Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
MetaFox
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was reading your (LordNikon)'s rant in the AFO flame fest about not many people working on online capabilities, and I'd like to lighten the mood around here to let you know that people certainly are.

There are many projects in the works, such as DCRPG, a "homebrew" browser, and several more that I'm not at the liberty to discuss at the moment.

There are two independently developed titles that I can think of off the top of my head that have some form of internet-based capability:

DCSquares has an online scoring function via codes, as well as directly via BBA.

Maqiupai has an online scoring function via codes.

Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:18 am
quote : #2
I remember reading aboutt the DCRPG, and how its like a hot potato being tossed around by programers and not much has been done with it. A very graphicly simple game. But I would still get it if it does get finished and has online functions.

As I was reading all the sadness around DC online games, i had a feeling there would be a bunch of board games that would turn up on DC Online. I'm not a big fan of them though.

I would love to see a homebrew game that is heavy on the online features get released. Maybe get a limited commercial release to help fund the server for the game if you buy it from a international distributor like lik-sang.com or have some sort of paypal donatiion system. Just driblng out ideas, its late and everything is starting to go blurry...

before I go, there is no beef, I believe the homebrew community can make new online games, and I would support it. And maybe I am missinformed about the DCRPG, so feel free to set me straight, but remember, we are a happy family community, be nice...I feel wasted

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:15 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea there are homebrew projects that are starting to take advantage of online in either planned online play or using the browser to add a rankings function to the game.

I guess I was more stressing the fact that there are not many people working in looking into official online games that are no longer officially online. Very few people people with the skill sets required are putting in heavy hours researching dreamcast online games to restore internet functions to once online games.

Thanks for posting this thread, it reminds me I need to add that homebrew section to the Online Game List hehe.

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:02 am:

btw Meta Fox have a link handy for dc squares? Also is that in a final stage? or still in developent / alpha / beta?

much appreciated in advance
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:52 pm
quote : #4
Whoops. I missed this post.

lordnikon wrote:
Thanks for posting this thread, it reminds me I need to add that homebrew section to the Online Game List hehe.
Shouldn't be that hard. There's only 4 so far. Razz

DCPlaya - shoutcast online radio music streaming via BBA - http://sashipa.ben.free.fr/dcplaya/
DCSquares - Online Rankings via password or directly via BBA - http://dcsquares.c99.org/
DreamZZT - downloadable ZZT games via BBA - http://www.c99.org/dc/dzzt/index.php
Maqiupai - Online Rankings via password - http://www.goatstore.com/maqiupai/

lordnikon wrote:
btw Meta Fox have a link handy for dc squares? Also is that in a final stage? or still in developent / alpha / beta?
DCSquares is near final. Sam Steele mentioned that he wants to add the amount of combos into the high score listing, but that's just a cosmetic thing.

I think I recall Vincent Penne mentioning that the last version of DCPlaya was the final version, though the sourcecode is available - and it has support for plugins, so someone could theoretically pick development of it back up.

DreamZZT is a beta release. Sam Steele is currently focusing all of his intentions on DCSquares, and is likely to work on DCBlap after he gets the high score system for DCSquares just right, but he does intend to go back to it at some point.

Maqiupai is definately final - seeing as it's a commercial release. Razz

So, that's about it so far. I'll keep you in the loop when a new homebrew game with online functions comes out (and I'll try not to take 4 months next time Embarassed).

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:02 pm
quote : #5
MetaFox, you are right on time luckily Wink As I am overhauling the Online Games List as I am typing this message hehehe

Let me know when DreamZZT and DCSquares go final, then I can put them in the Online Games List. I wasn't aware Maqiupai had online rankings. Need to add it in an order next time I am surfing the goatstore.(is that game s-video compatible? I remember trying a pre-release for inhabitants before it came out and it wouldn't work on s-video)
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:20 pm
quote : #6
Type: Pal
Quote Lordnikon

I guess I was more stressing the fact that there are not many people working in looking into official online games that are no longer officially online. Very few people people with the skill sets required are putting in heavy hours researching dreamcast online games to restore internet functions to once online games.

AMEN to that.

A fair while ago now Segadreamcaster posted a thread at dcemulation about Maximum pool. They were little to no help, useless would be my opinion personaly. Tino showed in his thread that they had the tools needed at dcemulation he actualy mentions dcemulation personaly in his posts. What dcemulation lacked was knowledge of the Max pool servers which is understandable but whats more dissapointing is I think someone at dcemulation could have put Max pool back online quite easily it just seems no one took an interest. My quote of lordnikon above says that.

I appreciate that the people at dcemulaation work in thier own time and on other dcemu boards Im sure. JUst a bit of advice if anyone from and DC emu boards are reading, why not ask people what they would like?. Ive owned a DC from near release and I think the only thing I have from an Emu point of view is Dreamspec and Ive played that once and Im sure thats the same for a lot of people. DC's are emulated to do far too many things that other machines can already do, why do I want 2 machines to do the same thing?. Perhaps my fridge should cook pizzas?

