Topic: WSB 2K1

Page 1 of 1
JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:40 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I picked this up new recently for $5 and I have to say, despite all the negative reviews (especially from the time of the game's release), it is a fun game. Not something I would have paid full price for in '00, but for $5 it is a great baseball game. Still looks great and has a certain "arcade" feel to it (probably due to it being based off WSB '99 which was arcade-only AFAIK). The pitching/batter interfaces take some getting used to, but I'm getting the hang of it. The A.I.-only fielding seems strange in a baseball game but I'm finding I like it more and more. Realistically I would flub way more than the computer has been, so to have that element taking care of is fine IMO.

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
MK
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:40 pm
quote : #2
Yeah that's great and all... but WSB2K2 is loads better.

I got 2K1 for a buck. Then I traded it in and got 2K2 for 4 bucks.
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:04 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
JoMusashi wrote:
...Still looks great and has a certain "arcade" feel to it (probably due to it being based off WSB '99 which was arcade-only AFAIK)...

And you are correct! An interesting point I would like to make about WSB2k1 is that it was NOT developed by Visual Concepts. This one was made by SegaWOW. This game was in the arcades on the NAOMI and known as Super Major League aka World Series Baseball. This is why the game is so different from 2k2 and why the game has a more arcade style feel. Where as 2k2 is a more realistic game.

Not many people know this. That under the vaneer of the 2k moniker, is WSB2k1, a ported Naomi arcade game developed by SegaWOW.

Wink
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:11 am
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
Not many people know this. That under the vaneer of the 2k moniker, is WSB2k1, a ported Naomi arcade game developed by SegaWOW.

So then... WSB 2K1 is actually WSB '99 is actually Super Major League/World Series Baseball, by SegaWOW... and WSB 2K2 is by Visual Concepts?

(That post twisted my brain around, a little bit.)

The way that you guys describe 2K1, makes me want to play it more than 2K2... Cool
kontact
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:09 am
quote : #5
Thats actually very cool, one for fun and the arcade-ness of it and 2k2 which imo is one of if not the greatest realistic baseball games made to date. All the next gen system b-ball games just dont compare, graphically and otherwise. The only one I see as competition is the new MLB 2005 (ESPN one) which ESPN was Sega Sports.
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:19 am
quote : #6
that's on 2k sports, which is essentially visual concepts and other developers. i dunno about u, but i disliked 2k1 a lot. it's like a half-assed port of world series 99. i loved wsb99 in the arcades, but the graphics, which didn't have to be dumbed down, were. the automatic fielding was one of the dumbest decisions in recent videogame years tho. if they insisted on implementing it, they should have made the fielder's at least slightly smart. and, maybe its just me, but i hated the commentators in this game. 2k2 was better, but its hardly what i'd consider the best baseball game ever.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:59 pm
quote : #7
icepick wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

So then... WSB 2K1 is actually WSB '99 is actually Super Major League/World Series Baseball, by SegaWOW... and WSB 2K2 is by Visual Concepts?

Wait no no, WSB '99 by segawow was released in 1999 for the NAOMI, it was not released for the Dreamcast.
Then Super Major League / WSB 2001 was released for the NAOMI GD-ROM in 2001.

The flyer for it can be viewed here:
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/index.php?page=flyerdb&subpage=thumbs&id=2199

icepick wrote:
The way that you guys describe 2K1, makes me want to play it more than 2K2... Cool

Well, just because it was made by segawow and was in the arcades doesn't mean its is better or worse than 2k2, and playing a game "just" because it has certain unique differences than something else would be playing it based on blind reasoning. The facts are WSB 2k1 is different than 2k2, and it's important to know why WSB 2k1 has these differences. Then, one can more accuratly understand each game, and appreciate it more for what it can do. Rather than just dismissing 2k1 as inferior to 2k2. WSB 2k1 has an arcade influence and was develeloped by segawow. There are most likely facets of this game that I would like over 2k2, simply because I myself am more into arcade games. I still give 2k2 credit as being a far better overal game.
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:47 pm
quote : #8
I am so confused right now, WHICH IS WHICH!?!?!?!?!?!?!
rank 18
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:01 pm
quote : #9
I think 2k1 is more fun to pick up and play, but 2k2 is so much more in depth.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:02 pm
quote : #10
Chile wrote:
I am so confused right now, WHICH IS WHICH!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What are you having a hard time understanding?
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:10 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Wait no no, WSB '99 by segawow was released in 1999 for the NAOMI, it was not released for the Dreamcast.
Then Super Major League / WSB 2001 was released for the NAOMI GD-ROM in 2001.

Ohhh... I think that I get it! 2K1 was based off of '99, and both of those were by Sega WOW, while 2K2 was the one by Visual Concepts. 2K1 was ported to DC, 2K2 was made for the DC, and '99 was arcade-only... right? Please, please let me have it right, this time. Laughing

lordnikon wrote:
playing a game "just" because it has certain unique differences than something else would be playing it based on blind reasoning.

Surprised Sad

You knew that I was saying that I wanted to try 2K1, right? I mean, I don't want to base my decision on blind reasoning towards either direction, so, I'll certainly try both... But, 2K1 sounds sort of interesting, now. I like arcade style and "simulation," depending on my mood... you know?

By the way; Pro Yakyu Team de Asobou! is the only baseball game that I've played on DC, and I know that I've said it before, but I like it a [i[lot[/i]. I have nothing else to compare it to, though, and I do enjoy a wide variety of games, so it might not actually be a 'good' baseball game. It's fun to me, though, and well worth the $12 that it is at Play-Asia.com. It seems as though it could be pretty technical if one wanted it to be (there are lots of options with the team roster and such), but since I know no Japanese, I play it mostly as a 2P arcade-ish game. It's fun. Very Happy
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:53 pm
quote : #12
update: while picking up quake III arena i saw wsb2k2 going for 2 bucks and picked it up. still haven't played it, but it sounds better than the original. Smile i'll tell ya what i think and make a comparison betw. the 2 (since I will have played both) soon.
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:23 pm
quote : #13
I picked up a new WSB 2K2 this week for $1 at a US TRU. When I first played it, I was not impressed with the blurry graphics which are not awful but lack the clarity that 2K1 has . I'm used to 2K1's controls now so switching to 2K2-style makes the game seem more difficult than it really is. I've already given away my 2K1 though, so I've decided which DC baseball game I'll be playing now Mr. Green Playing 2K2 this past week, I'm slowly getting used to the graphics and control scheme. It is weird having the fielding option now - I got so used to just watching in 2K1 I have to remind myself to actually control the players now Exclamation The stuff like home run contest is cool too. Overall a different baseball experience than 2K1.

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy