Topic: Sega GT 2002

Page 1 of 1
Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
this is more of a history question. When the Xbox came out, this was one of the early titles for it. Just like Jet Grind Radio. I had that game for a while, and I did love it. But one thing I really did not like about it was that the frame rate seemed really messed up. I felt like as if I was driving through frames, it just didn't go smooth, which is crazy to me since it is on the hottest hardware. So I begin to wonder, was it supposed to come out for the DC originally? Was it a DC project that got ported to the xbox?

charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:21 pm
quote : #2
hey sorry didnt a game called that came out on the dremacast ? i seem to remember seing it many times on ebay just a though thats all , sorry if im wrong

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:26 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
i would have thought tht it was origonally in production for the dc like how JSRF and House of the dead 3 were, but ive never had a problem with the frame rate.
rank 12
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:26 pm
quote : #4
Sega GT Amalgamy or something like that. Sega had also released a Sega GT for Sega Saturn I believe. Does anyone know how original the Sega GT 2002 title is? It doesn't feel like it belongs on the XBox!

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:27 pm:

mcmonkey wrote:
i would have thought tht it was origonally in production for the dc like how JSRF and House of the dead 3 were, but ive never had a problem with the frame rate.

I have a feeling that it is like those 2 games, thats why I brought this up.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:29 pm
quote : #5
I don't recall a sequel to GT ever being put in the works for anything besides Xbox. But who knows, JSRF was supposedly in the works for Dreamcast and I never learned that until I came to this forum.
And charmed, Sega GT did come out for dreamcast, but he was asking if their was a sequel being made for dreamcast before sega stopped supporting it and if they switched it over to the xbox.
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:31 pm
quote : #6
charmed_699 wrote:
hey sorry didnt a game called that came out on the dremacast ? i seem to remember seing it many times on ebay just a though thats all , sorry if im wrong

that was the dc original this is the xbox sequel.
unknown
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:49 pm
quote : #7
fair point, it may have been in the works for the dc but who knows, i must say i looked out for as many dc releases as i could as they were coming and i dont remember sega gt 2 or 2002 or whatever being scheduled for dc. the only other game i know was slated for dc release and was actually on the way when they pulled it (i have ingame footage of it on a promo video tape which also had a long ad for halflife) is Gunvalkyrie. how great would that game have been on dc?? its an astounding game on xbox, the graphics are intense and the level design is rock hard!! not to mention the heat effects that eminate from the boost packs the characters use. did you guys know it was orriginally going to be cell shaded?? how cool is that.
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:11 pm
quote : #8
^^ Gunvalkyrie DC Crying or Very sad waaaaaah!

I actually like the way that it turned out as non-cel-shaded, but that might be only because I haven't seen what they had planned for it to be. I would've loved for that game to be on DC; You say that they had it on the way, as in it was nearly finished--or as in it was in development? Either way, it's such a bummer that it didn't make it. I know that I say that about every unreleased DC game, but, really now. It absolutely looks like a DC/NAOMI game to me, and it's really too bad that it wasn't destined to be released as one of the final DC games...

As for Sega GT 2002, I have to agree that it seems to have been an XB project from the start.

I've been meaning to mention something here for a while; Has anyone seen that "Dreamcast_OP" movie for Thunderforce VI? I just saw it myself a while ago, and it might be of interest to cancelled DC/scroll shooting game fans... After seeing it, and realizing that we missed out on at least two exclusive shooting games (though we've gotten plenty to make up for it, I should add)... Then again; I've gotten into DC shooting games mostly because of its 'swan song' (Ikaruga) and the excellent scroll shooting titles released since then (Border Down, Psyvariar 2, and so on). Had the DC not been discontinued, would I have even noticed Thunderforce VI or Shienryu 2? It's like that one scene from The Matrix where Neo knocks the vase over. Laughing

Edit- Ahh! I'm Sonic's buddy! Mr. Green
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:31 am
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U/C
Mr. Spank wrote:
So I begin to wonder, was it supposed to come out for the DC originally? Was it a DC project that got ported to the xbox?

