http://devcast.dcemulation.com/News/fullnews.php?id=25

haha watch vid. crazy shit. its about OCing the DC

MK
rank 16
Posted:
Tue May 24, 2005 9:41 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
What the hell was that? I see no difference between the 200MHz and the 240. I want to see the difference with a REAL game. Not this [oops I just can't keep my mouth shut]

edited by admin
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 7:10 am
quote : #3
i dunno, the 2d homebrew alice looks better than the fugly models that plague some bad dc games.

Posted Wed May 25, 2005 9:17 am:

i think that the video is nice, but yeah it'd be cool to see it against some games with horrible framerate problems. i dunno, but say with draconus, it'd be interesting to see if it got rid of the slower framerate that makes it feel like your playing within a real floaty physics engine.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 12:08 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is extremly impressive. Also you guys are misunderstanding the point of the demo. They created a demo to really push the systems processor. Otherwise with most games you would have to watch the movie like 10 times and really pay close attention to see any real change in speed. This demo really pushes the Dreamcast to show a significant difference.

There is a huge difference in speed between the one running off of the 200mhz, and the one running on 240mhz.

This is great stuff, and would mean if one applied this mode, UT on dreamcast could run....extremly smooth.

In-fact....this type of a speed increase would improve splitscreen gaming across the board for almost all Dreamcast games.

Pretty amazing. I hope some more detailed guides develop in the near future on this type of stuff.
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 1:19 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
i think i need to buy a little fridge for my dc so it can do that.

Last edited by mcmonkey on Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 41
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 1:53 pm
quote : #6
i'd be willing to try it if someone gave out a detailed guide about how to oc it, and when i got my second dreamcast. that's the best thing about this, since dc's aren't expensive it isn't as bad as ocing and frying a computer. now if only the dc had come out with the water cooling system it was originally supposed to have. Razz
rank 16
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 2:02 pm
quote : #7
Snaaaaaap. Well, I'll be sure to use less opinionated adjectives from now on.

I guess my eyes aren't well tuned to notice anything. I'm sure this would rock for actual games, but I don't think this particular demo was the best in showing improvements. I mean, "Could you imagine how awesome this would be for splitscreen multiplayer or *enter name of game here*." I would have much rather seen a demo that showed increased framerate in splitscreen multiplayer of *enter name of game here* instead of having to imagine the difference. I can imagine on my own time.

Hm... it'd make Half-Life run smoother and hopefully load faster.
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 8:51 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
speaking of loading faster...

Soldier of Fortune.............could really really use it Laughing
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2005 3:40 am
quote : #9
that demo meant nothing to me. they didnt look any different from what i saw.
Posted:
Mon May 30, 2005 5:47 pm
quote : #10
I could tell that the demo went faster and smoother. I think some people are looking for better graphics and not framerate.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Mon May 30, 2005 7:56 pm
quote : #11
It's especially clear in that first demo. At least that's where I saw the difference most easily.
unknown
Posted:
Tue May 31, 2005 5:24 am
quote : #12
Actually, most people on here misunderstand the effect of overclocking a console. Consoles are not like PCs - with a PC if you overclock a processor then the framerate will be higher though the actual speed of the game will remain the same. You will not suddenly be travelling at 400mph in a racing game instead of 150mph for example.

With consoles, the game speed is decided by the speed of the CPU - if you overclock it, the game will become faster though the problems with framerates will still exist because the work done by the CPU is still as intensive.

You would therefore *still* get drops in framerate in Shenmue, but instead of dropping from 30fps to 15fps in built-up areas for example, you would see it from from 60fps to 30fps - the same percentage drop. The problem is, that at 30fps in built-up areas Shenmue would be playing as it's supposed to, but at 60fps in areas of low graphical complexity, people would be walking twice as fast and the camera would pan around Ryu twice as fast - like playing the game in fast-forward.

Overclocking in consoles is therefore not a way to overcome framerate issues. Overclocking just makes the processor perform more cycles per second, but the number of calculations it can perform per cycle remains the same.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Tue May 31, 2005 8:25 am
quote : #13
so would lip synching go insane?
rank 44
Posted:
Tue May 31, 2005 1:17 pm
quote : #14
Type: PAL
it would be like a benny hill sketch or sumthin
unknown
Posted:
Tue May 31, 2005 2:37 pm
quote : #15
pakkitman wrote:
so would lip synching go insane?

I guess that depends on how it's done. If the lips are animated by the developers along a pre-determined time-line that obeys the speed of the game engine, and the audio just pasted on top then yes - they'd be out of sync completely.

If on the other hand the lip-sync is done in real-time by the processor then it would obey the speed of the audio and not the speed of the CPU cycles.

My guess is that most people use the first example though as it's much easier, and developers assume that everyone's console is going to be running at the same speed. Wink