Topic: NYC DC Meet

Page 1 of 2
Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:46 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Its ambitious, yes, but its doable. We have pulled off 2 Halo-paloozas before, so it is doable. I would need support and ideas. It would be happening in Queens probably. I don't have an exact location yet. This wont be soon, it will be after I get a rough number that is large enough before I pick a place. You would have to bring your own DC, yeah, I know, real hard (lol), and possibly a TV. The number of DCs and TVs will depend on the number of people, we might not need everyone to bring their own. Oh yeah, and the Vs Cables and games.

I need to know interested parties, and what they can bring to the table. This is a serious post, not a joke. This will take lots of coordination and forethought.

Thinking of calling it the first 1st DC NYC Open

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:38 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, I wish I was in NYC to help and show up but I am in chicago. Well I'll monitor the thread, and if anything gets brewing here I can post info and such on the front page if something gets organized of course.

Some ideas for your meet would be the following:

Any and all games using the Dreamcast VS Cable.

Online games that you could play multiplayer offline that wern't splitscreen. Meaning the offline experience was the same as online in terms of the interface. Here are the following:

Worms World Party
Chu Chu Rocket
Bomberman Online

These 3 games offline, play the same as they do online, everyone being on the same screen. So it's like reliving that online fun.

Then if you are gonna go splitscreen gaming with anything that was online, go with:
Ooga Booga (because it's control scheme is the most userfriendly, people arn't likely to complain about the controls being odd on a controller since it's not an FPS, and this game has 4 player support and solid framerate.)
Unreal Tournament (because it has 69 maps and lots modes + mutators)

I hope some of these ideas help.

BTW: I'm planning on doing something like this in chicago probobly hehe. I'd kill for 4 player ooga booga.
Posted:
Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:07 pm
quote : #3
granted, this is a big undertaking, but one thing is easier; bringing over a DC compared to an XBox!

Once I get a inventory of games and a roster of those who are going to make it, I will be able to construct a comprehensive system to play through, best in VOOT, Tetris Terror, Ferrari Fanatic. Figure out how the challeges can go. Or if that will even be necissary.

A little about the past Halo-paloozas; 1st one was for Halo, 2nd was for Halo2. They were held in my friend's sushi restaurant. TVs set up in a circle. There were 14 people at various points in time (people left and new people showed up). Its lasted about 12 hours, from 4PM to 4AM, I think it was a Sunday. We brought our own TVs, there were maybe 5 TVs that night.

Just came back from the toilet, and of course w/ inspiration, Dreamcast Resurectioon Party and it would have a little heart monitor going from flat line to active pulse in the end, for a banner. Anyway, I have at least 2~3 offline people that would be involved in this project.

THE DREAM CAST NEEDS YOU

TTS
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:39 pm
quote : #4
If only my mommys mini-van could go such a distance... before school.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:30 pm
quote : #5
on a weekend i might be able to go to the nyc gettogether. i've got about 40 dc games, and i could take my dreamcast over. and house of the dead 2 Mr. Green
rank 12
Posted:
Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:41 pm
quote : #6
my goal is to keep this event simple. If there are more to follow, they will be built around the architecture of the first. And a foundation should be simple. I would like the games to be the Vs. Cable games, that is why I posted this thread in that section.

This all really started out because I really want to play VOOT against other people, and since the online solution has yet to be reached (lordnikon even locked the thread about that), this seemed like the only solution. I actually picked up the second copy of the pair that was on ebay from China. I waited a long time before I did, a real long time. My other inspiration for trying to put this together is tthat I am a GP32 owner, and I remember some guy in the Uk actually put together a GP32 meet (I think he got Lik-sang to sponsor it too, provided RF switchs so they could vs. each other). People came, people played, a good time was had.

I want to have fun, but also a somewhat competative feel to it, that is why the vs. games. Its possible to have other games to play on the side, of course, but I want to start out simple and focused.

Now, holla back at ya boy, Mr.Spank, if you are in the greater NYC area or able to attend an event in Queens and also provide some gear. If only me and my people bring gear, there will be alot of waiting around for your turn...so contribute and participate.

This wont be immediate, so don't worry about your schedules yet. I need tallies of possible people. Post here if you can do what I am asking

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:45 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Mr. Spank your doing a good job of organizing. Just as good as I would. (everyone take notes, everything he is doing is pretty much how organized you would have to be if you ever ran any sort of online tournament.)

I think having DC VS cable compatible games is a great idea. And keeping it focused on that keeps it within the theme of Dreamcast Network gaming. Here are some more recommendations I have.

Bring a VOOT control faq with you. VOOT is a technical game, not everyone will get into it easily. Bringing control lists and technique guides would assist in people learning how to play the game properly. Then more people will understand why voot plays the way it does.

If you have Sega Tetris, this would be a great game to system link because you can set it up as 2 vs 2. So 4 people playing against each other. 1 team on one DC and another team on the other. So you would be able to get more people involved.

