Topic: PSO glory days

Page 1 of 2
guccini
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Did anyone play PSO in the glory days? I mean when the DC was still king and there were thousands (millions?) online. I'd love to hear what it was like then, if anyone'd care to tell. I can only imagine having only recntly come online.

Confused

G

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:04 am
quote : #2
i got the game on the first day it came out, i've been online with pso since it started and i remember the golden era, it was mental, me and a friend took turns playing it offline then we would meet up when he got his dc and moved to leeds every other day and play for at least 3 hours, i was nuts about pso at the beginning, but after a while a lot of coders started going around which wasnt very good but it didnt really ruin my experience, i will never forget those days. i remember logging on one weekend and seeing 5000 people in the jp shit, 2000 in the us and over 1000 in the eu sites, it was gaming bliss, the lobbies were brimming!! you couldnt get in the first 5 of every ship sometimes cos so many people just stood around chatting, i do miss those days.
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:19 am
quote : #3
It must have been crazy in the lobbies with so many people around. It's very quiet now. It sounds great. I wish I'd been there. The strange thing is I've had a DC and the game for a while. I used to play PC games online but never thought about playing with my DC online. I wish I had. At least I discoverd this site recently. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
G

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:25 am
quote : #4
it wasnt that busy for very long as far as i can remember, it did start to die down but there were always more than 500 or so hundred at anyone time across all the 3 regions for a good few months, maybe more. it was great!!
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:12 pm
quote : #5
Hello folks, I might make the effort to play PSO again, I will probably have to start from new. Lost my old status (which was crap anyway!)

To tell you the truth I am damn lazy at the game, I will just stand around and make crap comments and refuse to learn how to play the game and insist others sort out anything that moves.

Probably the most you will get out of me is what I did the night before and how I found my way home etc etc.

I will try to make the effort, but for some reason the game never quite grabbed me? Strange, I thought it would have done so? So many people love this game, but it just ain't my vile of crack? I must have missed something vital here? Perhaps I should learn what to do as well rather than make a cup of tea whilst other fight some clawed bear type thingie?

Kizzy

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:20 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
You should really put some time into the game offline. This way, you can understand the nuances of PSO.

-Mytho

Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:46 pm
quote : #7
I am sure you are right mate! I will make the effort to play it offline, but a bit more prompting may be needed via any comments from people who play the game on this site?

I need more reasons to appreciate it, do tell, would like to know?

Kizzy

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 pm
quote : #8
Playing offline you unlock stages so you and your teammates don't have to play through them when they join your game.
Finding nice Weapons or Rares that you can't use so you can give them to friends online is always a good thing Smile
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:30 am
quote : #9
Type: Pal
Kizzy wrote:
Hello folks, I might make the effort to play PSO again, I will probably have to start from new. Lost my old status (which was crap anyway!)

To tell you the truth I am damn lazy at the game, I will just stand around and make crap comments and refuse to learn how to play the game and insist others sort out anything that moves.

Probably the most you will get out of me is what I did the night before and how I found my way home etc etc.

I will try to make the effort, but for some reason the game never quite grabbed me? Strange, I thought it would have done so? So many people love this game, but it just ain't my vile of crack? I must have missed something vital here? Perhaps I should learn what to do as well rather than make a cup of tea whilst other fight some clawed bear type thingie?

Kizzy

I must have missed it as well then. I like PSO but there are still 3-4 online DC games I like better than or as much as PSO. Thousands of people disagree but each to thier own I suppose. I found in PSO half the night would be waitng while people yacked on about lots of rubbish info then someone would enter the room and say " free stuff here " and everyone else would pipe back up, that realy got on my nerves. Too much chatting to much interuptions to game play were the main problems I found. Finaly the game play is very repetative no matter what mode your playing on and the big factor for me is its a player co-op game rather than a player vs player game. I prefer to blow the other player to bits or out race him rather than help him find a nice saber. Battle mode was useless Sad . If you cant get into the game online your even less likely to get into it offline, Id stick with online for now.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:27 am
quote : #10
Just got version 2 and getting some new codes. Why does battle mode not work? (haven't tried it but it sounds good.)

G

Posted Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:34 am:

Kizzy, let me know if you want a game.

G

Al
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:24 am
quote : #11
Type: PAL
guccini wrote:
Why does battle mode not work?

It's just poor... Most people try it once but never again.
The only good thing about it are the nice areas... Laughing

----------

I'm playing this game every friday and saturday night for several hours (which means standing around, chatting and sometimes completing an area) and I'm still into it... just can't stop it...

Of course the situation has changed since the good old days -It was really great in the very beginning-
But I don't think it's as bad as many people say. It's different today... it's quiet, it's peaceful, it's more familiar...
You don't have to worry about people deleting your data and you wont find many assholes running around.
I know many of the people who are still online, so I can still have some good games.
It's interesting to watch new players coming and growing. Each one is a new part of the small community.
DC PSO is alive... it's just different nowadays. Wink

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:28 am
quote : #12
yeah man its nice now, i think its quite a good little community. whenever i host a game, the only time we talk and dont play or anything is while we wait for everyone to arrive. as soon as we're all there off we go for an hour or 2 and i always take people on a good mission or tour of a level. i make sure people get a challenging game when they run with me. i wont tollerate constant nattering cos i like to play the game, after we finish our missions and levels we have a talk which is cool but it only goes on for about 20 mins or so. pso is great, i love starting fresh on this game cos it really tests my experience as a veteran pso gamer. all newcomers are welcome!!
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:51 pm
quote : #13
Right, so far Blast comments rang the most bells with me! But I will probably have a game with Guccini and see if me or him can make head of tale of things?

I will try this week, probably the weekend to get online with this again. I will refuse all offers of any beer or vodka that may be flowing in the fluent household I live in. (Bet the offers of beer win!)

So pester me to play if you wish, I may enjoy it? But I do have a leaning to kicking some poor bastards arse at Q3 or knowing that some smug git has just pipped me on the last bend of Long Beach on F355.

We will see what happens?

All the best folks!

Kizzy

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:20 pm
quote : #14
Type: PAL
hey kizzy im up for a game if u are
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:32 pm
quote : #15
theres no way it got into the millions- even halo 2 and couter strike only have 100,000-200,000 people on at peak hours