Topic: Icons: Dreamcast

Page 1 of 3
Koda
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:21 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Tonight g4techtv will be airing icons: sega dreamcast. this was taken from their site

"We explore the rocky history of Sega's last venture into the console market. Hear from Sega insiders Bernard Stolar and Kathy Schoback about the Dreamcast's last days of life and how Sega made the leap from console maker to one of the top software publishers of today."

just letting u guys know if u r interested in watching Mr. Green

oh here's the time 11:30pm ET / 8:30pm PT
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:28 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Incase any of you missed it, they had a poll:

Quote:

Of the following, which Dreamcast game is the weirdest?

- Samba de Amigo
- Seaman
- Chu Chu Rocket
- Mr. Driller
- The Typing of the Dead

Here are the results.

This was aired a long time ago, but still well worth another viewing. I was thinking a little while about contacting them and seeing if they would be interested in doing a follow up on the Dreamcast and where it stands today.

Dreamcast ™

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:15 am
quote : #3
ya, I remember that. Before a commerical break they said "Coming up, we take a look at where dreamcasts are today!" Then when they came back they showed DC's in peoples closets or being used as door stoppers.

I looked over at my dconline setup with my emulators and began to pound my head into the tv...

ya......screw you g4techtv!

Kingbuzzo.
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:43 am
quote : #4
Yea, I myself have come to the realisation of the dark dark truth. Nobody will understand. Nobody. The mainstream is set on looking at the Dreamcast as this huge commercial letdown and fail to truly see what the system was, and still is capable of. A lot of people I know think the Dreamcast was designed to compete with the PS1, and don't even think of the DC as CURRENT generation hardware. I show them some games, and they are simply baffled at the graphics. I'm sure many other people here have had this happen as well. The stereotyping is so bad, that when you actually show them the Dreamcast and it's games, their eye's light up as if their witnessing a ressurection. Puzzled yet amazed at the same time.

I tell people that I play online games still for the Dreamcast, and they call me crazy.

People just don't get it. The mainstream never will. Feel fortunate that you realise what the dreamcast is, and use that to your advantage. I go to some store and buy yet another dreamcast for 19.99.

I walk out thinkin, my god, I just bought an internet ready Naomi Arcade machine...for 20 dollers.....

It just makes me laugh.

The majority of people out there will continue to stereotype against the Dreamcast for the coming years. However over time the Dreamcast's legacy will grow into something huge. It's already started in a way. Do you guys know of any system ever that still has a birthday? The Dreamcast's US launch date 9.9.99, this past year was posted all over across the net, with people saying, "happy birthday dreamcast".

The Dreamcast is on the path to become just as infamous as the Neo-Geo, if not more.
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:45 am
quote : #5
I know exactly what you mean Nikon. It is too easy to wow someone with the dreamcast. Poor fools think Soul Calibur was the system's only good looking game. But even though you can wow your friends, they still seem to opt for ps2 instead. My friend Brent was here. He had a ps2 and a small collection and it all got stolen. I had him here and he was having a blast on shenmue, yet as he was playing he was talking about how he's trying to save up for a ps2 again.....$150. And here we are, playing a $20 system that looks just as good...It just doesn't sink into his brain.

Consoles have become status symbols more then they are fun-machines. I'm so tired of people not thinking freely. They let the companies choose for them.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:49 am
quote : #6
i feel the same way all the time, i walk into gamestation in watford and i get such evil or humiliating looks from the guys who work there or the people shopping in there when i go straight for the decrepid dreamcast shelve, like im some kind of nutter who obviously has some thing wrong with them to want to look at the one section no one else ever looks at. i hate that people go with the crowd and buy like sheep thankfully not everyone but a huge majority. i have managed to prove to a few people that it is worth so much more than their resent and misunderstanding but the majority just thnk im nuts. i wish i could just grab a group of gamers and take them somewhere like a big theatre room with a projection screen where i can show them finally how unforgettable the dreamcast really is. i converted (bad choice of words) a total of 3 people in the past 6 years to the enlightened path of the dreamcast. not good but its a start. anyway i just hope its support gets biger and better until eventually everyone will say whats this dreamcast i keep hearing about?! my 2 cents
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #7
I agree wholeheartedly with everything that's been said.

It's so funny that we have such an incredible internet ready machine that most people would just shrug off without a second glance. I've gotten to the point where I've stopped trying to convince people to give the Dreamcast a whirl. If those casual gamers cannot see the logic and benefit of playing the Dreamcast, it's their loss! That leaves more for those of us who know better.

I love encountering a game store clerk who knows what the Dreamcast is all about. The clerk's head start nodding knowingly when you ask for it. "Oh, you're looking for Dreamcast stuff. Well we don't have much but we keep the stash over here. Man, Soul Calibur and Power Stone are the greatest fighting games EVER. I loved my Dreamcast!"

It's so underground.