Aero Dancing Series would be a great addition also. I'd almost say using backup copies for this or sega tetris would be valid since. Man are these becoming harder to find.

ALSO:
Bring some VMU's with you! You can save replays for Virtual On, and with Aero Dancing series you can save full replays as well, and edit crazy replays and stuff. Changing the camera angle and making mini movies. Then you could upload the replay files and everyone would be able to see some of the matches that went down. :]
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:59 am
quote : #8
I would suggest these games if you want to do split screen.

Quake 3 Arena: Between playing both UT and Q3, Q3 has better framerates by a mile on 4 player.
Propeller Arena: Show people that dont know about the greatest unreleased game ever!
San Fransisco Rush: Battle mode. Its like Twisted Metal for Dreamcast.
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: Controlls are SOOOO easy to learn.

Just my 2 Cents.
rank 30
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:24 am
quote : #9
I like the idea mr. Spank, I hpoe you succeed and reach the fame of UK Rockers tournaments!
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:15 am
quote : #10
well i'm on the east coast... washington dc, so it'd be a drive for me. just how many ppl here are even on the east coast (twists fingers)?
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:46 pm
quote : #11
I like the notion of a Doubles category, for Sega Tetris. I haven't played this game, but I do know where I can get a couple of legitimate, possibly even unopened versions. Getting Vs cables wouldn't be a prob considering lik-sang already offers a discount if purchased in bulk. With so much extra junk I'll end up w/ I might consider some of it Tourny prizes (this is still in the planning stages). Thing is, how does Sega Tetris play? I remember Tetris 2 (I think thats the name of it on the SNES also featured Dr. Mario) where you sent over your lines every time you cleared 2 or more, and that made it realy competative. That was the best tetris I ever played, rocked that for ours in the club room (level 9!!! only way to play it and keep it exciting). How would a Tetris 2 on 2 even work?

I am not going to do the FPS thing. You can get your fragging action anywhere! PC, PS2, Xbox! Come on, who would commute to do that!? Head to head F355 Challenge, or true 1on1 VOOT, you can't get that anywhere else. Besides Sega Tetris, I have also not played Aero Dancing titles, how do they play out in Vs?

I was hopping I would get a bigger turn out from this forum, you guys don't seem too crazy Confused I don't want to have to recruit from true strangers. Fall back would be to leave flyers at the only vintage game shop that I know here, and no telling how crazy the turn out would be. I was hoping to leave that for a follow up event (a theoreticly bigger one) after I could get a larger venue, which would probably cost me some money to rent, which would mean admission fee for players, and thats really asking alot (my opinion) since its a 'dead' system AND you have to play to play! Its very esoteric, so thats why I have to do this small. I suppose I should spread the idea to other forums...just too lazy this second...and I should shower...I have to go out and celibrate w/ my GF tonight...

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:48 pm
quote : #12
I live in North Carolina.

No offince, but i want to stay as far away from NYC as i can. From what ive heard the people are so rude up there.
rank 30
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:27 pm
quote : #13
yeah, see the problem is, I live about 1,500 miles away from you in the southern most part of the continental US in sout texas, so that is out of the question for me.
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:40 am
quote : #14
I could probably come, I live over here in Ohio and we go up to New York all the time.

Ut, hmm sounds good, gotta get a copy though
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am
quote : #15
Chile wrote:
yeah, see the problem is, I live about 1,500 miles away from you in the southern most part of the continental US in sout texas, so that is out of the question for me.

Isn't the Southern most part Florida?

I don't expect anyone to cross state lines if this is going to be less than 10 people from the forums. I mean, it just sounds sick to get people to travel all that distance if its only going to be 5 people!

The other day I was playing my VO:CT, and wow, what a great game, even though its 32bit, wow, it looks fantastic and plays great. My VO:OT is still in the mail, along w/ my Total Control 3. I can't wait to see this jem in its 128 glory!

And I can't wait to be able to play that arcade style, especially in a torny format.

Also, I'm nearly 22, and some of you posting are still teens, and wow, I feel sleezy, getting boys to come over for games, and you met me off the internet, man, I'm beggining to scare myself Shocked what would your mothers say Shocked

If I get enough stuff together, I am going to try to have a dry run of a Torny on my former campus, in the ol' Sci Fi Anime Club room
(so many wasted hours there, we got a Genesis, a SNES, PS2, Xbox (moded), N64 and of course people bring their own handhelds (GBAs, NDS, GP32s). We use to have only 1 TV, and then we brought in another, and the old one got jealous and died. We also have a computer w/ internet access. We have the most tricked out club room there is. Technically its the office for Sci Fi Anime Club, but yeah, wasn't this about my DC NYC Meet? Yeah, it is! There has got to be more people from the greater NYC area on this post!