1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Just a little under 3 months ago, dreamcast.planetweb.com went offline. Well guess what everyone? It's back online! Today Ken Soohoo, President and CEO of Planetweb, Inc. posted here to inform us that the entire dreamcast.planetweb is indeed back on the internet. This is huge news. Over the course of the past 2 years, the Dreamcast online community has been struggling to rebuild. During this process, contacting corporate entities has been a real challenge. Usually resulting in a brick wall of pre-manufactured customer support emails.

In many ways, this site returning brings hope to the entire Dreamcast online community. Its proof that yes, progress can be made. Proof that yes there are people out there that will listen and the stronger we grow, more people can and will feel it worth their time to lend support.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the OnlineConsoles Dreamcast Online community, I would like to thank you Mr. Soohoo for listening to what gamers had to say and bringing back dreamcast.planetweb.com.

Also thanks go out to anyone who was a catalyst for dreamcast.planetweb.com coming back online. Gamers at large, and gamers at this website who emailed planetweb with their thoughts on the matter should be commended.

Because of the removal, and then re-opening of the dreamcast.planetweb portal, the site should garner some decent traffic over the course of the next few months. Simply because many gamers realise that the site can't stick around forever, and that we should take advantage of it while it's here. Personally, I was using dreamcast.planetweb right up until it was pulled from the net a few months ago. Heck, I found some key game saves off of the site that I wouldn't have found anywhere else. Especially the save for POD Speedzone. This had online account information saved to it that made available unlocked cars and tracks only accessable if you had made an online account with GameLoft. (which can't be made anymore of course)

Another interesting turn of events is the following URL is up as well:

http://tools.planetweb.com

This site allows you to transfer saves off your dreamcast vmu to an ftp server of your choosing. I myself used this domain almost every week. For gamers with planetweb 2.0 it was an easy way for them to transfer personal VMU files off their dreamcast's. Not only that but this link has awsome tools for developing websites from your dreamcast.

Because this is back online, I will also be able to go through with an interesting contest I was planning. A dreamcast web developers contest where people would develop a website entirely from their Dreamcast. Now that tools.planetweb is back up, this contest will go up sooner rather than later. And by sooner, I mean this week! I could still have done this contest down the road, but the tools readily available at this domain really make things a lot easier for working on a website from the Dreamcast.

Well, I think thats all I needed to say. Thanks again to Ken at PlanetWeb. To all the gamers out there, spread the word!

If your new to Dreamcast online in the past few months, or are an oldey looking to grab some vmu saves you needed...point your Dreamcasts to:

http://dreamcast.planetweb.com

Feel free to add your own comments to this thread.
Also send feedback or thanks to: web_feedback@planetweb.com

Enjoy it while it lasts. Its rare that we get second chances.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:19 am
quote : #2
Thats GREAT Very Happy Maby this could lead to more?
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:20 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
i hope this leads to other things coming back aswell
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:30 pm
quote : #4
Yeah I checked into irc via planetwe 3.0 today and was fully wondering that the site was online back Smile
After irc I tested all that little movies and m8s big thx 2 Ken Soohoo and the rest of the planetweb crew bringing that site back again.

Did U all noticed there is a PBA vmu save avaible - hehehhe Razz
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:03 pm
quote : #5
Thats cool there back

darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:34 pm
quote : #6
I guess good things can happen when we stick together.
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:45 pm
quote : #7
Awesome. Very Happy

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:09 pm
quote : #8
KICKASS! Aesome! Now's a goodtime to get those saves quick! Hey nikon, you think when you have some free time, you could get all the extra bonus content there and put it one your site to be sure they stand the test of time?
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:55 pm
quote : #9
I was gonna say this a long while ago, but then PW's site was down, so I thought it would be pointless.
Can't someone download iat leaat one video fror each game and host it somewhere (after PW goes down for good) ? If so, Dreamcast users would be able to see videos of games before buying forever.
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:41 pm
quote : #10
Hi Dreamcast Users,

I appreciate all the thanks for the return of the dreamcast.planetweb.com site, you're welcome.

As a bit of triva, you may want to know that the reason the site went down was that it crashed -- its hosted on a dual processor PIII 500Mhz VA Linux box, a little old, and it was the second of two duplicate servers to crash. Over the last few years its also been hacked a number of times as well, causing it to be not quite "perfect".

Since about July 2003, Planetweb's been focused on software in other areas, not Internet, and not Consoles. We've also had large staff cuts, so there's not many of us left. So to be honest, we were not sure if anyone would have time to pull the server and try to bring it back to life! That's why we did not commit to bringing it back on-line.

Long story short, a couple of us did find the time this week, and hopefully it will stay healthy for a long time to come. The server's name is "knuckles"...

Thanks,
Ken

CurtisR
banned!
Posted:
Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:31 am
quote : #11
i would love to see the planetweb mailing list for dreamcast come back.it was a huge hit with dc users for a long time.also planetweb could offer planetweb 3.0 on a as ordered basis.that could help offset site costs,etc.i know many dc users who would gladly buy planetweb 3 with pjava.

but even if none of those things are possible,it is still very much appreciated Ken that you thought enough of the dreamcast users and brought it back for us.

Thanks Smile
Posted:
Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:48 am
quote : #12
Wow, a pleasant surprise indeed! Smile Thanks to everyone who had a hand in getting Planetweb back online.

SuparSnoopay
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:58 am
quote : #13
You have made DC users around the world happy. I salute you. =)

ganjaborg
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:40 pm
quote : #14
i bought sono games thanks to the amazon link in your web site following dc games listed on planet web.
i still need some good games missing in my dc collection.
i have all 128 bit systems but dc is the only one i want the complete games collection, dc gave me a totally new and astonishing game experience, was my first console ever i played online with, where online capabilities allowed me to have some great fun.
planet web was an milestone in my dc experience.
please, buy the the unreal t server, and the bomber man server.
even if i play cool new games like halo 2 online, kill zone online i still dream about playn those 2 games online on my beloved dreamcast.
we'll collect money for you buy, and i'm sure there will be also people intentioned to pay a litlle fee for lettin you run those servers(if available).
thanks anyway for this great present
Posted:
Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:26 pm
quote : #15
Soohoo wrote:
The server's name is "knuckles"...

hahahaa... awesome.

and i think ken's rank should me changed to 'golden god', 'newbie' dosnt quite cut it.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux