Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
The very day I send a e-mail to the seller asking to refund my money (having waited one month I was walking on egg shells) I see the package pop up at me humble abode.... Life always likes to do that to me...

after speading a hour testing Shenmue, HL, OT, UT, Q3, Wetrix and a few other titles I can say that doing it makes your DC games KICK ASS. Even in GCI sequences you see so much more detail...Even games with lower resolutions (mainly to combat low frame rates with graphically demanding games) look better, however the fact they how lower resolutions is a bit more pronounced but the games look so much better it doesn't matter...

Anyone is on the fence to getting one should BUY ONE NOW!!

PS: The Naki one is the best even has a S-video output on it, so high end tv or just pc screen you need one of these!!

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:07 pm
quote : #2
Nice, I blew mine up. Dont know how i did it but i had it hooked up to a dreamcast i had taken the shell off of to mod. It made a big spark, smoke flew from the vga and the dreamcast. No more VGA, No more DC Crying or Very sad Oh well, i had 2 more DC's Mr. Green
unknown
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:26 pm
quote : #3
well unfortunately the (? unsure if it is official) one i bought doesnt work with my beautiful 19" monitor so i cant really tell, all i know is i will never watch a dvd on my tv again cos the lcd monitor is so damn awesome. i may get an lcd/plasma tv to up the picture for other stuff.
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:28 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Awsome, yea playing games on VGA is mighty sweet. Outtrigger on VGA = wowowowow

I have a Dragoncast 2 vga adaptor, same style as the one you have DCM, has a s-video out on it too. I love the fact that it has that. So it's dual purpose. btw you might get a funky output using a gold connector s-video cable. If you do, try silver, should work fine.
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:27 pm
quote : #5
is vga or s-video better?
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:44 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well the Dreamcast has a pure VGA out signal, so it can run out to a computer monitor. Basically it looks just like a PC game would. The Dreamcast outputs at 640x480 resolution in VGA.

It's sorta hard to compare the 2 since, they are on difference mediums. VGA is as crisp as it gets though. You basically get to see the very edges of every poly. Text is incredibly readible. Browsing the internet on vga is wonderfull.

S-video is a huge upgrade over standard composite (the yellow video cable). S-Video removes all the "crawls" which are those waves that will crawl across a tv. S-video is cheap and very good. I have all of my consoles hooked up to an S-Video switch box and I can switch between them at will.
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:23 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Well the Dreamcast has a pure VGA out signal, so it can run out to a computer monitor. Basically it looks just like a PC game would. The Dreamcast outputs at 640x480 resolution in VGA.

It's sorta hard to compare the 2 since, they are on difference mediums. VGA is as crisp as it gets though. You basically get to see the very edges of every poly. Text is incredibly readible. Browsing the internet on vga is wonderfull.

S-video is a huge upgrade over standard composite (the yellow video cable). S-Video removes all the "crawls" which are those waves that will crawl across a tv. S-video is cheap and very good. I have all of my consoles hooked up to an S-Video switch box and I can switch between them at will.

And best of all the Naki VGA adapter has S-video and composite outputs on the other side of the unit Mr. Green

That VGA is pimp!

cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:49 am
quote : #8
pakkitman wrote:
is vga or s-video better?

the VGA is far better...
VGA is a kind of RGB with high synchro frequencies (31kHz/60Hz) and progressive scan adapted to monitors, while RGB's are 15kHz/60Hz and interlaced (more scintillation, lower display accuracy)

you must know that for TVs, RGB (and YUV) are best possible formats because thet directly "attack" the tri-color tube final driver of your TV set,
while other formats: S-video, composite etc.. need to pass through a decoder, and then be transformed into RGB, in order to be input into the tri-tube final driver of your TV
all transformation (encoding, decoding, etc..) especially in analog, means signal quality loss (lowererd signal/noise ratio, increased distorsion rate etc...)

to summarize, in analog formats, the ranking from best to worst is:
1. VGA
2. RGB (or YUV)
3. S-video
4. composite
5. RF output

in Europe (UK excepted), the DC comes wit a scart video Cable which is wired in RGB mode,
so there's no need to try to find another cable to get a better display on TVs,
the s-video output gives much lower quality (i tried it also)

what kind of video cable comes with your dreamcast in US? (I know that UK gets RF cable, but I don't know for US...)
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 am
quote : #9
cabou wrote:
what kind of video cable comes with your dreamcast in US? (I know that UK gets RF cable, but I don't know for US...)

Pretty much all consoles since the SNES/Super Famicom have come with composite... all the way up to the XB, I believe. I may be wrong; I hadn't purchased my own game system new until the Sega Saturn. Cool

It's crazy to me about how slow TVs in the US have been to support even composite and S-video over the years; I mean... If less hardware is required to support these standards (as in; accepting S-video would be closer than composite to the actual signal that the TV uses), then, why did it take them so long to support the connection? I mean, as far as I'm aware, every color television ever made is capable of accepting RGB input... am I right? Auh! Surprised

Wink
cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #10
yes you're perfectly right... Cool
it's strange...
when u don't undertant something, think MONEY... Rolling Eyes
perhaps there are questions of rights owning over SCART (RGB) that US don't want to afford or something similar... Confused:

Posted Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:32 pm:

just to say that composite display is really UGLY compared with RGB's...
s-video too is one step below...
so if u can get a RGB cable, and a TV that supports it, DO NOT HESITATE! Wink
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:35 am
quote : #11
Problem: My Dreamcast and PC need to use the same monitor, because VGA signals decrease in quality based on how many times you split the signal I want to know if they make a cheap device that allows 2 VGA cables to be plugged into a hub or switch of some kind with a physical button I can push to choose between each of the inputs solely so the video quality isn't degraded (like it otherwise would with a splitter). Because right now im A. not even sure if they make one (however my friend said they probably do) and B. What would it be called? I’m not even sure what its name would be, a few guesses of it on newegg.com didn’t get me anywhere….

here is a spiffy diagram I rendered in Brice for hours on end...
http://mars.walagata.com/w/dreamcastmagic/diagram.bmp

Can anyone help me out?

cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:30 am
quote : #12
u can either
--> do one: with a 5 way / 2 position switch

buy one
--> there are switches that allow u to connect 2 PCs to one screen and one keyboard just by pushing a button,
just don't use the keyboad capability...

get a monitor with BNC inputs
--> this type of monitor (generally 19" and above) have two input connections with a selection swicth
. one input on 5 BNC connections
. one input on usual D-SUB 15 connection
just connect one to your PC, and the other to the dreamcast (u need 2 VGA cables) , and switch from one to another using the monitor selection swicth... that's what I did
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:21 am
quote : #13
I use a Performance VGA Box that has a VGA In and a VGA Out. I see no differences in quality.
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:04 pm
quote : #14
I bought a splitter box thing. it takes 4 VGA inputs (i only use two, DC and PC) and the switch lets you control which one gets sent to the monitor. Out of all the equipment I've bought to play DC games this was the most expensive, especially the VGA cables themselves - they cost more than the splitter box! But it's pretty much worth it when you see your favourite DC games on a razor-sharp monitor display. I doubt I will ever play DC games on a TV again.

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:11 pm
quote : #15
my brother has a big box thing from an electronics store which allows 4 different sets of red white and blue inputs (ie: ps2 xbox gc and anything else) he has this plugged into the monitor and it works like a scart switcher. its very cool i would get one but my monitor wont work with it.