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:45 pm
quote : #8
i agree, its really nice finding someone who looks at you with a knowing smile on their face. like when i used to buy stuff from game before they stopped stocking dc stuff they used to say "its a shame the dc isnt doing so well, it was an incredible little console, i still play mine" or if i meet someone whos open to it, sees me buying a game for it and says "i remember that machine, i was gonna get one but everyone said it was crap and that it was dead anyway" then i'd be like "well its still got over half a dozen games online most will be online for good and the system still has games being released on it, not to mention the games already available" its only happened a couple times but some people i talk to about it are quite gobsmacked when i tell them about its many attributes and dont believe me when i say pso is still online "nah your lying that game went offline years ago!!" i just smile and say "ooooh how wrong you are my son" or words to that effect. its nice to meet a shop owner who knows what im getting and says, "aaah this is a classic, i used to play it all the time on my dreamcast" and "i'm glad people still buy games for it, it was a brilliant machine, way ahead of its time" it makes me feel better. but your right it is totally underground. its cool tho, its like this big secret that no one wants to know about and so only an elite few know the truth, kinda like the xfiles only worldwide or something!!
Posted:
Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:48 pm
quote : #9
I think the absolute best way to describe the dreamcast would be to call it the ideal arcade console. It overflows with fantastic "instant-fun" titles. Games you can pop in and immediately enjoy for quick spurts. If you're a gamer who insists on a level of commitment, you might be dissapointed, like RPGs. Although Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 are 2 of the top 5 RPG's of all time.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:40 pm
quote : #10
dont forget record of lodoss war, thats a good rpg very similar to baldurs gate if you ask me. the dc is my baby, i just spent 2 hours playing thru pso again as my new guy, had to make one cos i had to change dc's and codes. im gonna play alone in the dark the new nightmare again cos it scares that shit outta me and the graphics are incredible. i love the bits where your in a dark room and suddenly lightning flashes light up the room for a split second illuminating hidden horrors creeping up behind you, then when you turn round their gone, the torch is frickin awesome in that game. oh and theres a feature film been made of the game coming out in the next few months, it sounds like they've stuck close to the story of the new nightmare. also egg is a wonderful little rpg, very beautiful, some people say silvers pretty good but i dont really like it and timestalkers isnt tooo bad i think. the dc has hundreds of games. a mixture of awesome milestones and quick thril fun games. i love it.
Posted:
Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:27 pm
quote : #11
Yeah but even though Skies and Grandia are the 2 most well known dc rpg's, they are the 2 best. At least from what I've played. I need to give Lodoss a second chance one of these days. I stayed over at a friend's house, and his little brother played my Lodoss for about 12 hours. He's insane.

Silver is a quality rpg so far. I put in an hour to just get the idea of it. Good voice acting, high rez backgrounds, simple but fresh combat for a hack and slash. Music is typical but good.

EGG I still havent tried. I may buy it for $5. Had interesting art design from the pictures.

Timestalkers I havent tried either. Couldn't find a selfboot of either of these games, and selfboot tutorials never work for me, so I'll just buy it for cheap.

I also downloaded both Evolution games. They dont seem so bad. Might be worth playing.

But yeah, Skies and Grandia 2 are just RPG perfection. They don't screw around. They don't pretend to be something they aren't. They are PURE, plain and simple. They pull off the purpose of the RPG, to take you to a faraway land. Most RPG's have that land, but they put you in an insanely uncomfortable "vehicle" to get there, and you just lose interest. Skies and Grandia 2 take you there on a golden chariot, with plenty of leg room, and a string cheese dispenser.

beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:44 am
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U
It kind of makes me sad that games aren't as widely available as they used to be, but I also like the underground feel of the community, it's not like the Xbox community where you just get people coming and going, you know that the people that are here in the Dreamcast community are truely devoted to the system. I even got a pawn shop to break out their Dreamcast stock that they had in the back room, he led me to the back and showed me all of this great stuff, I bought a couple of games, but was very sad to see that the next week, they pitched it, what a shame. I will continue to support the DC till I cannot get new ones. My Christmas gift to my best friend was a Dreamcast, and he actually sold his xbox and games for DC stuffs.
Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:37 am
quote : #13
I bring forth one question...

What does the Dreamcast not have?

Seriously. Most other consoles on the market(and lets not get into which ones, we don't want a flame war), but most other consoles have a weak spot. They have areas in their game lineups that are lacking in specific genres or peripheral features. I can't seem to think of a genre or peripheral that the dreamcast doesn't have.
------------------------------------------------
It has online, broadband and dialup...
It has system link...
It has email / web browsing...
It has easy import booting...
It has homebrew software communities...
It has mouse and keyboard support...
It has PC ports, UT, Q3, HL, StarLancer, 4x4evo etc etc...
It has quality RPG's...
It has sports games...
It has party games...
It has action adventure games / platformers...
It has racing games...
It has arcade games...
-shmups
-arcade racing
-fighters
-puzzle
-light gun games
-and more
It has tons of first party titles...
It has peripherals...
-samba maracas
-ddr pads
-mission stick
-arcade sticks
-panther controller
-steering wheels
-fishing controller
-light guns
It has microphone support...
It has 4 player support...
------------------------------------------------
I really can't think of something that the Dreamcast does not have. Each of the genres listed above I'm not listing just to get them listed. There isn't just some crap adventure game, so I can use that as a feature. In each of the catagories the Dreamcast has atleast a few AAA first rate titles. The DC has something for everyone.

The Dreamcast really is what it says on the US box...

THE ULTIMATE GAMING SYSTEM
Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:59 am
quote : #14
Type: NTSC-U
Word to that Nikon, I agree, best system ever, and it's my main gaming system.
Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:24 pm
quote : #15
you damn skippy!! cant wait to finish shenmue and get back on record of lodoss war. as nikon says theres not one thing the dc cant do. it does everything and it does everything brilliantly. i like my xbox but the community and everything about it feels second hand, but then thats because it was all made possible solely by dreamcast. i just bought headhunter 2 redemption and while it plays ok looks ok and sounds alright, it just cant touch the original game. the dreamcast is where it all began and where it should end. sequels invariably are shit when made simply to make money. you dont see games like samba de amigo being made cos they thought it would rake in the dollars right??