Topic: Unreal tournament

Page 1 of 2
HoLy MaN
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
how come nobody talks about this game what was the online like the screen shots i saw were awsome

Impulse921
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:24 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The Online portion was awesome in my opinion. Except you had to choose from a list of games to join, you couldnt make your own.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm
quote : #3
Yea 8 player server could get pretty crazy. It always helped to have 2 broadband users on there atleast to make things smoother. 8 dialup users would get a little laggy. But yea, UT online was so fucking awsome and there were always people online. For shits and giggles you can boot up the game, and sign online. It will hit the master list. However, there are no servers in the list. They were all taken offline :/ And no we can't make our own, we don't even know what they ran on.
Posted:
Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:40 am
quote : #4
I just got this game today, and it's badass. I've just been having fun running around the levels alone checking them out and learning the abilities of each weapon, but DM and CTF are awesome. It makes me sad that I wasn't into the DC in it's heyday when UT was online. Eight people on that game must have rocked.

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:18 am
quote : #5
Complete Chaos!!! Still loads of fun Twisted Evil
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:02 pm
quote : #6
GODLIKE!

This has got to be one the best FPSs I've ever fragged in. Everything was so perfectly balanced and refined. Too bad lightning didn't strike twice with UT2003 (still a decent game though).

You guys might want to look into the PC version of UT if you'd like to hook up online. It can be found for cheap, and runs on most every computer (I got it to run at high settings on my old POS e-machines).

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:14 am
quote : #7
Yep I have my PC version as well, soon as I get a little more ram I can play against you Mytho.

Funny thing is, even though I have the PC version I still play my DC version quite frequently. Sometimes I just have too much stuff going on to play the PC version, and booting up the DC version is just convenient as all hell. Also, I really think this is a testament to how awsome the DC version is. The fact that, it stands up to the PC version, that it is a worthy alternative during my breaks from working for frags.

In many ways the Dreamcast version has its own "Aura" about it. Does anyone feel this way?

Because of the DC's own unique exclusive maps, and completly re-optimized and remapped character models and textures. The Dreamcast version to me really feels like DC UT. When I play the PC version something is definatly missing. In many ways I think its some of the Dreamcast's more unique smaller maps.

ALSO, guess what? I was chillin playing some UT the other day against bots with....the DC controller of all things. I guess the X'd config isn't that bad. THe config where....the analog stick is used for moving forward and backward, and turning. And then the other face buttons strafe and look up and down. Basically criss-crossed from your usual dual analog setup.

I've found it to be not entirely accurate. But hey it's pretty comfortable. And I guess the reason why right now I slid into it so easily...is because I have been playing Metroid Prime 2 Echoes for the past few months non-stop.

I can use this control scheme for splitscreen play against another controller using human opponent. But I don't think I could use it...for Quake 3 Online for instance. Game is too fast hehe, mouse and kb I would definatly need.

But just wanted to say, was dabbling with that criss-crossed controller config...I think its the default one. Plays pretty good actually.
Posted:
Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:59 am
quote : #8
not trying to start anything here, i would just like to know if there is any1 who, like me, REALLY dislikes this game. ive never seen any1 on this site say they didnt like it... im just asking simply out of curiosity as to whether or not there are ppl on this site like me. most people who are HARDCORE quake fans really really really dont like UT. i wont get into the (many) reasons why i dont like it or anything, just wondering if any1 on this site feels the same about UT as me or not. and if you do like UT then cool! more power to ya. =)
Posted:
Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:09 am
quote : #9
I'm much more accustomed to the Q3/Half-Life style control (face buttons moving your body, analogue stick moving your head), so I couldn't even function without changing the default controls.

I do think that the DC version does have it's own kind of aura though. It's hard to explain, but I think I know what you mean, Nikon. I also think it's pretty awesome that DC UT outperforms the PS2 version on pysically superior hardware.

The only thing I don't like is I do wish the levels were a bit bigger. My favorite DM level in Q3 is the camping grounds, simply because it's so huge.

