Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
DatBoyScrooge
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just downloaded Soul Calibur onto my hard drive but the filesize is over the limit (772 MB). That's too high for a 700 MB CD. Is this a mistake or are there CD-Rs out there that are larger than 700 MB? If not, what can i do in a situation like this?
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:10 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I expected better from you, Scrooge.

SirSolBadguy
banned!
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:42 am
quote : #3
Just burn the freakin thing.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:13 pm
quote : #4
it might fit, some 730 MB and higher do fit on them some how, don't know how exactly though.
banned!
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:53 pm
quote : #5
80 min discs can be either 700MB or 800MB depending on the iso format. It's really nothing anyone needs to know. Just burn it. It will fit.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:13 pm
quote : #6
SirSolBadguy wrote:
Just burn it. It will fit.

Yep. Just burn it, it will fit.

And then, when your done go out and buy the real thing if you don't already have an SC original.
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:59 pm
quote : #7
I bought Soul Calibur because the pirated one has mono music. That just didn't cut it for me.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:07 am
quote : #8
SirSolBadguy wrote:
I bought Soul Calibur because the pirated one has mono music. That just didn't cut it for me.

Yea thats also a huge reason why backups to me are just exactly what they are "backups". Most of the time people had to either cut down on the audio, duplicate audio tracks, compress it, or sometimes delete the music altogether. My backups of VOOT have no music.
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:03 am
quote : #9
Someone's undoubtedly said this exact same thing before, but, I'll say it anyway.

I'd just like to say that as bad as this may sound, I sort of hope that there are full, true backups--archived digital replications of game discs--safely stored away on the Internet (or some such). With people "resurfacing" GD-ROMs, on top of the usual wear and tear (and the "collectors" that see only money signs when they spot a great, much-sought-after game that is becoming rare), I worry that eventually there will not be any original retail copies of games like Soul Calibur DC left out there.

Sure, maybe we should let the system go when it's gone, but I for one wouldn't mind it if we were always able to play the games, to show them to our kids, and so on. Solid state was great for that; I'll bet that my dad's Commadore 64s and TI-99/4As work just as well today as they did when they were "cutting edge," but I doubt that we'll be able to say the same for today's mostly optical medium-based consoles. Emulation stinks in my opinion, but at least it's a relatively secure last resort.

I would hope that somehow, games could always be loaded through via a "coder's cable" or Broadband Adapter, on an actual Dreamcast (in the event that all of the GD-ROM drives go bad). Perhaps there could even be a GD-ROM drive replacement in the form of some sort of flash memory device, hard-coded for the purpose of loading software via the serial port (or otherwise).

But again, maybe we should all enjoy them now and let them go when they're gone... Maybe that's how it's supposed to be... But, well... maybe I wish that it wasn't! It's just that I don't think that it would be such a bad idea for full backups (not simply or stripped down for the purpose of downloading and "burning") to be stored somewhere. That's all.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:50 pm
quote : #10
I don't think we are supposed to "let the system go..." Personally it is my favorite system and has the games I really want to play. Yea your right, with the Dreamcast there will definatly be a few "Radiant Silverguns". One of which is Border Down, which is already fetching 149.99 at play-asia Sad Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (US), and Project Justice(US), Mars Matrix (US) are getting really rare as well. To get sealed that is. But used copies of Project Justice are even fetching high doller amounts.

Lately I have been buying up games like crazy. Getting them NOW while I have the chance, rather than waiting until later and then having them dissapear on me. This as happened already to me on many websites across the net. Specially for imports. The games are just flat out gone and out of stock.

The best thing is to learn how to make backups of your games. And make them as large and as true as possible. Also to have complete pure backups for emulation use.

Chankast might not run on all machines now, but as processors get faster and faster, it's requirements will start to match everyones system, and games will run at full speed for the most part, and I'm sure you'll see another emulator pop up eventually. Although it is NO alternative to the real thing, it is nice to have in case some crazy calamity where all dreamcasts on the planet like....die out at once or something(lolol that would be wierd).

I have been working really hard in preserving my dreamcast experience. I am working so hard right now because prices are good, and I would rather get things for a decent price now than pay out the ass down the road. I own 5 dreamcasts including 1 barely used model, and a boxed brand new DC. I am going to be buying 5 more boxed dreamcasts lol. I currently own 50 original dreamcast games, most of them purchased new. And its growing everyday. My backup collection is 175 games and growing. I'm taking steps to make sure I can enjoy my favorite games as long as I can :] Till I die!
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:02 pm
quote : #11
you know, all i've heard from people about backups is that the quality is not as close to be good as the original Well playing backups, I have noticed no crappiness at all. Just saying.
banned!
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:41 pm
quote : #12
Dude, it doesn't matter if you notice it or not. You're not going to notice it unless you have the original copy of the game playing along side it. Fact is, you are USUALLY getting an inferior gaming experience on a copy, when it comes to dreamcast games. Yes if you dont have a good sound system or a tv running s-video or better, you may not notice monoized or shortened music, with downsampled FMV's.

A good example is NFL2K1. The intro FMV on the copy is completely unrecognisable. You cant tell whats going on. Just a buncha color blocks. And all the announcer voices sound terrible, and the stadium bgm is glitchy and insanely loud to the point where it crackles. This is just one example.

