cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:56 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
yep,
l'm from france,
and european (PAL) DCs got a blue swirl...
quite nice if u change the LED for a blue one too... (a friend of mine did it)
but just replacing the orange LED by a blue one is not sufficient, --> the voltage drops are different, and the resistance which is in series with the LED need to be modified too (22ohm is a suitable value for bue -"5V forward voltage" LED)
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:47 am
quote : #17
yeah have a look in my picture gallery both my dc's have blue led's. thats always baffled me, the pal dreamcast scene was always blue but it came with an orange (ntsc) led light which is just stupid. i changed both dc's to blue but sadly neither work any more. i kept the bits i need to do it again and if i get a spare dc some time i may do it again but i would rather have a working dc than a custom one that doesnt work.
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:55 am
quote : #18
That's a nice set up but I'm sure I've seen it on a web site before somewhere Question

My link set up doesn't have flat-screen monitors like that but you get a smilar effect. Such a great way to enjoy Ferrari.

Also, in true SEGA/F355 hardcore-ness you have painted an AM2 palm tree on your wall. Serious respect is due Wink

cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:18 am
quote : #19
Le Spank wrote:
That's a nice set up but I'm sure I've seen it on a web site before somewhere Question

i've alredy posted them on dreamennia boards a long ago... Smile

Quote:
Also, in true SEGA/F355 hardcore-ness you have painted an AM2 palm tree on your wall. Serious respect is due Wink

lol! that was not intentionnal! ;)

Posted Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:13 am:

ultrapro wrote:
I changed both dc's to blue but sadly neither work any more

usually, DC are quite simple to repair,
what are your symptoms?

reboot?
-> directly to main menu
-> to dreamcast logo (as at power up)

no power?
-> is the led lit
-> does the fan function?

no display (black screen)?
-> which cables did u try?

no disc detected?
-> insert disc message appears

etc...
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:21 am
quote : #20
This may interest a few of you:

I don't have a link cable for F355 yet; I will be getting one soon!

A really cheap Monitor are the ones that work with the Atari / Amiga / Acorn computers etc. These are usually badged as Philips, Commodore, Acorn and probably more names as well. (These monitors normally come with a scart connection on the back! They are usually the same monitor with different company name on them.)

I have never paid more than a couple of quid for a monitor like these. You can often find them gathering dust in a school storeroom. If you have a "car boot" sale near you, then look there. You can usually find one that will do the job.

I have one DC running off a Commodore 1084 monitor (In bedroom), one running with an Acorn monitor and for a larger screen I have one on my Sony TV. These monitors give a great display and don't take up much room either!

Just thought this would save some people the hassle of extra leads and cables. You just plug the scart straight into the monitor.

Kizzy

cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:19 am
quote : #21
Kizzy wrote:

Just thought this would save some people the hassle of extra leads and cables. You just plug the scart straight into the monitor.

Kizzy

ok, thx for the info,
but the DC's VGA cable cost is very low ~10$ ...
http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=left_sub&category=223&
and this way you get real native VGA display, that is to say:
-> progressive scan (instead of interlaced with scart) --> this means no scintillate
-> higher scan rate 31kHz/60Hz instead of 15kHz/60Hz --> better display accuracy
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:31 am
quote : #22
ok well the dc's that i changed stopped working heres what happens. my dreamcasts were scratching the games. also they didnt like playing some of the games. when i first got the original machines they played all the games i owned but over time certain games stopped loading on each of the 2 machines. other than that they both worked ok it just got annoying cos i started buying new copies of the games thinkin it was the software.
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:40 am
quote : #23
did u try to clean the lens with a cotton stem and methylated spirits?
Posted:
Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:14 pm
quote : #24
yeah sure cos i really know what to put on my dc lense without fear of damaging it!! Rolling Eyes no i did not try that and i probably wont as i dont know how to get the stuff you just said!!
Posted:
Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:04 pm
quote : #25
just clean the lens with a cotton strerm slightly wet with a drop of alcohol...
I'm sorry , I'm not sure i use the right words (i'm french) Mr. Green