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:50 pm
quote : #7
Blast wrote:
I appreciate that the people at dcemulaation work in thier own time and on other dcemu boards Im sure. JUst a bit of advice if anyone from and DC emu boards are reading, why not ask people what they would like?. Ive owned a DC from near release and I think the only thing I have from an Emu point of view is Dreamspec and Ive played that once and Im sure thats the same for a lot of people. DC's are emulated to do far too many things that other machines can already do, why do I want 2 machines to do the same thing?. Perhaps my fridge should cook pizzas?
Onlineconsoles and DCEmulation cater to two different crowds. People may not care very much about emulation here, but they definately do over there.

The Dreamcast commercial boards aren't widely used at DCEmulation, and when a thread about online games comes up, it lasts for a couple of days, then dies out.

The same actually goes for homebrew over there too, I'm afraid. Emulation is the big thing at DCEmulation (which is probably why it's called DCEmulation Wink)

Consolevision, Boob! Dreamcast Research, and DCEmu.co.uk are a bit more commercial and homebrew friendly. Had the thread been started at the boards at one of those sites, I can't honestly say that anyone would have come up with anything, but there'd be more attention payed to the topic.

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:19 pm
quote : #8
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
MetaFox, you are right on time luckily Wink As I am overhauling the Online Games List as I am typing this message hehehe

Let me know when DreamZZT and DCSquares go final, then I can put them in the Online Games List. I wasn't aware Maqiupai had online rankings. Need to add it in an order next time I am surfing the goatstore.(is that game s-video compatible? I remember trying a pre-release for inhabitants before it came out and it wouldn't work on s-video)

Good time to request that you should add trizeal to the online ranking tab in the list Razz .
Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:45 pm
quote : #9
since your updating the list, how about adding the Gundam:Side Story Special Disc (and premium version which came packed with the special disc or was all on 1 disc, I don't know that detail) to the list of games that had downloadable content, like I had proven in the thread I started but was apparently ignored.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:42 pm
quote : #10
Type: Pal
Quote Metafox

The same actually goes for homebrew over there too, I'm afraid. Emulation is the big thing at DCEmulation (which is probably why it's called DCEmulation )

Emulation you say, great get someone working on Emulating a Sega snap server Smile Emulation can mean pretty much anything dont you think.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:16 pm
quote : #11
Blast wrote:
Emulation you say, great get someone working on Emulating a Sega snap server Smile Emulation can mean pretty much anything dont you think.
touche

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:20 pm
quote : #12
Mr. Spank wrote:
since your updating the list, how about adding the Gundam:Side Story Special Disc (and premium version which came packed with the special disc or was all on 1 disc, I don't know that detail) to the list of games that had downloadable content, like I had proven in the thread I started but was apparently ignored.

You guys need to stop thinking I sit here intentionally ignoring you guys. I wasn't even tracking every nitpicky thing about JP online games in the online games list at the time. Secondly...........the staggering amount of information that gets posted on these forums, and I get blamed for ignoring someone? Do you really think at this stage of the game I have time to read every single thread that is every posted on here. I try to absorb as much as I can. But come on...

I keep saying this, but I don't care if people recognize how busy I am, I just wish people wouldn't take it for granted.

Yes I will be added that to the list, its on the list on my PC.

MetaFox wrote:
Blast wrote:
touche

Oh man, blast, you made a pretty darn good point there. That made me laugh, because its so true. Laughing
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:50 pm
quote : #13
lol i can imagin a lordnikon robot lol now that would be funny Mr. Green but it would help

ced818
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:21 pm
quote : #14
thats small Maddmaxx. After you make one robot, you take it apart, and make more, leaving a fleet of Lordnikon bots, equiped with information and...and death rays and pizza ovens.... (i think im going alittle to far)
Posted:
Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:24 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
Mr. Spank wrote:

You guys need to stop thinking I sit here intentionally ignoring you guys. I wasn't even tracking every nitpicky thing about JP online games in the online games list at the time. Secondly...........the staggering amount of information that gets posted on these forums, and I get blamed for ignoring someone? Do you really think at this stage of the game I have time to read every single thread that is every posted on here. I try to absorb as much as I can. But come on...

I keep saying this, but I don't care if people recognize how busy I am, I just wish people wouldn't take it for granted.

Yes I will be added that to the list, its on the list on my PC.

MetaFox wrote:
Blast wrote:
touche

Oh man, blast, you made a pretty darn good point there. That made me laugh, because its so true. Laughing

You could have posted a comment on my thread that you acknowledge my findings and have added it to your to do list, but that wasn't posted on that thread, so I can only assume it was left ignored. And I haven't seen anyone say you sit around on your ass, or to that extent. We all want a some recognition, so this is how we act to get it, like ungrateful brats, just like in any large family, where you have so many children you forget you had certain ones.