In my experience of burning about 150 dreamcast games, I've found (by experiment or reading the NFO) that 50 percent of those games had content removed or downsampled so they would fit on CD-R. Some games arent that great, so a pirated version suffices. But some games demand better, and can be bought for $10. I always write down any modified content the game has on it's label side. That way if I see it for sale later on, I'll know if I should buy it or not to get the better version.

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:47 pm:

Oh and Nikon, I saw a good condition SF3 3rd Strike for $15 at my gameco before they went bankrupt. Also I recently got Project Justice for $20 on ebay, no manual but supurb condition case and disc. Very very happy on that. The seller was a mom and probably didnt know what it was worth. Just lettin ya know how deals can be found.

And yeah I would like one of those new USB coder cables which supposedly can rip a game as fast as the broadband adaptor could. I'd backup all my legals and store away multiple games per dvd-r, and wait til a quality emulator comes along.

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:00 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
I don't think we are supposed to "let the system go..." Personally it is my favorite system and has the games I really want to play.

Oh, believe me when I say that I'm almost convinced that I want to do all that I can to be sure that I can always play these games, because it truly is also my favorite system as well. Nothing before or after seems to appeal to me as much as the Sega Dreamcast; And it's funny, because I sort of wasn't sure about it at first (starting with the color, funny enough). Now, I practically love it! It's been that way for a while (particularly since Border Down, as I've said, which was when I "came back home" to the DC), and it continues on every day.

You're right about the games getting more and more rare; I've even started to feel glad that some of the games are no longer exclusive to the DC (such as Psyvariar 2 and Shikigami no Shiro II), because that means that there's a better chance that I'll be able to buy the version for my favoritest system ever! Unfortunately, Psyvariar 2 isn't actually one of my favorites, and I shudder to think how much more limited in quantity and costly SNSII would've been if it was on DC, only. I really like that one, especially multiplayer, but there's no way that I'd be able to afford a "Bring everywhere, play without being extremely-careful" second retail copy (say, of the regular edition).

I'd like to get another Border Down as well, but you're right, that one's looking to be becoming the elusive, costly, awesome game for the DC. I like how it's rare, expensive, and totally worth it (within reason). The game is fantastic, and the soundtrack is unbelievable. Senko no Ronde, if it truly does come to DC, could be the next title to sell out and become much sought-after... NAOMI-DC exclusivity; It's a great thing sometimes, but only if you're in the right place with funds in hand when everything goes down! Cool

And, I've been noticing the US Mars Matrix development, which is a serious pain. I've been meaning to get that forever, but have been focusing on other rarities -- It's like making french toast for breakfast, though: Sure, you can eat the first one that you set aside for yourself while cooking the others, instead of the second -- But, the first one is cold, and can't get much colder. Meanwhile, the second one is warm to deliciously hot, so, why focus so much on the cold one? What I'm saying is, I should do what you're doing -- Buy the ones that are inexpensive now, and worry about the rare ones, later. Better to get more of the ones that aren't "as rare" yet, than have to seek out and fork out for all-rare ones, overall.

(I made french toast for breakfast today, ahem.)

Ha ha... I remember when I thought that $40 was a lot for a sealed US Project Justice. Back then, I was of the mindset that most are in now, where all DC games for some reason should cost only $5-10. Puh! The games were $49.99 when they came out; There's no reason to think that even $30 is expensive. The Japanese Rival Schools 2 is technically better than the US though, isn't it? I mean, that board game thing sounds pretty cool, and it's too bad that the US version missed out on it. I don't suppose that there was a PAL release, being the best of both worlds...

Anyway, I think that you're right about learning to back these games up myself. I mean, it seems extremely unbelievable to me that I'd be saying this, but, should it seem that way? I backed up the Border Down, SNSII, and Psyvariar 2 soundtracks... I haven't made CDs out of them for myself to listen to, but, I plan to. I've been experiencing some strange internal disparity about piracy and morals and ethics and standards of late, such as when thinking about the Espgaluda soundtrack. That music sounds great, and I'd love to buy the soundtrack, but it was limited, in Japan, and available only via purchase through some cellular phone service. Does that make it okay to search for and download the songs themselves, if available, and to buy the CD if ever I see it for sale on eBay, or something like that? I'm not sure, but, it sort of worries me that I'm considering this sort of thing.

Oh, oh. You're saying that I should make copies of my games, and to use the copies, and also have full backups for the future. I see. Well, I doubt that I would ever do that, because I'm so conflicted about this whole CD-ROM -vs- GD-ROM situation... I mean, it's probably best for the games that we use "backups," but, I'm convinced that it's not so good for the DC system itself. Considering that it's much more difficult to back up the system than it is the games (ha, "ask the Chankast developers"?), I think that I would like to do what I can to preserve the system for now, because as you said, we'll always have the possibility of emulation.

So then, you are the one that is buying up all of the DCs and mod chips! Laughing
Just kidding, but, seriously now -- Do you have all (or most) of your systems modified for playing imports? I ask because of the recent disappearance of mod chips at Lik-Sang.com, since I'm wondering where you might've purchased your chips, if applicable... I've contacted LS about the availability of the chips, but, they haven't responded (and since they're usually pretty quick, I'm not sure that they ever will). I've found a place or two that might sell viable alternatives, but, they're more expensive and might not be as efficient/advanced (some requiring... open-circuiting? sounds suspicious)...

Edit- Somebody PUNCH ME when I start to post messages that long.
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:43 pm
quote : #14
Type: PAL
can i punch u now to save us from the hastle next time round Very Happy
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:12 pm
quote : #15