Topic: 2 young for quake?

Page 1 of 2
lixnick56
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
My parents say its too violent but I only like it because its fun!

can someone make up a good reason why I (11 and a half years for crying out loud!) should not be able to play this game?

Maybe I can tell me parents if its a good reason so I can play with you people! : )
Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:01 am
quote : #2
well tell your parents that its just a fantasy game and that you wont get ideas of killing people out of it .
Also perhaps its your studies they are worried about . Tell them its just a hobby and that wont play it for too long or something like it

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:29 am
quote : #3
because you can turn off gibs and blood.
rank 40
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:17 am
quote : #4
I total agree with ur parents. Quake III is nothing for a 11,5 year old boy. Dont worry. Quake will never die, so you can catch us later. I mean look around there are tons of nice games for ur age.
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:08 am
quote : #5
11.5 year old boy, lol. yeah gibs and blood turn off somethings, but if your parents are truly passionate about you not playing the game, then you should listen to 'em. it sux i know.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:15 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
lixnick56, if your parents won't let you get UT or Q3, see if you can pickup Outtrigger. There is no blood at all in the game. Its an arcade style fps. It is no longer online, but alteast you would be able to get your FPS on dc style if your parents won't let you get some of the other FPS's.

Also Outtrigger is an amazing game. Highly recommended. It's developed by Sega AM2. Wink
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:43 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
or u can do the mcmonkey method and buy the game without telling ur parents Very Happy , think about if they kno nothing about the game then how would they kno uv got it Very Happy anywho my little bro's ur age and he's been playin resident evil4, MGS3 and san andreas and their all "adult" games and he's been fine....

....yes i kno im a bad person

Last edited by mcmonkey on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:30 am
quote : #8
Try Fur Fighters. FPS action with adorable, yet deadly, forest creatures.

If you're parents glanced at that, and you weren't shooting anything, they probably wouldn't even notice.

How are my little crackers doing today?
TTS
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:54 am
quote : #9
lixnick56 wrote:

can someone make up a good reason why I (11 and a half years for crying out loud!) should not be able to play this game?

Prehaps it's a good reason that an eleven year old is playing a game intended for people who can drive and see R rated moives.

I rest my case. Kids these days only care about how much blood is in the game now.

charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:09 pm
quote : #10
ok people has the world gone mad or something ? we are talking about videogames here which arent real at all
I might be thinking wrong but isnt it better to know your child is at home safe playing a game than out doing drugs or something like that yes its violent but its not real my parents never restricted me of playing any games and i think im ok

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:13 pm
quote : #11
Type: PAL
charmed_699 wrote:
ok people has the world gone mad or something ? we are talking about videogames here which arent real at all
I might be thinking wrong but isnt it better to know your child is at home safe playing a game than out doing drugs or something like that yes its violent but its not real my parents never restricted me of playing any games and i think im ok

its the same here mate my parents arent bothered wat games i or anyone eles in my famliy play or even what we watch on tv(i saw the exercist when i was 8 and im ok), but things like this can influence people which is probably the wory most parents have. the only medium i can think of that can influence you as much as games are books....
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:19 pm
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think it is a positive thing that parents are getting involved with the type of media their kids are exposed to. I feel parents exerting some sort of ruleset is a good thing for development. Also, I think we should shut up with the whole "calling someone rediculious for raising their kids a certain way" thing. I mean come on, saying things like, "Ha your parents get bent out of shape? Mine don't they let me play all the bloody games I want. Whats the big deal?" I just don't get what purpose this stuff serves, only as some sort of ego boost or something that your parents late you play games, or did let you play games when you were younger that were violent. I think people should refrain from trying to disect or comment on the morals enforced in each others home environments. If a kid comes along and says he needs to turn the blood off, just say, "Yea you can do so by entering the following command."

Also saying this all because arguing a moral issue goes nowhere. It's like arguing abortion. In the end there is no way to prove one way is better than the other since its an individual issue.

Honestly, turning the blood off doesn't affect the gameplay. I could play it with blood off no problem. I prefer to play with blood on because there is more impact with you destroy someone. However, if shutting the blood off means you actually will get your parents to let you play the game, then I think they should let you take advantage of the command and shut off the blood. Honestly it still works fine to play the game this way. When you kill someone else they just real back and slam to the ground squirming around a bit or will bounce off the walls. There will be no blood or guts or gibs.

I know lots of kids that cannot play M rated games. Their parents make them buy games that are Teen rated and below. I have seen many threads like this across the internet. Rather than comment on the differences between their family household and my own, or comment on their parents choice to monitor the media their kids are interfacing with; I instead just answer their question. I help them find games that are Teen rated or below, that still offer a competative online shooting experience. I remember doing this when someone was asking about an online ps2 shooter that wasn't M rated, and I recommended Ghost Recon Jungle Storm, which is rated T for Teen.
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:49 pm
quote : #13
Being a parent myself, I have quickly learned there is no uniform rule regarding how to raise a child. When my son, who is 7, visits with friends, we (the parents) usually check with each other to see what would be acceptable for the child and what would be unacceptable. I've met kids who were allowed to watch violent movies like "Saving Private Ryan" from the time they were toddlers. That may be acceptable to them, but I won't allow my son to see violent movies or games until I am certain he is old enough to handle what he is seeing and also understands the value of a human life.

Butting heads with your parents is a way of life, but at least know that you're having this conflict over what you can or cannot due because they care. If you're having this conflict with your parents just try working with them to find enjoyable games you can play. You may be butting heads with your parents now, but the chances are good that you'll be the better person for it later. There's too much absentee parenting in the world today as it is.

Ratings are there for a reason, to act as a guide for parents. The rating a game gets doesn't always make sense, since it's sometimes difficult to see much difference between the killing in a game rated for teens compared to mature rated games, but at least the guidelines are there to try and help out.

There's plenty of entertaining games out there you can play that your parents would find acceptable, so just try to work with them toward finding a good alternative. Even if the blood is turned off, your parents may be alarmed with the active hunting and killing aspects of shooters. They are just trying to look out for your own good.

How are my little crackers doing today?
TTS
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:43 pm
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:
. However, if shutting the blood off means you actually will get your parents to let you play the game, then I think they should let you take advantage of the command and shut off the blood. Honestly it still works fine to play the game this way

It'll also cause less lag when playing online.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:09 am
quote : #15
well why U dont ask ur parents for a Donkey Konga for GC - so funny plaid it some mins before with my son ... and he is 3,5.