1, 2  Next
isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Just wondering, because the Dreamcast only has one Stick, and the D-pad is almost right below it. Wouldn't that make FPS' incredibly awkward? Enlighten me.

EDIT: Btw, yeah, I saw a video of Soldier of Fortune on the IGN Dreamcast sight. It looks REALLY awkward.

Last edited by isafos on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:02 pm
quote : #2
I enjoy more using the Dreamcast controller than the PSX/PSX controller. The second analog can be used with ABXY, and it's more easy for me.

isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 pm
quote : #3
JKKDARK wrote:
I enjoy more using the Dreamcast controller than the PSX/PSX controller. The second analog can be used with ABXY, and it's more easy for me.

ABXY, alright... what about Reloading/Jumping and all that cool stuff? were they absent features?

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:06 pm
quote : #4
isafos wrote:
JKKDARK wrote:

ABXY, alright... what about Reloading/Jumping and all that cool stuff? were they absent features?

up: jumping, left: reloading, right: change weapon Razz

isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:11 pm
quote : #5
Ah, on the D-pad you mean? Now it's starting to make a little more sense.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:27 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
also some fisrt person shooters have KB and mouse suport. it takes some getting use to with the d pad being for so meny options. some games have d pad up down left and right as a set of optoins. then the left trigger plus d pad left right up and down as a 2nt set. you can hit the wrong button pretty easy. it takes a lot of practice for some games.
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:39 pm
quote : #7
isafos wrote:
Ah, on the D-pad you mean? Now it's starting to make a little more sense.

exactly man Wink

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:10 pm
quote : #8
has anyone tried any fps, with the panther yet??

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:38 pm
quote : #9
See the Panther DC thread in the lounge.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:36 pm
quote : #10
I like the ABXY setup for running forward, backward, and strafing (similar to WASD), and having the stick work for "mouselook", with the right trigget being the fire button, and the left trigger being jump.

Having the D-pad switch weapons isn't that bad, but it's really cumbersome in UT, since I usually use up as the alternate fire, meaning it's hard to move and alt fire at the same time. I really need to get a mouse and keyboard (It's funny, I've got a set for the Saturn, just not the DC).

For Quake III and Half-Life and the like, only having one stick takes a bit of getting used to, but once you figure it out it's fine. You can be fragging aliens/terrorists/cyborgs/marines in no time.

isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:38 pm
quote : #11
Einhander wrote:
I like the ABXY setup for running forward, backward, and strafing (similar to WASD), and having the stick work for "mouselook", with the right trigget being the fire button, and the left trigger being jump.

Ah ok. I'll probably try that scheme out for Half Life when I can get it without nuking my connection (currently less then a gb before I have to start paying an obscene amount for downloads.). Also, I'll probably look into getting a Mouse and Keyboard. didn't know they released them for Dreamcast until recently. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a Console FPS. :p

Thanks guys.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:39 pm
quote : #12
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
See the Panther DC thread in the lounge.

thx m8 Wink

icebryce
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:33 am
quote : #13
They should have made a snap on Analog style stick for the 4 buttons so that it acted kinda like a second analog. That would make Q3 much easier to play.

Gryzor
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:17 am
quote : #14
I couldn't agree more with icebryce. The ABXY set-up would be OK if it were on the left side of the controller, but on the right side is absolutely frustrating.

isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:30 pm
quote : #15
Still, it kind of makes sense. I grabbed my controller out of the box quickly and tried it out. It doesn't seem so bad, but you do need to take your finger off the analogue stick to use the D-pad for actions, which I think could be disorienting in games like Quake or Unreal Tournament.