Page 3 of 3
cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 4:25 pm
quote : #31
profile : pm
icepick wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the 1.78:1 (16:9) display is simply stretched. Widescreen TVs can do that. Cool

I don't agree, the image is not streched,
u can see that X/Y proportions are preserved in that 16/9 display, so it is native 16/9 display probably programmed for home console purpose...

Posted Fri May 13, 2005 4:32 pm:

lordnikon wrote:
cabou wrote:
what do u think the large tutorial mode is made for too? arcade? I don't think so... arcade games are always designed with minimalist tutorials in order to be "coin efficient"

The tutorial mode is for the arcade. Don't you play these games? Every arcade game has a tutorial demo showing you exactly how to play the game. Especially Fighters and Shooters.

what I was trying too say is that the tutorial mode, -from what show the videos and what I've heard of a french contact in Japan- seem too rich for a game that would be intended for arcade only...
what I mean, is that the console purpose seems to be thought and designed since the beginning of the project....
that's my personal opinion, shared by my japanese contact who played the game....
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 6:59 pm
quote : #32
icepick wrote:
This also isn't so far from being a shmup. Wink

i watched all of those videos, and the best conclusion that i can draw is that its a 2 player shmup fighter. like fighters (such as power stone) each person has a "ultra mode" where they can morph into ships that resemble bosses seen in regular shooters. unlike fighters, the mode is triggered either by something that i can't find (i looked everywhere for a power bar and couldn't find one, although i did notice that the circles surrounding the characters are in fact power bars as well, and the small seems to be connected to the shields) or by low health. you can strafe/fly everyway (except for altitude changes) but your (except in rare cases) almost always facing the enemy. when you get close you can engage in melee combat which reminds me of psychic force (hopefully better than that tho Neutral ). there seem to be LOTS of moves, aplenty for a shooter, and just about right for a fighter. this is the first fighter-shooter i've ever seen, but have any of you seen these genres meld before.

p.s. as you can see, i'm so damn excited about this game, and try as i might to not get my hopes up, i would die if this game didn't come to the dc.
rank 13
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 11:47 pm
quote : #33
pakkitman wrote:
p.s. as you can see, i'm so damn excited about this game, and try as i might to not get my hopes up, i would die if this game didn't come to the dc.

Dude, I'm stoked about it too! Smile

We'll probably start an SNR thread when it's released for DC (yea yea!) but it probably couldn't hurt to discuss it here for a moment. I can't figure out exactly what rules are involved in the "B.O.S.S." mode, either! Maybe it can be entered only when health is lower than a third remaining? I do know that when the armor (read: health) guage is almost gone, the player will enter "VANISH" state and switching to boss mode will result in final boss mode, where attacks are more incredible but... health does not regenerate? Something like that.

There's a power guage right underneath the armor gauge though, isn't there? It looks like it gradually fills up over time, or with successful hits, and is used up by the barrier and the dash (I think) and the boss mode.

It took me a while to notice that the rings around the characters designate character-specific attack ranges -- Depending on whether the opponent is outside the outer ring ("M range"), in between the two rings ("S range"), or inside the inner ring (melee range?), you may perform varied attacks with the main and sub-weapon buttons. I also just found out that the color of a ring designates the readiness of the attacks (red ring meaning that attack is busy/depleted for the moment). Hey yea; They do seem to fill back up like energy bars, like you said! Neato! Smile

I agree that there are tons of sweet moves and "fighting/shooting styles," and the whole thing looks like a seriously winning combination. Quite the amazing presentation for an impressive package at that...
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat May 14, 2005 4:31 am
quote : #34
i would say the closest game to this would be a mixture of psychic force 2012 and a solid shootem up. psychic force has melee and projectile attacks and its an in air 360 fighting game which i adore. cant help but hope it comes to dc.
Posted:
Sat May 14, 2005 5:17 am
quote : #35
[quote="icepick"]
pakkitman wrote:

We'll probably start an SNR thread when it's released for DC (yea yea!) but it probably couldn't hurt to discuss it here for a moment. I can't figure out exactly what rules are involved in the "B.O.S.S." mode, either! Maybe it can be entered only when health is lower than a third remaining? I do know that when the armor (read: health) guage is almost gone, the player will enter "VANISH" state and switching to boss mode will result in final boss mode, where attacks are more incredible but... health does not regenerate? Something like that.

i think i figured most of it out. in the high-def videos i saw some characters enter boss mode w/ high health, but then when they reentered it later, they had much lower health. so i think you get a separate character bar, which starts out high, but if you get shot a lot will deplete quickly. i also noticed that the bosses didn't have much (or anything) to protect/shield themselves, which made it possible to beat a person while in boss mode. it seems also the more you shoot them, the less time they remain in boss mode.
rank 9
Posted:
Fri May 27, 2005 10:17 am
quote : #36
videos added here... Wink
http://am.sega.jp/utop/closeup/senkoronde_06.html