1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
We all know Outtrigger has some really weird controller configurations. A through C are for the most part worthless. I still don't understand how you can use them. How are you supposed to move with the d-pad and aim with the analog?...and shoot? I'd need 4 arms! D1, D2, and E1 are the most logical schemes to use with the DC controller. However...take a look at control scheme F1. I was playing some OT today messing with this scheme and boy oh boy was it a wreck. Train wreck is more like it. I couldn't figure it out. Everything was totally screwy. I thought my controller was acting up, until I looked at the screen to re-verify. Then *snap* I figured it out. Try this one on for size:

Power on your Dreamcast and start up a multiplayer game. Choose control scheme F1. Then start the game. At first you will wonder how in gods name anyone is supposed to play like this. Here is the clue, take your controller, and turn it upside down!

Thats right, AM2 made it so you move with the face buttons and aim with the analog stick on the right side! Crazy? Totally crazy. Does it work? Yes it does. I gave this scheme some time and for gamers who don't have a mouse and really want to aim with their right hand, this is definatly an option. It does make moving a bit harder because the face buttons are more spread out.

Now, in order to shoot you sort of have to place your thumb on the face buttons, and use your other pointer finger to tap up or down on the d-pad to jump/fire. Yes, this is totally nuts. But, after about 3 minutes I was getting used to it. The only real problem is gripping the controller. The large VMU slot holders sort of get in the way.

Even if you don't use this scheme, you gotta give props to AM2 for even trying something like this.

Note: The one dissapointing thing is, the "crossed" control scheme is entirely absent. I thought it was in there. However, it's not. The cross control scheme is what is found on Unreal Tournament. Basically the analog stick goes forward/backward, and turns left and right. Then the face buttons strafe and look up and down. It's all crisscrossed. If you're more acclimated to rightside aiming. Using a scheme like this is easier than completly converting to a left side analog aim setup. Because with the crossed scheme you are still using 50% of the controls you typically would use on another system like xbox/ps2. So there is less to adjust to.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Posted:
Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:22 pm
quote : #2
my cheif complaint about the DC is the shortsightedness of their controller design. Maybe they were looking too closely at Nintendo instead of Sony when they were designing it. Its just idiotic, absolutly all the other 128s use 2 sticks. I also have beef w/ them because they droped the Z and C buttons, but thats not that terrible. But I want to play my Gundam Rise from Ashes game, but the controls are crap! I used to have this before my Xbox, and now I have it again and I have no idea how I used to play using A pad to 'look' and D pad to move! I have so much trouble w/ iit now, got to play it more to get used to it I guess. But I look in the options, and I get all excited, seeing controller options, but all that crap does is move the functions of A B X Y around and I tthink switches invert off, now thats just plain stupid. They already give you an option to mess w/ the controls, why the F not let you change it to something that is actually GOOD!! If I could switch the functions of the D pad w/ the letter buttons, I would be satisfied, not too pleased, because jump is still L and R is block I think, but it would be a start. Can't even change the functions of the L or R buttons, only move around the A B X Y buttons. The Sega Saturn controls were bettter for the Gundam side story games than the DC version, how could that happen!?

Just had to rant about those stupid controllers!

Sea-Monkey
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:21 am
quote : #3
Has anyone figured out how to successfully use ALT fire in Unreal using the Dc controller?No configuration seems usable.The best,but still crappy config is the one where you press up on the d-pad for ALT fire.

Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:26 am
quote : #4
Shocked nice find lordnikon!! You must've been proper bored when you found that out.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:37 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
this may sound stupid but hav u ever tried using a dance mat to play Very Happy ive used one on a couple of games and i'll hav to say it works well gud on soulcalibur Mr. Green
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:41 am
quote : #6
i love this game but thats the only gripe i have as well, i cant remember the controls that i use but i seem to remember having to use the triggers to turn left and right which was really different and totally cool, tough to master tho.
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:42 am
quote : #7
Sea-Monkey wrote:
Has anyone figured out how to successfully use ALT fire in Unreal using the Dc controller?No configuration seems usable.The best,but still crappy config is the one where you press up on the d-pad for ALT fire.

the up on the d-pad works charms for me, and every alt fire i use is great with that, with the exception of the sniper rifle (and even then, I managed to use it once or twice in a game) When you get the redeemer though, you'll NEED to use alt fire because then you can control where it goes like a guided missle. sweeet. anyway that was off topic. i still have yet to try outrigger, but that sounds pretty insane... I can just imagine one of the guys at AM2 dreaming up that idea. Confused Very Happy
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:54 am
quote : #8
Yea, controll scheme D is the best for me. However, if it wasnt so hard to shoot with F it might actually be good. Everytime i try to shoot it just changes the camara.
rank 33
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:42 am
quote : #9
Very interesting find, Nikon. I must admit that I haven't done much playing with control configurations in any of the first person shooters (Outtrigger, UT, Quake, Half Life etc.). It's kind of sad, but I haven't really spent the time to try new stuff out for too long. I definitely need to do that though and actually write down the combinations that work for me. I always forget which ones I like.

The defaults in Quake, UT, and Outtrigger are very different from each other. I've been playing a bit of Quake lately, and I switched from that to a bit of UT yesterday and just about went nuts.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:04 pm
quote : #10
LOL! An upside down control scheme Laughing
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:35 pm
quote : #11
Did AM2 do any wackiness with Propeller Arena as well?
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:05 pm
quote : #12
I think PA's controller schemes are pretty straight forward. There are only a few schemes I believe 2 or 3.
Posted:
Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:57 pm
quote : #13
I'm pretty sure the wacky controller schemes were meant for different KB and mouse setups, and just worked out oddly onto the controller.

peace,

Kingbuzzo.
unknown
Posted:
Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:56 pm
quote : #14
i just played it again a bit and i find the d1 control setup easiest as it is the spitting image nearly of half life controls, which is also an awesome fps, anyway the rest all sound kinda awkward.
Posted:
Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:55 pm
quote : #15
Yea hence the title containing the word 'wacky' hehehe Smile Yea I agree that D1 and D2 are the most logical schemes. I've already been trying to become an "amadextrious" gamer. So I can aim with either a left or rightside analog. Or even play criss crossed like in UT(which I actually have down pretty good now). I'll play OT with a mouse and keyboard but its sort of impossible to do that if I wanted to organize a 3-4 player splitscreen game.