Nobody knows 100% for sure. However since there was a Sega GT already released on the DC it can be theorized that the Sega GT 2002 project was sparked up with only the Xbox in mind, when Sega decided to tackle multiplatorm gaming.

mcmonkey wrote:

JSRF might have been a Dreamcast boud release, however House of the Dead 3 was not.

HOTD3, along with Crazy Taxi 3, and Outrun 2, were all developed for the Chihiro Arcade Hardware. Which was an Xbox based board. These games have no ties to the Naomi or the Dreamcast at all.

ultrapro wrote:
fair point, it may have been in the works for the dc but who knows, i must say i looked out for as many dc releases as i could as they were coming and i dont remember sega gt 2 or 2002 or whatever being scheduled for dc. the only other game i know was slated for dc release and was actually on the way when they pulled it (i have ingame footage of it on a promo video tape which also had a long ad for halflife) is Gunvalkyrie. how great would that game have been on dc?? its an astounding game on xbox, the graphics are intense and the level design is rock hard!! not to mention the heat effects that eminate from the boost packs the characters use. did you guys know it was orriginally going to be cell shaded?? how cool is that.

Yes, Gunvalkyrie was a project that was intended to be a Dreamcast release.

Another game that was clearly going to be a Dreamcast release was Shinobi for the Playstation 2. The graphics scream Dreamcast, and dare I say look absolutly amazing even running on PS2 hardware.

---

Let me just say that the final amazing Dreamcast games are out there, or even what would be on a Dreamcsat 1.5 / Dreamcast 2. They are scattered across the consoles of this generation. Im sorting working on this research as well on the side, to develop a definative list.
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:02 am
quote : #10
house of the dead 3 was being made for the DC look http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/drmcmonkey/dcpic.jpg
i got this with daytona usa
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:10 am
quote : #11
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hmm yea I was just checking out some more screenshots of HOTD3, and the player models do have a low polycount, so the game could have started with intent to bring onto the DC. Just not sure whether the game actually started development with Dreamcast development kits, or if the models and art started with xbox dev kits.
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:12 pm
quote : #12
i shall dig out my issue of the dreamcast that had a preview section of "the next 100 dc games" that were due to come out. less than 30 if i remember actually made it. one i can say was going to be ported to dc is buffy the vampire slayer. screen shots were in the magazine at the time but the dc port was obviously canned and it moved on to xbox. it is one of my favourite action games, way better than tomb raider and, correct me if im wrong, it (the first of the 2 buffy games) was only on xbox. also i remember seeing mention of a game based on the mummy movies being featured in the same preview at one time. it was also listed on your little image you linked to. im just glad that evil twin actually made it before the end, it was in the list as well. i shall list what was mentioned in that preview. i must mention tho that the names i will list were not necessarily in the process of developement for the dc they were merely featured, ie: each one had a section explaining the game and a screen shot. its both happy and sad to think that these games were initially planned for a dc apearance.

i also got that leaflet in some of my pal games in 2001 and i must say that having recently bought soul reaver 2 on ps2, it was more than likely well on the way to dc, it looks NO DIFFERENT to the soul reaver port which we received.

i had always believed i would find heroes of might and magic 3 one day for dc as it is still up until recently listed on amazon as temporarily out of stock. i can only assume it went the same way as halflife.
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:29 pm
quote : #13
might and magic 3 got constantly delayed, and wasn't even released on pc until dreamcast had stopped being supported (i believe either in late '02 or early '03). i played the game on pc and couldn't get into it. get warcraft 3 instead or something. there was a spy game that looked really really sweet called picassio or something. it was early in dev tho so no chance of a leak or anything. in fact, what were the games that we're almost finished before sega halted production? (besides prop arena, half life, and...sigh...flintstones)
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:18 am
quote : #14
hey sorry i didnt know the difference of the game it all looked the same to me and yeah there were a lot of games that came out on other consoles instead of the dremacast which is amazing , as if sega didnt went all 3 party games developer on us , we wouldnt be able to play such cool games as sonic heroes ( yeah i really like ) and others like panzer dragoon orta , altered beast , list goes on which in some weird way makes us all the real winners by getting to play such great games even if not on the dreamcast , but hey there at least still coming out .