http://www.click-stick.com/replay/rajirugi-AOU05-02-St2.mpg
http://www.click-stick.com/images/game/rajirugi/AOU05-rajirugi-multi.jpg
Posted:
Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:14 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Just for reference:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4033
(That thread went sort of off-topic, though.)

Thanks for posting the links! Indeed it looks fantastic. Wink
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:13 pm
quote : #3
that's looks pretty cool, but I just don't like that all the new dc game s are shooters, i won't something a little bit deeper, like an adventure or something.
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:32 pm
quote : #4
Well, the reason that most new DC games are the way that they are these days, is of course because they're not exactly DC games to begin with.

You're aware that this game is slated for release in arcades in Japan, right? We'll be lucky if the developers decide to port it to DC, as they did with their previous project, Chaos Field.

Nobody makes games specifically for the DC anymore, unless you count that "Ring Age" RPG that may or may never get released. All new DC games these days are ports from either arcade games, or PC games. They're pretty much all Japanese, so, while the ports of PC games might have some decent story and adventure, they're pretty much for Japanese speakers only (if this is you, then, congratulations).

The more internationally-playable games are the ports of arcade games, and, I'll let you guess as to how many adventure games hit the arcades. Thus, we get fighting and shooting and puzzle games (although maybe not fighting anymore), because these are the games that are made for arcades, and then ported to the DC. We'd all like a nice new platformer or RPG or racer or anything, but alas, the DC is four years discontinued, and we'll take what we can get. Cool

Besides, there are so few shooting games released nowadays-this makes the DC the place to be for such titles. There's supposedly another title to be announced sometime (not necesasrily soon), though, but we'll have to wait to see what it is...
cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:11 am
quote : #5
Chile wrote:
that's looks pretty cool, but I just don't like that all the new dc game s are shooters, i won't something a little bit deeper, like an adventure or something.

well, at least two nice adventure/platform homebrew DC games are going to be released,
--> Alice : 2D platform, quite nice
--> Lunkin : 3D adventure (tomb raider like) made with qauke1 engine (the result is good, there are videos on the net)
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:03 am
quote : #6
Chile wrote:

It's a nice thought but, ignoring homebrew, all new games are going to be of Japanese origin meaning that we wouldn't be able to understand it anyway unless you can speak Japanese, that is!

I think that other titles such as conversions of Naomi racing games would do better sales-wise than the stream of shmups that we are currently recieving.

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:54 am
quote : #7
Le Spank wrote:
I think that other titles such as conversions of Naomi racing games would do better sales-wise than the stream of shmups that we are currently recieving.

You'd think, right? The only problem is that most of these other games on the arcade platform are years old, the original developers migt be either busy with other projects or no simply longer around, and a lot of the games have already had their shot and are old to Japanese gamers and arcade-goers.

Taking racing games as an example; Would porting one of the older racing games (or even those newer ones on the Atomiswave) to DC be a good business decision for developers and publishers, when everyone and their dog are talking about Need for Speed Underground 2 and Gran Turismo 4? Probably not. DC shooting games sell fairly well, because the target demographic is rather... specialized. They can appreciate the function behind the form, and, not saying that shooting games look bad, but to a lot of mainstream gamers, they see only 1942 when they look at GigaWing or Ikaruga.

So again, shooting games are rare, intended for a less-finicky demographic, and are pretty much a safe bet for DC games. As soon as the shooting games stop coming, everything will stop (on the commercial release side). The possible simulation love game and visual novel companies seem to have moved on from the DC, and, one would think that they'd be the last to go... But, there is one shooting game scheduled for release in a little over a month, and two more that may grace the system before the year is up. Then, there is that "Project LAMBDA" by Triangle Service, maybe, if they make it through...

(And the very uncertain possibility of Melty Blood... who knows; It could happen!)
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:11 pm
quote : #8
hold on, whats that melty blood there? looks a lot like guilty gear. what makes you mention that game??
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:23 pm
quote : #9
ultrapro wrote:
hold on, whats that melty blood there? looks a lot like guilty gear. what makes you mention that game??

...it's built on a Naomi board. That might mean something.
Posted:
Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:27 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
icepick wrote:
So again, shooting games are rare, intended for a less-finicky demographic, and are pretty much a safe bet for DC games. As soon as the shooting games stop coming, everything will stop (on the commercial release side). The possible simulation love game and visual novel companies seem to have moved on from the DC, and, one would think that they'd be the last to go... But, there is one shooting game scheduled for release in a little over a month, and two more that may grace the system before the year is up.

Yea and thats the dead solid truth. People need to realise that these shootemups arn't coming to the Dreamcast because developers are just releasing games on the system for no reason. Shootemups usually originate in the arcades first. Many of the people into shootemups on a very hardcore sense actually purchase and track down arcade boards, and have home arcades. The Dreamcast has already had a large shootemup history even before Border Down sparked off this wave of releases. The Dreamcast itself is arcade hardware so it makes it easier for the developers to get their games to the home market, especially when considering these games are originating from the naomi / naomi gd-rom. The people buying this game are hardcore shootemup fans, hardcore dreamcast fans, and new dreamcast fans excited about the dc. Finally, the Dreamcast is IMPORT FRIENDLY. In-fact on of the if not the most import friendly home console. Imports can be booted with a simple boot disc, and any memory card will work universily while using any region game. (gc has a freeloader import boot disc, but a dedicated memory card must be used for import titles).

So it makes the games very very accessable to the market that would be looking to buy them. Border Down sparked off this huge wave of titles and now the Dreamcast has become a solid console for marketing shootemups to a home market.

I'm very forunate in that, I love the Dreamcast and I love shootemups. They are a staple of my gaming diet.

As far as Rajirugi is concerned, I hope it hits the Dreamcast. I would love to see this game come to the DC. Funny thing is, Trizeal getting released increases the chances that Rajirugi would get to the DC, since it keeps the buzz alive. Had Trizeal not gotten released, there might have been a longer dry spell resulting in some consumers moving on or losing interest. Hey, it happens.

Check out those Rajirugi video's and notice how the boss battles are just insane. You can totally tell MileStone earned some skills working on Chaos Field (since it was all boss battles). Also those enemy patterns are nuts. You know what this game totally harkens back to? Centipede. Look at how you will see chains of enemies coming at you in single file, wavey lines. And some of them kinda jerk onto the screen even in a sort of dance. Those yellow ones in the second vid.