Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
meseta
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
http://www.segamobile.com/games/dreamcast/home_dreamcast.jhtml

The only reason it was up solong was because segamobile hadn't updated their site. Now that they are again the old sega site mirror has been taken offline.

Thsi si devastating. I was just there earlier.

I hope to God someone archived it....
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:20 am
quote : #2
i was just there this morning and its working are u sure that its down cos i have been there after reading the post and it still is up Question

meseta
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:30 am
quote : #3
Sweet, yes it is. Howebver it is likely to be kileld soon as SEGA Mobile revamos their site after yars of not doing so.

Someone please archive!

Posted Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:11 pm:

The site is still having issues. I hope like anything it isn't gone...
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:45 pm
quote : #4
I dont care to archive the whole site, But i saved all the files and screenshots on there a few weeks ago.
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:09 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Did you guys ever try the Way Back Machine? http://web.archive.org

-Mytho

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:17 pm
quote : #6
TheMytho wrote:
Did you guys ever try the Way Back Machine? http://web.archive.org

-Mytho

cool, thanks!
banned!
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:14 pm
quote : #7
*GASP*

that site RULES!!!

meseta
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:37 am
quote : #8
Archive.org is nice but its' hardlly everything. Alal the video media of course won't be archived for one.

Seeing as no one clearly has interest in preserving it I'll have to learn myself how to do it. Hope I can do it in time.
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:07 am
quote : #9
hey sorry i would do it but i cant do much on my computer
im not much on computer stuff besides surfing the internet sorry

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:48 am
quote : #10
holy shit. i just searched for segaswirl.com and there are like 15 archives of it.... ur a lifesaver mytho Mr. Green Mr. Green erm i meant dcswirl.com that is...lmao Embarassed
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:20 am
quote : #11
Type: NTSC-U/C
Archive.org is really dope. However it doesn't grab everything. You really gotta strain to get all the code, and even all the images. Sometimes it will load the images into temp on your PC, but comes up as deadlinks in the code.

I've been using web archive for a while to archive stuff and have even been working on coming up with the best w-get configuration to archive websites. I have it setup now where I can make almost a perfect mirror of a site. I am running into problems however with bbs's. Specially those used by companies in japan, don't rely on a database but instead output html files for every single page with posts. So, I hit a bbs dir and it starts leaching hundreds of thousands of files. Sucks because the command I have in place to re-adjust all the linking to a local dir structure can't occur until the very end of mirroring the site.

UGHHHHHHHH

For instance I have been working on archiving sonicteam's site. I can block off the bbs dirs in the main domain. But not for subdomains :/

Archiving actual gui and html isn't really that big a deal personally. Its just a design. Personal game homepages are cool for saving though. Mainly I use web archiving like fishing. You never know what your going to find. Movies, images, artwork. Specially in mycase cause I need this stuff for designing stuff on the site. I have also come across some other certain goodies that I never would have found by just surfing sites.

Only problem is that it takes a LONG time to archive some websites and can leech thousands upon thousands of files.

Sorting this stuff can take eons.

I'm gonna try and mirror all of the older sega site at the mobile location or dreamcast.com location. Just to see what I can get. I wonder if my new w-get config will snag all the jhtml files properly.

ALSO guys just fyi, but like a while ago, like during summer of 2003, I had gotten the original Q3 arena website for the DC. Both the dc optimized AND the pc flash version of it. 2 days later it was pulled from the net. O_o

Anyways, sorta ranting here. My web archive is pretty huge. I do plan on possibly putting it all up on the internet for people to see. However, I really have to assess how much space it all takes up and then how much bandwidth it would use monthly. I might have to wait and put it up a while from now. Its a couple GB worth of html and images alone. Thats after I have extracted all the movies, wallpapers and media to other dirs.
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:39 am
quote : #12
Type: PAL
wow. Id love to see the quake 3 home page.
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:10 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:

ALSO guys just fyi, but like a while ago, like during summer of 2003, I had gotten the original Q3 arena website for the DC. Both the dc optimized AND the pc flash version of it. 2 days later it was pulled from the net. O_o

Damn, You are more luckey than I.

Im the kind who will visit it 2 days after it goes offline.

BTW, probobly old news but i was surfing the other day and found the JP Soul Calibur DC website was still up.
http://calibur.dricas.ne.jp/calibur/
banned!
Posted:
Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:55 pm
quote : #14
dwachill wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

Damn, You are more luckey than I.

Im the kind who will visit it 2 days after it goes offline.

BTW, probobly old news but i was surfing the other day and found the JP Soul Calibur DC website was still up.
http://calibur.dricas.ne.jp/calibur/

Thats one of 100+ games websites that are still online in Japan..

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:22 am
quote : #15
i know we're drifting off topic here, but is there a link where they have all the jp dc game sites listed. if not could we possibly compile one and post it as a guide or something? i'd be willing to help

Posted Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:14 pm:

http://us.segamobile.com/games/dreamcast/home_dreamcast.jhtml another mirror from an old old post. Mr. Green Mr. Green enjoy