Topic: s-video/composite video

Page 1 of 2
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
aight. my new tv supports both s-video and composite video and i'm considering getting one of these for my dreamcast. questions: is it worth it? what are the main differences between composite and s (i know that composite is supposedly better but is that reliable)? and if you use either of these, which one of the dreamcast s-video/composite dealies do you reccomend? (i'm looking at the s video cable at game quest, and the composite switch at the GOAT store) thanx in advance,

pakk
rank 10
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:35 pm
quote : #2
Actually, s-video is better than composite, by A LOT. It is well worth getting an s-video cable. Pretty much any s-video cable is going to be a huge upgrade over composite. The first time I fired up my Dreamcast in s-video, I couldn't believe that I used to use composite. The colors and sharpness of Jet Grind Radio blew me away.

As far as buying an s-video cable, www.jandaman.com is a good place to look, but I'm sure other people here know of some good sites. There's always Ebay, but I hate Ebay.
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:17 pm
quote : #3
Composite is just standard, its not something extra, its what it comes with unless you are using RF. S-video is the upgrade, you should use it for all your systems. Cool
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:38 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Very Happy

S-Video all the way!!! the classy cable!
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:17 pm
quote : #5
Jandaman is sold out of S-Videos, I think. You should get a VGA box with an S-VIDEO port on it. Then get an S-Video cord from Wal-Mart for like 6 bucks. While the VGA Box is pricer than the S-Video cord you could get from Jandaman, it gives you more options. Wanna play on your S-Video TV? Or your VGA PC Monitor? Flip a coin! Hooty hoo!
Posted:
Sun May 01, 2005 3:33 pm
quote : #6
MK wrote:
Hooty hoo!

Shocked

Umm, yeah, sorry about mixing up composite and S-video, I'm a television n00b (I just upgraded my 20 year old television that didn't have A/V ports at all). So does S-video just upgrade the colors, or does it make the picture sharper (higher resolution)? Also, whats a good price for an Dreamcast S-video cable? I saw one for 15 bucks and considered buying. Thnx in advance,
pakk
rank 40
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 12:27 am
quote : #7
well better you use a RGB cabel. I know RGB isnt a standars in oversea but the DC can handle RGB signal and most good TVs are able 2 show that signal. The RGB port looks like a normal scartport but has more pins.
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 5:18 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
grubensau wrote:
well better you use a RGB cabel. I know RGB isnt a standars in oversea but the DC can handle RGB signal and most good TVs are able 2 show that signal. The RGB port looks like a normal scartport but has more pins.

That port is not standard on US televisions grub. Thats really mainly in europe. One would have to buy a specific monitor to use the RGB.
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 7:44 pm
quote : #9
s-video is all i got and it looks great it has better color sharpness. I got my s-video cable at lik-sang for like 4 bucks I think dirt cheap and brand new.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 8:58 pm
quote : #10
Yea s-video is what I use as well, it looks great.
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 4:37 am
quote : #11
ranking from worst to best quality
. RF
. composite
. S-video (named also S-VHS)
. RGB & YUV
. VGA (progressive scan RGB)
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 11:08 am
quote : #12
I only have one S-VIDEO imput on my TV, and its dedicated to my XBOX. I just use composite cables for my DC.
rank 9
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 11:27 am
quote : #13
In Europe we got TVs that come with SCART connectors,

this allows composite, s-video, RVB inputs, depending on how the console video lead is wired...

SEGA brought all european DC (UK excepted) with RVB Scart cable (out of the box) -> best possible quality display! Very Happy
SONY consoles come in europe with that ugly composite cable -> u need to go and buy a RVB one 30€, a shame ! Evil or Very Mad
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 6:29 pm
quote : #14
dwachill wrote:
I only have one S-VIDEO imput on my TV, and its dedicated to my XBOX. I just use composite cables for my DC.

Dwachill, you can buy an S-Video switcher at Radio Shack or maybe even Target for around $9 or so, and you'd be able to use your one S-video connection for both your X-Box and Dreamcast. It's probably the most cost effective upgrade for your system, because S-Video brings out a lot of detail that tends to bleed together with a basic composite or RF connection. I used composite for quite a while before upgrading to S-Video, and I was very surprised by the dfifference. S-Video allowed me to see a ton of details that I never new existed, such as the facial details in Tony Hawk characters or seeing the sweat fly off on impact in the Ready to Rumble series.

There really isn't much of a difference in performance between S-VHS and regular component video inputs, because both deliver the color separated out, which is the same premise for RGB connections. Regular composite and RF video signals combine the picture color together before sending the signal to the TV. This leads to loss of color separation and often results in color bleeding or imbalance.

Personally, I've been eyeing a Panasonic rear LCD projector 42" widescreen TV. That's my dream display, and it is one of just a handful of big screens that offers a VGA connection...

How are my little crackers doing today?
dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 7:18 pm
quote : #15
I know all that detail is there, i used to use a VGA box. Then i blew up the vga box by mistake. Rolling Eyes