know whos gonna show up for a game and what name to look for if im going to arrange a game myself, not that i know how to make a game on there anymore, i simply no how to join them. see my point now? i know no ones gonna be on there if i were to pop on at random its just if we schedule a game it should be made easy to actually meet and play.

...and this is many of the things I am trying daily to solve.

-

I'd just like to tell people that I am activly working on solving most if not all of these issues. These are problems we have to all overcome. Things such as:

getting online easily
coordinating an event
running private games
and finding more people online at random

The average user just won't be able to solve any of these problems on their own. Which is why it takes the tireless efforts of myself and others like frokid, sgrande, clan got, and lately fallout, to help Quake 3 Arena to not only stay afloat but also grow and expand. It's a continual process. That involves a lot of work and man hours in order to fix inherant problems in playing the game online. I am planning on setting up a stack of dedicated servers for Quake 3 Arena with both public and PRIVATE servers. More information will be put up on how to query servers from your computer. Also I am planning on writing a script to view the master list of servers from OC itself. Also myself, frokid and others are working on getting a DEFINATIVE modem and OS working for PC > DC connection to route a Dreamcast modem over broadband. I am even planning on contacting major Quake websites to get some of the word out once we get all of this stuff figured out, and we have gotten Q3 fully back on it's feet.

Yes there are problems and reasons why people arn't playing Q3 online as much as they should. However its going to take time and the tireless efforts of many people in order to fix all of this.

Let me tell you, and read my words....

Quake 3 Arena will be built up stronger than it has ever been before. It is my goal and personal mission to build up DC Q3 to be better and bigger than it was when it first launched on Sega Net.
Posted:
Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:03 am
quote : #12
sounds great, when i asked those questions i wasnt pointing the finger, i didnt know you were personally working on q3, i was going to go online with q3 last night but i got so caught up in re aranging my room that i spent most of the night doing it. i look forward to hearing more about the oc servers. i was under the impression that there was a list of servers for dc on this site somewhere but i cant find it for the life of me. how do i make my own game once i join a server or can i only join games? and if i can make my own game how do i password it??
Posted:
Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:48 am
quote : #13
u cant make ur own game,
u gotta make the server from the PC, and play from the DC

Adam.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:49 pm
quote : #14
Type: NTSC-U/C
ultrapro wrote:
sounds great, when i asked those questions i wasnt pointing the finger, i didnt know you were personally working on q3, i was going to go online with q3 last night but i got so caught up in re aranging my room that i spent most of the night doing it. i look forward to hearing more about the oc servers. i was under the impression that there was a list of servers for dc on this site somewhere but i cant find it for the life of me. how do i make my own game once i join a server or can i only join games? and if i can make my own game how do i password it??

[UKR]Adam1902 wrote:
u cant make ur own game,
u gotta make the server from the PC, and play from the DC

Adam.

Yea like UKR-Adam says, you can't host a Q3A game from the Dreamcast. A dedicated server is required in order to host a game.
Posted:
Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:44 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
I'd just like to tell people that I am activly working on solving most if not all of these issues. These are problems we have to all overcome. Things such as:

getting online easily
coordinating an event
running private games
and finding more people online at random

The average user just won't be able to solve any of these problems on their own. Which is why it takes the tireless efforts of myself and others like frokid, sgrande, clan got, and lately fallout, to help Quake 3 Arena to not only stay afloat but also grow and expand. It's a continual process. That involves a lot of work and man hours in order to fix inherant problems in playing the game online. I am planning on setting up a stack of dedicated servers for Quake 3 Arena with both public and PRIVATE servers. More information will be put up on how to query servers from your computer. Also I am planning on writing a script to view the master list of servers from OC itself. Also myself, frokid and others are working on getting a DEFINATIVE modem and OS working for PC > DC connection to route a Dreamcast modem over broadband. I am even planning on contacting major Quake websites to get some of the word out once we get all of this stuff figured out, and we have gotten Q3 fully back on it's feet.

Yes there are problems and reasons why people arn't playing Q3 online as much as they should. However its going to take time and the tireless efforts of many people in order to fix all of this.

Let me tell you, and read my words....

Quake 3 Arena will be built up stronger than it has ever been before. It is my goal and personal mission to build up DC Q3 to be better and bigger than it was when it first launched on Sega Net.

heh, nikon ive seen this same thing from lots of other people. i myself even said that i was gonna bring quake back to its good ol days. there is NO ONE more commited to doing this than me. every1 on quake just made fun of me for saying that quake was gonna be back like it used to be. i quickly realized that i should have just listened to them.

read my words-
Quake will never be brought back better than it was in the seganet days nor will it be back AS good as the seganet days.

nikon i wish you the best in your efforts man and hope you can actually accomplish some good. ive tried this b4 and so have others. maybe youll think of something we didnt. i am definately here to help in any way i can. i also believe that i can help you more than any1 else as i have done all of this b4 and i know that nobody wants quake back more than me. so just remember me Smile

one last thing... you say that you, frokid, sgrande, gotclan and fallout have been working on this? hmm...
Lordnikon - only ever seen you on quake 1 time.
Frokid - never seen him (and i think hes pc anyway, correct me if im wrong)
Sgrande - now this guy actually HAS done something to help the Q3 DC community THANKS AGAIN FOR THE AWESOME SERVERS!
Gotclan - all they do is run modded servers... and theyre all PC... and only Got-Rice? even plays on dc servers.
Fallout - a pc player who rarely stops by dc servers.

hmm... thats all ill say...