1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hehe killer thread title huh? I wonder how many people I will sucker into this thread thinking it's about something good. Come on, wake up, when does the gaming press ever post anything good about the DC?

Ok so onto the story. I probobly could have posted this as news or something. However:

A.) I'm tired, and
B.) The vs cable forum could us some good discussion Smile

On page 46 of the latest issue of GamePro magazine there is a small strip on the rightside of the page. It is titled, "Best Japanese Games Never Released in the U.S." Along with the caption that reads, Bizzarre dating games aren't the only things you've missed from Japan. Here are the 10 games that never made it across the ocean for one reason or another:

I am reading down the list and I reach #5.

Guess what game is at number 5 on this list?

VIRTUAL ON ORATORIO TANGRAM

... ...

... ... ... Mad

This game WAS released in the fucking United States

How wrong can you be. I mean, why does the gaming press always fuck shit up when it comes to the DC. It baffles me how people either flat out make shit up, base articles on stereotypes, or take another person's word for it without double checking the information. It's so bad now, I'm not even motivated to email/mail them about the error. There are so many ignorant people in the gaming press that continue to create and propogate existing myths about the Sega Dreamcast, that it's pointless to take steps to seek these people out and tell them "Yo, your wrong, fix this immediatly."

Because there are 150,000 other dumbass's just around the corner shovling out the same bogus missinformation.

I just look at this stuff and I get a little depressed. I don't get outright angry. It's just a real letdown to see your favorite system getting the short end of the stick over and over and over and over again simply because of ignorant, innaccurate journalism.
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:27 am
quote : #2
I hear ya, man. That's totally bogus. You should e-mail the editors of Gamepro to set the record straight. Who knows? If they print a correction based on your e-mail, that would mean Dreamcast was mentioned in at least two issues this year!

Look on the bright side though, if there is one. I saved a copy of a GMR issue from 2004, because it drilled home an interesting point about the Dreamcast. It was an editorial that basically asked why the hell people cast aside the Dreamcast, which was as good as anything out today. He went on to say that if everyone still had just the Dreamcast, they would be perfectly happy.

I was shocked as hell when I read that. Granted, that single story doesn't outweigh all of the BS that's thrown around about the Dreamcast, but it was nice to at least see something.

Anyway, I can't believe they included VOOT in that article. That's really awful.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:35 am
quote : #3
That's funny, see, I was always under the assumption that if you worked for a gaming magazine, you should know (at least a little) about games.

I suppose I was wrong.

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:47 am
quote : #4
Funniest part: Almoast everyone will believe it.
rank 30
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:11 am
quote : #5
yeah, that's pretty gay since I think everyone has seen that in an arcade, not including dreamcast.
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:22 pm
quote : #6
I remember seeing it in my local Stop-n-Save Games (EB Games chain). Along the lines of video game journalism, on G4-TechTV the DC has its own Icons episode/feature. I only caught the last minute of it, but my guide said it was Icons: Dreamcast.

And I have to agree with what was said above, you must show off their ignorance, which might make another DC mention appear in the mag as a retraction/edit. I'm actually surprised video game mags still get published, but anyway, ignorance should be fought!

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:25 pm
quote : #7
Mr. Spank wrote:
I remember seeing it in my local Stop-n-Save Games (EB Games chain). Along the lines of video game journalism, on G4-TechTV the DC has its own Icons episode/feature. I only caught the last minute of it, but my guide said it was Icons: Dreamcast.

there is a thread on this episode somewhere on this site.... still have yet to see it, but they [g4] supposedly gave the impression that dreamcast got what it deserved... Shocked Mad Crying or Very sad there is some uk magazine (total games?) that has a classic gaming section that occasionally does info on the dreamcast emu scene, and in the one issue i own they did a review of radiant silvergun...so they look pretty good. i also liked (older) game informer, like when the dreamcast was actually around. they were amusing and MOST of them were rooting for the dc right until its being taken off the market.
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:39 pm
quote : #8
was the mag caled edge? theve been re reveiwing a few dc games (shenmue and skies of arcadia ) at the back of the mag in the retro game section
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:28 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
Hehe killer thread title huh? I wonder how many people I will sucker into this thread thinking it's about something good. Come on, wake up, when does the gaming press ever post anything good about the DC?

Dammit, I saw this on the homepage and clicked as soon as I saw it. You tease Mad

As for that Icons ep, it mostly compares the DC to the PS2 and their main arguement is that the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player available and it played games, so the DC was forgotten by consumers. About half of the ep talks about other Sega projects like Saturn, game gear, and nomad or the moves competitors like Sony and Nintendo made. Not really all that much about the undiscovered greatness of the DC. I'm not sure they even mentioned the fact it was the first system to do online successfully and easily.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:30 pm
quote : #10
in more great news check out this link from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004T4XJ/104-4032424-4904712?v=glance
look in the top left corner. Shocked i'd feel seriously sad for someone if they bought this game thinking it was a gameboy color game. Laughing
rank 30
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:59 pm
quote : #11
what kind of mistake is that? A steal or a retard?
unknown
Posted:
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:40 pm
quote : #12
... more to the reason why Gamepro is my least favrortie gaming magazine.

dazzo
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:48 am
quote : #13
That really does irritate me, too. I just purchased Virtual On: OT from GameCrazy a week ago! WTF!...

Ok, sorry I lost my cool, but its really quite frustrating. I think it was mass quantities of misinformation like this that eventually helped contribute to the Dreamcast's demise.

I say email them with a jpeg taken from the US version of the game.

Anyway, I still play my Dreamcast to this day quite frequently. I also snagged up a copy of Fire Pro Wrestling D on eBay for like $10 the other day, so I still get a lot of value out of my beloved DC.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:07 pm
quote : #14
Wasn't GamePro the magazine that got into some serious trouble a long time ago for bumping up review scores of games from companies that were high profile advertisers in the magazine?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:06 am
quote : #15
Einhander wrote:
Wasn't GamePro the magazine that got into some serious trouble a long time ago for bumping up review scores of games from companies that were high profile advertisers in the magazine?

Nah, because GamePro runs on a 5 point score system. So there really isn't much bumping you can do with that. I think it was Game Informer or EGM maybe.