Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
Khalill
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Now, I'm trying to determing how many vmus I need to buy to save some online game content.

1.) Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 have event and mini-game downloads on the "downloads" portions of this site. When you place them on a memory card, is there a 1 file limit per file [mini-game, event, etc], or I can put as much in as my vmu can hold.

2.) Street Fighter Alpha 3 has Saikyo Dojo [master] files at Booyaka.com. I need to know if you can put multiple files on a vmu, or is the limit one only.
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:06 am
quote : #2
should be able to put as many items on a card as you like, but i didnt know you could use the saikyo dojo thing anymore, i thought that was all tied to the online features of the game, didnt know you could use it offline.
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:17 pm
quote : #3
VMUs store 200 blocks of data, which under normal circumstances, is pretty substantial for Dreamcast saves. Off the top of my head I think I can usually hold game saves for 12-15 different games on a VMU, except for larger saves like Shenmue (around 80 blocks) or Half-Life (20-120 blocks). Downloaded content typically requires more space, so you won't be able to hold as much stuff on a card.

For downloaded content, I would suggest that instead of buying a VMU, you pick up an offical Dreamcast 4X Memory Card. The 4X Memory card stores a total of 800 blocks separated in 4 200 block banks, so it's just like having 4 VMUs in one. They can be found on eBay brand new for around $9-$15, and they are definitely worth it. If you search for them, you'll also find 3rd party versions, but I would advise steering clear of them. I've heard those cards have some compatibility issues with a few games out there.

Anyway, the official 4X Memory Card is a real bargain, and it sounds like it would work well for your needs. Good luck.

How are my little crackers doing today?
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:53 pm
quote : #4
Also (most) sports games take a shit load of space off the VMU (160+ blocks) Mad
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:35 pm
quote : #5
Oh yeah, I forgot all about my dedicated NBA 2K2 card...

How are my little crackers doing today?
Sanji
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:01 pm
quote : #6
Theres is also a possibility to unlock 40 "hidden" blocks on a VMU.
Just use the "VMU tool", it is a great program!
(Can be found via google)
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:43 pm
quote : #7
Quote:
Posted by ultrapro at Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:06 am

should be able to put as many items on a card as you like, but i didnt know you could use the saikyo dojo thing anymore, i thought that was all tied to the online features of the game, didnt know you could use it offline.

That's not necessaraly true. The Chu Chu Rocket Character file has two (2) different files, but you can only have up to one (1) file per VMU.

Quote:
Posted by kingofgrills at Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:17 pm
For downloaded content, I would suggest that instead of buying a VMU, you pick up an offical Dreamcast 4X Memory Card. The 4X Memory card stores a total of 800 blocks separated in 4 200 block banks, so it's just like having 4 VMUs in one.

I was planning on buying numerous memory card 4x's for the saikyo dojo files. Each of them are 64 blocks and they're 25 in all. I still need to know if I can fit either two of those files on a vmu, or one. Can someone please try and experiment [www.booyaka.com]
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:01 am
quote : #8
well yeah some games specifically do have limitations but you can still put other files on it. for instance you cant have more than one pso character and guild card on a memory card. but most download content can go on the same file. also vmu games have to be on different mem cards, simply cos most of em take up a lot of space.
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:13 am
quote : #9
some games have more than one block available, and some don't. it's not a question of play testing it, its a question as to which game are you planning on getting saves for. if you tell me that, i can tell you whether it supports more than one save file or not.
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:54 am
quote : #10
1.) Chu Chu Rocket Puzzle Downloads

2.) Street Fight Alpha 3 Saikyo Dojo files

You can find both at www.booyaka.com. You have to make an account first, then go to vmu development, then game saves.
Posted:
Sun May 01, 2005 3:42 pm
quote : #11
aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddddd i own neither of those games Confused lol. ne1 care to help out?
rank 21
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 1:11 am
quote : #12
hey pakktiman you mean you cant find both games or that you dont want to?
And by the way the vmu has loads of memory only a few games take that much like shenmue i guess so that dont worrry that much

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 9:38 am
quote : #13
no, i meant that i don't own either of the games, so i can't test if they support more than one save or not.
rank 6
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 5:37 pm
quote : #14
I experimented yesterday and found that Chu Chu Rocket files HAVE to be on separate cards, as well as Street Fighter Alpha 3. The thing is, I don't want to buy 25 vmus (or 7 4x memory cards), just to hold on to those files. What's the name of the DC-PC memory card so I can try to find it online (ebay)? That way, I can save them on my hard drive for later use.
Posted:
Wed May 04, 2005 9:35 am
quote : #15
nexus 4x w/ pc link cable.