While we're talking about UT, does anyone know how exactly the Sega.net levels are unlocked? Do you have to download a key file or something to unlock them? My copy was disc-only, no manual, so I can't tell. If you have to download a key file or something, that might be a good thing to host. Either that, or the codebreaker/gameshark code file to unlock them.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:32 am
quote : #10
Einhander wrote:
I'm much more accustomed to the Q3/Half-Life style control (face buttons moving your body, analogue stick moving your head), so I couldn't even function without changing the default controls.

Yea i was just ranting a bit about controls and such since, I am always wrestling with the dc controller and FPS's. I really really want to just sit back with a controller and play. However I cannot play with the method you described since I play all my PS2 FPS's with rightside aiming, left side moving. So to do that on DC and aim with analog is all backwards for me. I could eventually become accustomed to it....however then when I go back to PS2 I am all flipped around lol. Anyways...on to other things...since I have ranted about this a million times already hehe.

Einhander wrote:
I do think that the DC version does have it's own kind of aura though. It's hard to explain, but I think I know what you mean, Nikon. I also think it's pretty awesome that DC UT outperforms the PS2 version on pysically superior hardware.

Yea and that has to do with the developers rather than the hardware. The PS2 version is like a straight port of the PC version. Not only that, but they re-modeled all the chars. Beefing up their poly count. This really doesn't help out the PS2 versions framerate. To it's credit the PS2 version is system link via firewire. Which is it's major asset. The reason the Dreamcast version plays so great is because Secret Level re-did the game specifically for the Dreamcast. It was tailored to the Dreamcast hardware. They had no choice really. Because the Dreamcast only has 16mb of ram available. So they HAD to optimize it. The really sad part is, the PS2 version would have been online however sony never got out the network adaptor kits in time :/ Otherwise it would have been online, and probobly had LAN via the network adaptor too. Such a shame. Firewire is better than nothing, however since sony ripped the port out of newer models, it really makes it hard on people wanting to setup a system link environment. (people like me, still searching for another i.link model)

Einhander wrote:
While we're talking about UT, does anyone know how exactly the Sega.net levels are unlocked? Do you have to download a key file or something to unlock them? My copy was disc-only, no manual, so I can't tell. If you have to download a key file or something, that might be a good thing to host. Either that, or the codebreaker/gameshark code file to unlock them.

Go to Network Mode, then Account 2 (Login: admin@sega.net; Password: tenages), connect/save settings, then go to Practice Mode

Also, if you are lucky enough to own a broadband adaptor. One of the perks is, having a BBA in your DC unlocks the seganet maps by default. Mr. Green
Posted:
Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:45 pm
quote : #11
too bad the game is already offline Sad I started playing DC UT only after the DC died "commercially" but it was awesome. Everyone was still playing it (and for free) and we fragged till early morn.

another game i had great online memeories with are outtrigger, ooga booga and bomberman online...those were really great online games...i also forgot PSO, but the UT/Outtrigger experience was way better for me.

FOXYuk
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:33 am
quote : #12
Once UT died online, i tried quake but just coudnt get into it. Made some cool friends on there but just didnt like the game. Ended up buying an xbox to carry on playing Unreal. Although its totally different on the xbox its still Unreal and im still lovin it. Very Happy
Posted:
Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:28 am
quote : #13
getting new computer in a few weeks and w/ my cable internet hope to get into some ut2004 or '05 if it's out by then. Mr. Green THE REDEEMER
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:02 am
quote : #14
I have great memories of this game. Sniper Wars was the most fun. Until people found out how to auto aim (pressing Down on the D pad). So that screwed it up. But Redeemer Hide n Go seek games were fun Very Happy

xdscast
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:34 pm
quote : #15
SOOOOOooooooooo sad. I want to play me DC games online, screw XBL, it doesnt have the soul of DC. Ill have to find UT because I already have the KB+M that I bought specifically for QIII.