Topic: DC keyboards

Page 1 of 1
ezekiel2222
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:48 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and this looked like the only appropriate sub-forum to post this in, so here goes:

I recently got a copy of Typing of the Dead for my DC. Needless to say, I needed to get a keyboard, so I went on Ebay and found some new ones for real cheep. Through a bunch of errors, I ended up getting two different keyboards. They both claim to be the "Official Sega brand keyboard" but the thing is they both look rather different. They have all the same keys, but many of them are shapped differently. There are also some other major differences:

The first one simply says "Dreamcast" in the upper right hand corner on the front. On the back there is a silver sticker that says "Dreamcast" "HKT-7610" "SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD." "MADE IN KOREA"

The other keyboard says "SEGANET" in the upper right hand corner on the front. And it's back says "SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD." "MODEL: SK-1502" and it also lists a P/N, a S/N, and has some info about the testing and how it wont cause interfearance and such. It also has the SEGA logo, but it looks a little funky to me, espescially the "A" which doesn't look anything like the ones on any of my other official SEGA products.

The first one looks like the one pictured here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4303&item=8179427359&rd=1

The second one looks like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41054&item=8180162588&rd=1

Bassically I was just wondering if anyone knew which one of them is the actual "Official SEGA brand" one. If they both are, what is the difference between them (age, functions, ect.)?

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:17 pm
quote : #2
the first one is the one that i recognize as the "sega keyboard". i have no idea as to what the second one is? maybe a japanese bootleg? or a rerelease? all speculation.
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:18 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
dont worry they're both official
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:22 pm
quote : #4
did it come with seganet subscription?
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:26 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
pakkitman wrote:
did it come with seganet subscription?

i think it did but im not sure
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:12 pm
quote : #6
Ok, then if the are both "official", what is the difference? I doubt there is anything functional, so I guess it must just be older/newer versions or something?

Bassically the reason I asked to begin with is I am pretty much anti-third-party. I have 9 different systems, and maybe 2 third-party accessories total. And that second keyboard, the one with the "SEGANET" logo, just had a very third-party look to it. Also, I'd idealy like to have two matching keyboards, so now I have to figure out which one to get rid of and replace with a second of the other one. I think I may stick with the "Dreamcast" one, becuase it has a more official feel to it, but since you claim they are both official, I am not sure.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:12 pm
quote : #7
The second one is indeed the one from a seganet subscription, that's the one I bought last year, works fine, I recommend that one since I believe it is rarer.
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:51 pm
quote : #8
I have the SegaNet version keyboard aswell. It also came in a plain brown cardboard box. Looks like mail order special, so I presumed it was. I have seen 2 different type of boxes for the DC keyboards besides the SegaNet version I havee. One w/ a white box, and one in a black box. I believe (could be wrong) the earlier DC items came w/ white border/spin graphic and the later items came w/ a black. I am happy w/ my keyboard. If I were in your shoes, I would keep both, because I am sure they are both official and this way you have some diversity.

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:11 pm
quote : #9
I picked the SegaNet version when I bought one (still haven't used! Shame on me!), because I have a particular preference when it comes to keyboards:

Single-height enter key. Double-width backspace key. Do not make backspace key the same size as a regular key, to make room for the backslash key right next to it, when the enter key is a gigantic, fat, backwards L.

You guys know what I mean? It annoys me when the enter key is unnecessarily huge, and the backspace key is unnecessarily tiny. Another pet peeve is when the spacebar is cut into two pieces (left for backspace, and right for space). Thankfully, this doesn't happen often.

I should buy another one and get Typing of the Dead. That's 1~2P, right?
Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:30 pm
quote : #10
yeah, 2 player typing madness! That game is nuts! Funny how my original doesn't work, but the 'back up' I DLed works fine! I posted a thread here about that. My original didnt work, got it replaced, that didnt work either, so now I have a TRUE back up of the game, store it w/ the original too.

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:49 pm
quote : #11
Sweet, thanks. I think that I can pick both up for under $20 with shipping.

Also, I'd say that your DC is getting touchy. Don't use CD-Rs with it too much, otherwise they'll be all that you can play with it, and I imagine that's not too good a feeling. Neutral

(I'm so low-key right now. Bedtime was hours ago.)
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:50 am
quote : #12
icepick wrote:
Sweet, thanks. I think that I can pick both up for under $20 with shipping.

Also, I'd say that your DC is getting touchy. Don't use CD-Rs with it too much, otherwise they'll be all that you can play with it, and I imagine that's not too good a feeling. Neutral

(I'm so low-key right now. Bedtime was hours ago.)

i saw TOTD floating around ebay for 1 cent.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:51 am
quote : #13
those auctions are never really 1cent, they go up, and usually have a high S/H.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:13 am
quote : #14
i know, but the when you do occasionally win its great. and shipping, around 4 bucks, is still pretty okay.