Topic: blown controller ports

Page 1 of 1
RivaOni
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
once again, the controller ports on my dreamcast have gone, they wont detect that anything is plugged into them, dioes anyone know how this can be fixed?
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:59 am
quote : #2
hey man your really unlucky and i though i had bad luck anyway
the best i can do is tell you where to send it to so sega can repair it here in england
the adress is UK and Eire
Mikrolive Ltd
Mikrolive House
Shrivenham Hundred Business Park
Watchfield
Near Swindon
Wiltshire
SN6 8TZ

Tel: 01793 786640
also some people know how to change it with a new 1 anyone in enlgand has a spare 1 he can use ?
I dont sorry only have 1 dreamcast
also try buying a dc from ebay and then take the controller board from that to yours heres 1 i found
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4313&item=5185677312&rd=1
just trying to help anyone else has better ideas go ahead cos it would be much bettter than mine and easier

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:07 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
It's the F1 resistor on the controller board.

Go here

While it's not advised for long-term use, you can just jump the two connections together until you get it fixed. The 'F' in F1 stands for "fuseable" resistor, meaning that it's meant to blow out once it's gone past its peak current. If you short it, and it exceeds the maximum allowable current, then you can cause serious problems. You'll be alright if you're just running one or two controllers.

Just don't hook up 4 controllers, all with VMUs and rumble packs.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 pm
quote : #4
RivaOni wrote:
once again, the controller ports on my dreamcast have gone, they wont detect that anything is plugged into them, dioes anyone know how this can be fixed?

What are the exact controllers, including type and manufacturer, that you are using with your Dreamcast? Blowing a controller port shouldn't be happening regularly at all. A friend of a friend of mine blew the controller ports on his Dreamcast, because he had a 3rd party dance mat with a short on one of the internal pad contacts.

If you keep using the same controller(s) when you blow your controller ports, you may find those to be your problem, and not the Dreamcast itself. If one of your controllers has a short or faulty regulator inside, it may ocassionally spike out your controller port given the right conditions.

How are my little crackers doing today?
cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 pm
quote : #5
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
It's the F1 resistor on the controller board

yep, but this is not a resistor (it's a common error), but a FUSE (for electronic board),
replace it by any DELAYED fuse of 4 amps,
and find whats the pb with the controller, cable, VLU, VP that made it blow up....
do not use this peripheral again....
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:49 pm
quote : #6
i use official sega brand stuff, the only non official stuff i own is my 4mb memory cards that i use for pso. (well i use one, me and my fiance have 2 characters each) . thats all, the pads are the same ones ive always had (it happened ALONG time ago on another dc, but i think that was more me pulling the dc keyboard out of the port accidently when playing pso)

is that service free charmed? coz i have no idea what im doing with electronics. and anyone have any idea how much it costs to ship a dc (in the uk)
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:56 pm
quote : #7
sorry but i never used it so i dont know if its free but i can assure you its safe because its on segas official support center as a official repair memeber . maybe try calling the number and ask them i might try too if i get the time

RivaOni
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:51 pm
quote : #8
ive put in an offer for a dreamcast with 11 games, 4 pads, and 2 vmus on ebay.co.uk. its got 9 days 20 hours on it and im the first bidder at 99p:| my max bid is £25 tho coz the postage costs are £10, hopefully i get it tho, then ill trade in the games i dont want or have got and the extra controllers coz i have 4 already lol
Posted:
Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:12 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
wouldnt that mean that you wouldnt be able to use ur pso characters as they are tied to the broken dc
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:31 pm
quote : #10
not at all as ive not registered my serials yet and rock-chicks appeared on 4 different dc's (dont ask i go thru them too quickly) and RivaONI has been on 3, Mumunk 2001 made an appearance on all my dreamcasts but i accidently deleted him >_>
Posted:
Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:37 pm
quote : #11
hey thats really great news then go for it get a new dreamcast i got mine from ebay cos of a really long story and now it works great . anyway if you say its no problem then its really the best

RivaOni
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:28 pm
quote : #12
bettr offer than id of got at gamestation which is now the only place in bedford that sells dreamcasts, the games arent great some right dodgy ones in there like 102 dalmations, that ill probably trade in and take advantage of gamestations dreamcast games offer:D