Unerd_01
rank 7
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 7:45 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
How do all

Having just got my DC back online i booted up quake and checked for servers (to which it found about 15) but i couldnt find a game with anyone but bots.

Anyone got any time saving tips to find games genuinely being played???

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Tue May 10, 2005 9:48 am
quote : #2
Highlight a server and go to info. There you can see the names of the people playing, including bots. So as long as you know the name of quake bots, you'll be able to identify them. And, btw, sgrande always has bots.
rank 40
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 6:24 am
quote : #3
look for theyr speed.... if speed is zero its a bot or the admin.
Another way is if you are into a game go 2 spectate and take a look who is inside. If its a bot there is written CPU.
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 7:58 am
quote : #4
grubensau wrote:
Another way is if you are into a game go 2 spectate and take a look who is inside. If its a bot there is written CPU.

not true, bba's or pristine dialup connections don't show any change in speed.
rank 20
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 2:47 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Usually anyone in a game who is either named after a Quake III character (Sarge, Orbb, Klesk... etc) is a bot.

Also, most Q3 players that I have seen like to enter their name in a different color when creating a character profile.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 9:52 am
quote : #6
Einhander wrote:

Also, most Q3 players that I have seen like to enter their name in a different color when creating a character profile.

Except for me Sad . Yeah out of all those ways tho, I recommend just trying single player or looking through the characters until u remember their names then u can see if they're playing.
rank 13
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 2:08 pm
quote : #7
To this day, I have yet to figure out how to use a difrent color name. Oh well.
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 2:20 pm
quote : #8
Type: PAL
TTS wrote:
To this day, I have yet to figure out how to use a difrent color name. Oh well.

1=red
2=green
3=yellow
4=blue
5=turquoise
6=purpel
7=white

^1hello ^2world ^4it's me

would look

helloworldit's me
3vilpinky
rank 7
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 pm
quote : #9
pakkitman wrote:
grubensau wrote:

not true, bba's or pristine dialup connections don't show any change in speed.

no, pakkitman, you are wrong. there are no connections that show no change in speed. none. at all. ever. they all show change in speed. even server admins ping fluctuates between 0 and 10 depending on how many ppl are playing in the server and such. and i really dunno where you get off saying pristine dialup connections dont show change. you can scan a server and say its a 189 ping, go ahead... scan it again, if its 189 every time you scan it ill give you a million dollars. grube was correct, check the ping. if it is a constant 0 then it is a bot. IF AT ANY TIME THE PING IS NOT 0 THEN IT IS NOT A BOT. they will always and forever have 0 and only 0. whoever started this post (im sorry i forgot who it was) its very easy to ell the difference between a real player and a bot. check ping, look at their name ect. once you know what youre lookin for its extremely simple to tell who is bot n who is real.
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 10:20 am
quote : #10
well, that would be nice, but not all servers have perfect ping despite the fact that they don't have players on their servers. for a while sgrande had mediocre ping despite the fact that there were only bots on many of his servers. so, this method is not 100% accurate either. heck, i was even playing on nikon's server alone once and the ping went from okay to 999, it was only a second, but still this proves that ping time isn't the best way either. (and i guess i just never noticed the speed difference, perhaps its the fact that i need glasses, but i never noticed a difference between an empty server's ping and a server with 3 guys on bba's)
rank 7
Posted:
Fri May 13, 2005 8:16 pm
quote : #11
hm pakkitman i dont think you understood what i meant. im not talking about the servers ping, im talkin bout how fast you ping to the server. your connection. but w/e no big deal anyway, peace man =)
Posted:
Sat May 14, 2005 12:20 am
quote : #12
You can change the color of your name by hitting the function keys (F1-F12) while inputing you name into your profile (Where you select what color you want your railgun shot to be among other things). Or, select a function key and than input a letter if you're using a controller and the onscreen keyboard. Just please keep your entire name in one color. Rainbow warriors are cool and all, but it just looks cheesy as hell. And for God's sake, avoid F12 (the flashing font), it makes you look like a total douche.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 14, 2005 3:48 pm
quote : #13
You can also set your name color in the profile config in the offline options menu for character edit I believe. I think you can do it without a keyboard too if you don't have one.
Posted:
Sat May 14, 2005 5:55 pm
quote : #14
3vilpinky wrote:
but w/e no big deal anyway, peace man =)

mb Smile .

yeah, rainbow warriors are lame, but i should change my color just so i stand out. and yes you can do it w/o a keyboard.